Texas Fishing Forum

Fuel Line issues

Posted By: RJF1423

Fuel Line issues - 03/19/18 03:43 PM

I've got a '92 Mariner 200 2.5L EFI on my Champ. It has run well intermittently. The first time I had an issue, there was a small fuel line that busted and I replaced it. Then, it wouldn't start unless I had my wife pump the bulb while starting. I spent a week at the lake and that's how I would start the motor every time. Pump the bulb a few times and it would fire up and run perfectly until I turned it off or idled for a while. The primer bulb wouldn't hold pressure and we would have to put fuel in the line every time before we started the motor.

Now, I can't even get it started anymore. Replaced the fuel line from the tank to the motor and put in a new bulb. Still won't hold pressure. I would say it takes about 15-30 seconds or so for the bulb and line to empty. With the new fuel line and bulb, the bulb actually will get hard now and seems to drain a bit slower but still won't hold fuel. The old one wouldn't even get full. When I got home from a week at the lake, I tried to start it again and it cranks but won't fire up even when pumping the bulb. Then, I noticed a gas smell coming from the lower unit and noticed fuel leaking onto the grass underneath the motor. I couldn't tell where it was coming from either.

Anyone have an idea as to what is going on before I go take it in to get it looked at?
Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: Fuel Line issues - 03/19/18 05:38 PM

I'm no expert but it sounds like there is a "plumbing" problem since the bulb won't hold fuel. I had a similar issue after I got a small split in some of my fuel hose and the bulb had a pinhole in it from age. But when I replaced everything and cinched everything on tight with small hose clamps, it fixed the issue. Sorry that's much not help. I feel for ya, having issues with your boat stinks.
Posted By: Ranger-188-2007

Re: Fuel Line issues - 03/19/18 05:51 PM

Might have a small air leak somewhere!
Posted By: EastBay Boats

Re: Fuel Line issues - 03/20/18 11:50 AM

Check the suction tube at the tank, pull it out, if its plastic could be cracked, if its aluminum could be rotted and corrsion ate it up,
Posted By: Droyhef

Re: Fuel Line issues - 03/20/18 02:17 PM

Pumping fuel bulb and getting fuel around your cowling, smelling fuel? You have a leak. Check every fuel connection. Start high and work your way lower. If that doesn't work get a bright flashlight and observe your motor with the cowling off while your helper pumps the primer bulb. Get you a parts diagram to help make sure you do not miss any connections.
Posted By: RJF1423

Re: Fuel Line issues - 03/21/18 04:07 PM

Thanks for the advice fellas! Will be working on it later this week so hopefully I can figure it out.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Fuel Line issues - 03/21/18 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Dawson Hefner
Pumping fuel bulb and getting fuel around your cowling, smelling fuel? You have a leak. Check every fuel connection. Start high and work your way lower. If that doesn't work get a bright flashlight and observe your motor with the cowling off while your helper pumps the primer bulb. Get you a parts diagram to help make sure you do not miss any connections.

What he said.......^^^^^
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum