Texas Fishing Forum

96 mercury 200 efi

Posted By: CWSANDERS

96 mercury 200 efi - 05/14/18 01:31 PM

How can I check to make sure my fire to plugs is strong enough? I am still having problems with motor bogging down when I first take off. I have deleted oiler and only premix my gas.

Thanks,
Posted By: TLW

Re: 96 mercury 200 efi - 05/14/18 09:42 PM

tpi been checked/set?.. injectors cleaned lately? clean filters (especially tha one on tha bottom of tha fuel pump)?.. idle and max timing been checked.. jus some of tha "little" things.... ya need a test board for tha plugs if ya not sure as to what ya lookin' at....
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: 96 mercury 200 efi - 05/15/18 11:15 AM

Like TLW said many things can cause the bogging but some easy things you can check: grey fuel line from bulb to motor( enter liner of hose collapses restricting fuel) thermostats, one may be stuck open or could have been removed (motor needs to reach correct operating temp) check compression (weak or bad cylinder will affect performance) Check each cylinder for spark and check each cylinder for combustion by pulling each plug wire, one at a time while running. You can connect a remote fuel tank to see if your problem is fuel related. Let us know what you find.

Re: 96 mercury 200 efi - 05/15/18 12:10 PM

I will look into these things. I know that injectors have not been serviced. Is there a local place I can take them?

Re: 96 mercury 200 efi - 05/15/18 03:47 PM

do you have an oem manual? if not send me an email addy so I can send ya one in pdf.....
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: 96 mercury 200 efi - 05/15/18 04:21 PM

Run some Mercury Quickleen through it.

Re: 96 mercury 200 efi - 05/15/18 05:47 PM

TLW thanks. You have already sent it to me awhile back.

Re: 96 mercury 200 efi - 05/15/18 09:13 PM

I saw that lookin' back this afternoon.. had any luck trackin' it down?

Re: 96 mercury 200 efi - 05/15/18 09:20 PM

I have not been able to look at it yet hopefully this weekend. Been busy. I am going to check compression and fire first. Would I be best just to start it then start pulling plug wire one at a time to see if there is a difference with motor running. I have a single plug tester but don’t know how well that work with figuring out a problem. I also have a compression tester so I can for sure do that.

Re: 96 mercury 200 efi - 05/15/18 09:31 PM

if it runs ok at idle and wot (once past tha bog) it may be hard ta tell just pullin' a wire at a time.. think low comp and/or bad 'lectrics will show at justa 'bout all ranges. they usually work or don't work,.. jmo. but fuel delivery can act different at any given range, 'specially with efi stuff.. again, jmo.

there is one 'lectric part if you still have it on tha motor.. idle/timing stabilizer.. if so, chunck it.

Re: 96 mercury 200 efi - 05/17/18 06:32 PM

Ok so was looking at the motor before work this morning. I have 2 modules left on motor. I have take the one off for the Oiler already. The is one left on the top of head on port side and one on the side of the motor on port side. Should both of these be removed?

Re: 96 mercury 200 efi - 05/17/18 10:10 PM

(idle/timin' stab.) has white/black, red/white, black?.. (detonation control) has three white/blacks two of which have insulated eyelets and one a bullet end, one white/blue with detonation connector, one purple, one green, one gray/white, one black?

Re: 96 mercury 200 efi - 05/21/18 07:35 PM

Does both these need to be removed or just idle control

Re: 96 mercury 200 efi - 05/21/18 08:11 PM

I always did.. tha stabilizer white/black should have a joint made somewhere in tha sleeve that splits it up going to tha switch boxes.. you can eliminate it with tha module but you will need to make a short white/black "jumper" to go between tha two switch boxes to replace it..

tha det module has a gray/white that plugs into a gray/white from tha harness.. if you remove it you will need to "ground" tha harness gray/white.. anywhere on tha motor is fine...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum