Texas Fishing Forum

Suzuki 250SS

Posted By: John A.

Suzuki 250SS - 02/28/18 02:30 AM

My father is looking at a boat with a 2017 Suzuki 250SS. He is wanting some feedback from some people who actually have this engine or ridden in one.

What kind of speed difference should he have compared to a merc?

What kind of holeshot does the engine have?

What kind of special Maintance may be required?

What is your overall opinion on the motor?

Thanks in advanced. It's a big decision and he wants to do all his homework since he has never ran a Suzuki.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Suzuki 250SS - 02/28/18 02:58 AM

I have researched them quite a bit. Not as fast as a Merc, but one of the most reliable motors made. If I had a choice for a motor it would be my first choice, with Yamaha being 2 and merc the 3rd. Honda’s are also very reliable, but I can’t stand the look of them.

But what kind of boat are you talking about, bay or bass boat?
Posted By: John A.

Re: Suzuki 250SS - 02/28/18 03:42 AM

Looking at a bass boat. It will be freshwater only.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Suzuki 250SS - 02/28/18 02:23 PM

I'd check and make sure Suzuki maintenance is available in the area.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Suzuki 250SS - 02/28/18 07:06 PM

they are good motors an have picked up some market share from folks that would have bought yamahas if they were not in short supply.
Posted By: Blake's Boats

Re: Suzuki 250SS - 02/28/18 07:15 PM

Aside from the 600 or so lb. weight of it, it's said to have a decent holeshot and top end if propped correctly. Dealer base in my opinion is limited as is qualified service techs if you get in need of serious repair. I would think the retail of the boat (when you're ready) will take a hit, because it's not one of the leading brands hanging off the back. All in all, Suzuki makes a good product, but dealer base and servicing would have me concerned.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Suzuki 250SS - 03/01/18 12:48 PM

I have several customers with Suzuki`s and all I can say is What Service? Normal maintenance oil and oil filter changes are no different, water pump service is no different.
Posted By: triton37

Re: Suzuki 250SS - 03/02/18 11:47 AM

If something was to happen, lose a lower unit, etc. Would getting parts for this engine concern you? Thanks
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum