Texas Fishing Forum

Trouble with Starting

Posted By: Stew

Trouble with Starting - 04/11/18 05:10 PM

I have a 2003 Yamaha OX66 250. It starts like a champ on the first crank when I initially get to the boat ramp, but if I make a run and fish for 20 minutes, the next time I go to start the motor, it could take up to 10 turns of the key before I finally get it started. I replaced the spark plugs, because that is about the extent of my mechanical ability. Any ideas?
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Trouble with Starting - 04/12/18 01:44 PM

Fuel bulb is the first suspect.
Posted By: skeeteroneal

Re: Trouble with Starting - 04/14/18 02:52 PM

If not the fuel bulb then it couple be one of the fuel pumps. My old Skeeter was doing this. Had them rebuilt and problem was solved.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Trouble with Starting - 04/14/18 09:28 PM

Fuel pump diaphragms need replacing.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Trouble with Starting - 04/17/18 02:29 PM

This is interesting. I have the opposite problem. Takes me forever to get it started the first time, then it runs great. When I start it to move between spots it starts fine unless I have sat in the same area a long time. Then when I try and start it could take several attempts.

It is almost like there is not enough fuel getting to the motor to start it. I can pump the primer until it gets hard, then it does better starting, but it seems that pressure is not staying as when I check the primer bulb later it needs to be pumped again.

Sound like fuel pump or possibly just the primer bulb?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum