Texas Fishing Forum

Yamaha 300 Exhaust

Posted By: Chuck72

Yamaha 300 Exhaust - 01/28/18 10:41 PM

I test drove a boat today with a Yamaha 300 hdpi 2005. I noticed a lot of water spraying out of the upper exhaust ports. Reverse and idle seemed to be the worst, not much spray in forward. I was told this was normal. My Merc 150 doesn't do it, at least not to the point I would notice it.. By spray I mean it was like a Pump up sprayer being constantly sprayed.

Also the back bottom 1/4 of the skeg is ripped off and the lower unit (looks like a backing incident) and the lower unit has a lot of battle scars and gouges. I know the skeg is cast and can be repaired, but it still concerns me. Oil looks good, just looks beat to heck..

The boat rides great and has plenty of power enigine seems fine running. Am I wrong to have concerns about these two items?
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Yamaha 300 Exhaust - 01/29/18 01:52 AM

spray out the exhaust port is normal.

You don't repair the skeg of a motor that high in horsepower and capable of the speeds it can deliver, you replace the case.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Yamaha 300 Exhaust - 01/29/18 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman

You don't repair the skeg of a motor that high in horsepower and capable of the speeds it can deliver, you replace the case.
So TRUE!
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Yamaha 300 Exhaust - 01/29/18 03:52 AM

You can find a replacement HPDI case for a decent price. Use that as a bargaining chip.
Posted By: boatman025

Re: Yamaha 300 Exhaust - 01/29/18 04:53 PM

I have some HPDI Lower Unit housing

Re: Yamaha 300 Exhaust - 01/29/18 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: boatman025
I have some HPDI Lower Unit housing

Left you a voicemail

Re: Yamaha 300 Exhaust - 01/29/18 08:05 PM

Thanks everyone... I knew the answer to the Skeg, sometimes you just need a few outside opinions to beat the answer you know into you head. Like T-Racer said I negotiated the price down and will have Gary at Hughes Marine Service do the work.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Yamaha 300 Exhaust - 01/30/18 04:28 AM

I've never owned Yamaha, but water coming out the exhaust to me sounds like a healthy/happy engine! Same way that water leaks out the exhaust on cars
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Yamaha 300 Exhaust - 01/31/18 01:40 AM

Sweet enjoy new MOTA!!!
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Yamaha 300 Exhaust - 01/31/18 11:19 AM

Originally Posted By: dk2429
I've never owned Yamaha, but water coming out the exhaust to me sounds like a healthy/happy engine! Same way that water leaks out the exhaust on cars

I get what you're saying, but its a little different comparing an outboard to an automobile engine. Water that exits from the exhaust on a outboard is residual water used to cool the tuner and downhousing. You hope the water from an auto engine is just condensation, because the other scenario gets expensive real fast.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum