Texas Fishing Forum

Motor Bogging Down

Posted By: Kev-o

Motor Bogging Down - 04/24/18 12:05 AM

I have a 95 Mercury 200 XRI with fuel injection, this past Saturday while on the lake the motor would bog down close to 40 MPH. The motor would start, idle and break over fine. but when the speed is between 35-37 MPH it would bog down. Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

Thanks,
Kev-o
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Motor Bogging Down - 04/24/18 12:53 AM

Sounds like it's starving for fuel. Old fuel hose collapsing would be my first guess..

Re: Motor Bogging Down - 04/24/18 01:17 AM

Thanks Bob, I changed the fuel line yesterday, I didn’t have time to go to the lake and run it. Hopefully I can run it before the weekend, I’ll let you know.
Posted By: boocat

Re: Motor Bogging Down - 04/24/18 12:14 PM

filter?
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Motor Bogging Down - 04/24/18 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob Landry
Sounds like it's starving for fuel. Old fuel hose collapsing would be my first guess..
thumb
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: Motor Bogging Down - 04/27/18 06:10 PM

Timely post. My boat did the same thing Thursday. I started with the fuel line in, disconnected, made sure gas came out, checked the line into fuel filter, made sure gas came out, checked other side of fuel filter, fuel came out, then carbs.. spray cleaner in one hole, it should come out another.. eventually you will find a blockage that you can clear. Just my opinion with fuel issues, start at source and check all disconnections all the way to the carbs... follow the fuel flow, somewhere, you will find a blockage. If you are able to do this, it is methodical and you almost always come across the problem spot and it's almost an ah ha moment.

Re: Motor Bogging Down - 04/29/18 12:42 PM

Update, after changing the fuel line last Sunday, I was able to go to the lake yesterday and run the boat. The motor ran great, no issues. Thanks for suggestions
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: Motor Bogging Down - 04/30/18 12:44 PM

Awesome...
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Motor Bogging Down - 04/30/18 03:04 PM

Clogged filter, check for cracks in your fuel line
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Motor Bogging Down - 05/01/18 05:02 PM

My 2013 Mercury 150 ProXS started bogging down above 3500-4000 rpms a few days ago and I found a collapsed inner liner in the fuel line between bulb and engine. I replaced the 3' section of line and the filter under the cowling this morning. Will test run tomorrow....pretty confident it will run good.
Posted By: scott82

Re: Motor Bogging Down - 05/03/18 01:39 AM

I have a 08 Merc. Optimax with 560 hrs. It cranks just fine. It takes about 20 seconds for water to start coming out of the back of the motor. It doesn’t run hotter than normal. But when I go to get on plane it struggles. I have to floor it and it just gradually planes out. Also, my top end speed use to be 67. Now I struggle to get it to 54. I just changed the spark plugs hoping that would solve the issue. Any ideas on what is causing this and how to fix it?

Re: Motor Bogging Down - 05/03/18 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Ol Man River
My 2013 Mercury 150 ProXS started bogging down above 3500-4000 rpms a few days ago and I found a collapsed inner liner in the fuel line between bulb and engine. I replaced the 3' section of line and the filter under the cowling this morning. Will test run tomorrow....pretty confident it will run good.

UPDATE: The motor ran perfect yesterday after changing fuel line from bulb to engine. The collapsed liner inside the fuel line was restricting the fuel flow to the motor.

Re: Motor Bogging Down - 05/03/18 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: scott82
I have a 08 Merc. Optimax with 560 hrs. It cranks just fine. It takes about 20 seconds for water to start coming out of the back of the motor. It doesn’t run hotter than normal. But when I go to get on plane it struggles. I have to floor it and it just gradually planes out. Also, my top end speed use to be 67. Now I struggle to get it to 54. I just changed the spark plugs hoping that would solve the issue. Any ideas on what is causing this and how to fix it?

I would start by checking for fire on all cylinders and compression. Then I would change the fuel filter (restricted filter will not allow enough fuel to flow). I had a bad stator once and I couldn't run as fast as normal. Also a bad prop hub could cause slippage....just thinking out loud.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum