Texas Fishing Forum

Travel on a plane with R&R question

Posted By: OleMissPharmacy

Travel on a plane with R&R question - 08/22/17 01:53 AM

I will be flying in the near future and would like to take my spinning outfit with me. The reel, I can detach and put in my carry-on, I think. Unless TSA has a problem with it. Would mono on a spinning reel cause any problems?

How do I take the rod? I assume I should buy one of those hard-shell carry cases from somewhere and put it with normal luggage?

Any suggestions on what carry case to use and where to get it?

Thanks.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Travel on a plane with R&R question - 08/22/17 01:07 PM

Depending on the fish you plan on chasing, you can get a collapsing rod and spinning reel. If the fish are going to require more than a med lite rod, you have a couple of options.

Nicer reel in your checked bag and a 2-piece rod in a protective checked case or my personal favorite. Nice reel in my checked bag and a buy a less expensive 1-piece rod there and on my last day, give it to a kid I see fishing.
Posted By: OleMissPharmacy

Re: Travel on a plane with R&R question - 08/23/17 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Capt Craig
Nice reel in my checked bag and a buy a less expensive 1-piece rod there and on my last day, give it to a kid I see fishing.

I like this idea. This sounds the easiest. Will be flying to Atlanta and then driving north to the mountains in Highlands, NC. Might have a chance to do some trout fishing.
Posted By: jwcromer

Re: Travel on a plane with R&R question - 09/05/17 12:31 AM

buy the rod when you get to the area,give it to the boy scouts when you leave
Posted By: Mo

Re: Travel on a plane with R&R question - 09/18/17 07:38 PM

If you want a quality travel rod ,
try
https://tforods.com/

good luck

MO
Posted By: PiePuncher

Re: Travel on a plane with R&R question - 09/24/17 08:13 AM

Daiwa ardito travel rod or st croix. Both are inexpensive and can be carried on. It cost me $70 round trip for my last few trips to Yosemite for my one ultra light.
I finally purchased travel rods to save cash and not have to wait in the long check lines.
I bought st croix tidemasters for my keys trips and other beach travels
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum