Texas Fishing Forum

Baystar Hydraulic Steering and HP limit

Posted By: SFAJACKS44

Baystar Hydraulic Steering and HP limit - 03/03/18 11:37 PM

I have a 2009 Skeeter 190Sx with a 2008 Yamah VMAX 150. Wanting to replace R&P steering cable system with hydraulic. Researching and the Baystar is rated up to 150 Hp and the SaeStar is rated from 150-300 Hp. The price difference between the two systems is appreciable. Can the Baystar system handle my motor in your opinions?
Posted By: EastBay Boats

Re: Baystar Hydraulic Steering and HP limit - 03/04/18 12:34 AM

Had a customer come into the shop, wanted a new hydrolic steering system and choose the bay star over the sea star, running a 140 suzuki on a center console hull, it fell into the slot limit for the bay star, so we installed it, the helm/pump never seamed to hold the motor straight, it would drift off course, we would bleed it thinking it had air in the system and that was not the problem, we installed a bigger helm/pump and never saw him again with that problem, for now on l don't sell bay star systems for any horsepower over a 115/125
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Baystar Hydraulic Steering and HP limit - 03/04/18 02:12 AM

Do not ever rig bay star with a V 6.
I don’t care what they say. I was slung out of a boat with a 150 when the bay star couldn’t hold the torque and went full lock turn and couldn’t come out of it.
Just Don’t.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Baystar Hydraulic Steering and HP limit - 03/04/18 02:15 AM

Do not ever rig bay star with a V 6.
I don’t care what they say. I was slung out of a boat with a 150 when the bay star couldn’t hold the torque and went full lock turn and couldn’t come out of it.
Just Don’t.
Posted By: SFAJACKS44

Re: Baystar Hydraulic Steering and HP limit - 03/04/18 02:15 AM

That’s all I needed to hear guys. That’s what my gut was telling me.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Baystar Hydraulic Steering and HP limit - 03/04/18 03:29 PM

The Bay Star is really "close to" 150, really best at 115 and below. If you are 150, you need the Sea Star.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Baystar Hydraulic Steering and HP limit - 03/04/18 05:22 PM

Sea Star on V6 motors. Period. Spend a few hundred dollars over safety & reliability.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum