Texas Fishing Forum

Spinning reel issue

Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Spinning reel issue - 07/26/17 02:04 AM

My bail isn't closing back all the way. Staying kinda up enough that have fish on and try to reel and line keeps slipping over it. Any suggestions on how to fix it or is it toast? I can push it down manually no problem but it sometimes still slips up at worst times.
Posted By: cadman

Re: Spinning reel issue - 07/26/17 01:21 PM

Don't know what kind of reel you have, but many times the bail arm spring gets weak and won't fully close the bail, or there may be dirt inside, causing it to not fully close. It is probably repairable, however depending on what you paid for the reel and the cost of parts, it may not be worth it. What reel is it?

Re: Spinning reel issue - 07/26/17 07:40 PM

It's a Shimano. Don't remember which model but it's several years old and I've got my money worths out of it. Didn't wanna trash it. Hoping to get simple fix and keep.
Posted By: 03svtsnakevert

Re: Spinning reel issue - 07/26/17 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Im RICK JAMES
It's a Shimano. Don't remember which model but it's several years old and I've got my money worths out of it. Didn't wanna trash it. Hoping to get simple fix and keep.

Prolly just needs a good cleaning...remember you should always close the bail manually and not rely on he handle
Posted By: cadman

Re: Spinning reel issue - 07/26/17 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Im RICK JAMES

If you don't want to trash it, then I assume it is worth fixing/cleaning it. Cleaning it might solve your problem, then again maybe not. I clean a lot of reels, and just can't give you an answer without opening it up. It could be an easy $20 cleaning or a broken part which will add to the cost. If you can clean it yourself from ground up and it fixes the problem it costs you nothing but your time.

Re: Spinning reel issue - 07/26/17 09:40 PM

Yes I flip it down manually but times I have to push down more. There's been times fighting a fish and lifts up just enough to start letting line spool out.

I'll get it out tonight and take a lot closer look at it. Thanks guys
Posted By: Baylor_Guy�

Re: Spinning reel issue - 07/30/17 06:06 AM

Another thing it could be is that the bail is bent and just needs to be realigned. Can't tell you how many times I've had customers bring one in with the exact problem and I would use my hands to bend the bail back into shape and it start working again.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum