Texas Fishing Forum

Leaving boat in the water

Posted By: TBS

Leaving boat in the water - 04/15/18 05:51 PM

A question for those who leave your boat in the water all the time. When you leave the boat in the water, do you leave the motor down, or do you raise it where the prop and skag are out of the water?
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Leaving boat in the water - 04/15/18 07:25 PM

I CRINGE when I see boats that are left in the water bang
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Leaving boat in the water - 04/15/18 08:50 PM

i raise it. always been told to do that to prevent electrolisis.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Leaving boat in the water - 04/16/18 10:27 AM

Originally Posted By: T-racer
I CRINGE when I see boats that are left in the water bang

So does anyone else who is or has been around boats any length of time. Under no circumstances would I leave my boat in the water. I ruined one long ago and never again.

Re: Leaving boat in the water - 04/16/18 02:11 PM

I do agree and don't like to leave them in the water. This is a small pontoon boat that is for my wife. She wanted a boat that we could leave in the water and she could go out by herself. It is all metal and I have seat covers on it. I know it is going to get dirty but she is enjoying it. I have a small outboard on it and am just wondering if I should leave the prop down or raise it up. I am leaning towards keeping it raised.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Leaving boat in the water - 04/16/18 02:41 PM

Saw a used boat lift for sale on A FB site the other day for $1500. Dont know if you have a dock for it though. Just trying to help.,

Re: Leaving boat in the water - 04/16/18 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Curtbass
Saw a used boat lift for sale on A FB site the other day for $1500. Dont know if you have a dock for it though.Just trying to help.,

thumb
Posted By: Cigga

Re: Leaving boat in the water - 04/17/18 04:21 AM

Raise motor unless you are expecting freezing temperatures. Then you leave it down. If buying a used lift, be prepared to pay another 1500 to move it and installed. I just did.

Re: Leaving boat in the water - 04/17/18 02:25 PM

I don't have a dock, so it is just tied up to the pier. If I am going to be away for more than a few weeks, I plan on putting it on the trailer. I will definitely put it on the trailer and cover it for the winter. I think I agree, lift the prop out of the water when not there. Seems to make sense.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Leaving boat in the water - 04/17/18 10:53 PM

In the summer, raise it up out of the water. It will cut down on algae growth. In the winter we lift boats and leave the motor down to drain all the cooling water and prevent or reduce the chance of damage due to a freeze. You will see a loss of performance once algae starts growing on the pontoons.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum