Texas Fishing Forum

Mercury going full 4 stroke?

Posted By: Allison1

Mercury going full 4 stroke? - 04/19/18 12:29 PM

It appears that way to me.

They have already quit producing some of their small hp motors with the new 3.4 four stroke. I read just this morning they were testing some larger 4.5 and 4.8L blocks from 300 to 450 hp at Lake X. Will any 2 strokes survive? I imagine if any they will be racing motors.
Posted By: TLW

Re: Mercury going full 4 stroke? - 04/19/18 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Allison1
Will any 2 strokes survive?

mercury?... no....
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Mercury going full 4 stroke? - 04/19/18 01:51 PM

A V8 250hp-300hp coming out real soon, guys are already putting down deposits for them. Only mercury racing will have a 2 stroke and who knows how long those will exist.

Re: Mercury going full 4 stroke? - 04/19/18 09:46 PM

merc opti's (production and racing) will be gone.. parts will be available for quite a while though... s2000/3000, f1's, f2's may continue for awhile to tha race teams over seas.. they have already quite production on those for usa..... hot rod 2.5 stuff is already at a premium...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM5LymrRRpY
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Mercury going full 4 stroke? - 04/20/18 01:51 AM

Have been expecting it for some time.

Re: Mercury going full 4 stroke? - 04/20/18 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: gary purdy
Have been expecting it for some time.

yeah, but expect tha 4 stroke "tweakers" ta start gettin' in on tha performance side.... jus progress tha epa way!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Mercury going full 4 stroke? - 04/20/18 04:45 PM

As an owner of both I cant believe its taken them this long.
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: Mercury going full 4 stroke? - 04/23/18 03:20 AM

Tohatsu...still makes 2 strokes and they pretty much made mercury motors up to 90hp. Proven motor, design has been around a long time.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Mercury going full 4 stroke? - 04/25/18 11:51 AM

It would take a lot to talk me out of my Evinrude Etec. Love the power and torque of the two strokes
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Mercury going full 4 stroke? - 04/25/18 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Alumacraft 14
Tohatsu...still makes 2 strokes and they pretty much made mercury motors up to 90hp. Proven motor, design has been around a long time.
Thats odd because the big Tohatsu's are just a black Honda.
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: Mercury going full 4 stroke? - 04/27/18 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Bossbowman
Originally Posted By: Alumacraft 14
Thats odd because the big Tohatsu's are just a black Honda.

Yes, the 4 stroke motors that are blue are honda made motors. Their black/purple color TLDI 2 strokes up to 115hp are pure tohatsu.

I have a 2005 25hp 2 stroke mercury, made in Japan and it is really a tohatsu. I have ran the hell out of the motor, most of my runs are 1.5hrs long at full rpm. The motor has never failed me.

Which lead me to purchase a 50hp TLDI tohatsu 2 stroke. I like knowing the basic design of the motor has been around for 50+ years, new stuff has been added along the way, but the main design is still there. Most of the problems have been worked out and because of that the motor will run freaking forever. That appeals to me, since I keep motors a hell of a long time and run them hard.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum