Texas Fishing Forum

small Jon boat or plastic bass boat

Posted By: basshunter2000

small Jon boat or plastic bass boat - 11/29/17 02:23 AM

I'm trying to decide to either get a small 14' Jon boat or a plastic bass boat, seems like I will be restricted to the same water ways in either of them just don't know which way to go, I would love to be able to fish big lakes but I don't know if a Jon boat could handle that. any advice would be great
Posted By: BODA

Re: small Jon boat or plastic bass boat - 11/29/17 01:30 PM

are you wanting a trolling motor/pickup bed loading unloading setup? or a trailer and outboard? Id say go with a jon, and there are hundreds of them on craigslist in different shapes and sizes.

I cringe every time I see these little things crossing a lake, or heading out in windy conditions. Know the limits of the boat and for goodness sake wear a life jacket
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: small Jon boat or plastic bass boat - 11/29/17 07:20 PM

I like the plastic boats myself as I think they are generally more stable but you could put a little gas motor on the Jon boat and open up more possible fishing areas.
Posted By: Droyhef

Re: small Jon boat or plastic bass boat - 12/03/17 11:02 PM

At 14' get a wide aluminum. It will be more stable than the plastic ones, have a decent resale and you can take it anywhere conditions permitting. You can put a small outboard on it or not, add decks if you want, etc.
Posted By: broncos1

Re: small Jon boat or plastic bass boat - 12/04/17 05:56 PM

Any threads on here for tricking out jon boats?
Posted By: gar1970

Re: small Jon boat or plastic bass boat - 12/05/17 09:29 PM

Tinboats.net
Posted By: Chris B

Re: small Jon boat or plastic bass boat - 12/06/17 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: broncos1
Any threads on here for tricking out jon boats?

There is a sub forum in the Boats and Motors section. I've been thinking about tricking out a jon boat for pond fishing. I want a micro power pole for fishing windy days.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum