Texas Fishing Forum

low power

Posted By: Gregg R

low power - 01/19/18 04:31 PM

I have a 2008 200 optimax, I recently took my boat out after sitting about 2 months, I let it warm up about 15 or 20 minutes, started off and it would not go past 2000rpms, had the pedal to the floor and would never plane off, took it back to the dock, let it set, took off about a couple of hours later, ran fine, came back to dock, set for about 1 hour, then went out and bogged down again. Could this be a fuel issue, I put gas stabilizer in everytime I put gas in. Could it be plugs, I have not changed them in about 3 years, sorry for the long post, just trying to explain best I can, thank you.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: low power - 01/19/18 05:30 PM

Did you get any alarms?

Re: low power - 01/19/18 05:59 PM

Nope, no alarms, have done some more research, could it be a fuel filter?

Re: low power - 01/19/18 06:31 PM

Could be. How old is fuel supply hose and primer bulb?

Re: low power - 01/19/18 07:08 PM

not sure, I have had the boat almost three years and have not changed them.

Re: low power - 01/19/18 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Gregg R
not sure, I have had the boat almost three years and have not changed them.

From a cost effectiveness/probable cause stand point I think I would drain/replace old fuel, go ahead (since 3 years old)and replace spark plugs and fuel filter. Drain the VST tank. Replace fuel supply line and primer bulb. Take it out and run it and see if problem is corrected.

If not, you'll probably need a Merc. tech. to troubleshoot.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: low power - 01/20/18 03:25 PM

If it has the gray w/ blue writing fuel supply line, change it. If it`s not collapsed now it will be soon. Also make sure the throttle is at idle, pull back on the hot foot before starting. Thought this was only an E-tec problem but found out the TPS on these Optimax motors can be extremely sensitive too.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: low power - 01/20/18 05:03 PM

Whatever you do get it diagnosed and fixed, the fastest way to blow a pressurized two stroke is to starve a cylinder for fuel.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum