Texas Fishing Forum

Calling all baitcaster "know-it-all"s!

Posted By: brandi97

Calling all baitcaster "know-it-all"s! - 05/24/17 02:33 PM

I have a CFO that is retiring whom of which I LOVE. I absolutely adore this guy - just a good cat.

My coworker and I have a budget of about $100 each wanting to buy him a retiring present. I know he loves fishing - and woo hoo - so do I! (who knew with me posting here, eh?)

I asked him what he would like in terms of fishing and he finally relented that one can never have too many decent reels. I am a spinning reel user and have NO idea what kind of bait casting reels are decent, and which are expensive purely because of the name of who is endorsing it.

The budget is not in stone - if it is $275 who cares? I was thinking a cute idea would be a baitcaster, some different types of line and a tool to cut the line that would actually slice through it (rather than the dull Swiss army knife I have had to use to hack through a braided fishing line to change a lure.)

Any ideas????
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Calling all baitcaster "know-it-all"s! - 05/24/17 02:41 PM

Lews BB1 Pro Reel
TFO Tactical Rod

Re: Calling all baitcaster "know-it-all"s! - 05/24/17 02:46 PM

Never even heard of Lews. Shows you what I know! smile
Posted By: SwampyMarsh

Re: Calling all baitcaster "know-it-all"s! - 05/24/17 02:56 PM

I have a $50 Abu Garcia Black Max I got from Walmart that has done me nothing but great things. Then you can spend the other 50 on a nice rod

Re: Calling all baitcaster "know-it-all"s! - 05/24/17 02:58 PM

Really? See that is what I mean - some are awesome and $400 and some are awesome and are $50 LMAO
Posted By: Cast

Re: Calling all baitcaster "know-it-all"s! - 05/24/17 03:31 PM

Something old and rare. An old Swedish made Abu Garcia matched to his type of fishing (Cat, Bass, top water) in great shape and then sent to a TFF Abu guru for restoration, new bearings maybe. It'll become his favorite reel.

He may never see another one like it. And they are great reels. All I own, all I need.

Re: Calling all baitcaster "know-it-all"s! - 05/24/17 03:50 PM

That is a great idea!!! I waited until the last minute though, so Amazon Prime will be my best friend. frown

Re: Calling all baitcaster "know-it-all"s! - 05/24/17 03:52 PM

Just post a WTB ad in classified. The pop up regularly. Need to do a little research though and decide which kind. Oh, budget of $100 might do it.

Re: Calling all baitcaster "know-it-all"s! - 05/24/17 04:47 PM

Thanks, Cast!!!!

Re: Calling all baitcaster "know-it-all"s! - 05/24/17 04:53 PM

Do you know where the classified is at or should I start a new topic in the rods and reels category? I don't want to make the natives restless. Sometimes forum people lose their shiz when you post in the wrong spot! smile I have a week to get it so I should be able to find one!!! GREAT IDEA!!!

Re: Calling all baitcaster "know-it-all"s! - 05/24/17 04:57 PM

Oh, I see, newbie, you can't post in classified. Yeah, go in OT and ask if ask if anybody has an old one to spare, might ask a mod first.

Re: Calling all baitcaster "know-it-all"s! - 05/24/17 05:05 PM

Hahahahah!!!!!! Cool it, Cast! I have been lurking since before you were born!! wink
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Calling all baitcaster "know-it-all"s! - 05/24/17 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: lenahorse
Lews BB1 Pro Reel
TFO Tactical Rod

Solid choices.
Posted By: Coach Blalock

Re: Calling all baitcaster "know-it-all"s! - 05/25/17 05:23 PM

Jerry Foran has some awesome ambassadeurs (new & used) on his website. www.hookless.com

He just built a custom 4500c with 7 ball bearings and a clicker for me.

Check him out. Real nice guy too.
Posted By: Juggnblues

Re: Calling all baitcaster "know-it-all"s! - 05/26/17 10:21 PM

Can't go wrong with the abu's just stay away from the s series.
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: Calling all baitcaster "know-it-all"s! - 06/13/17 03:14 PM

It really all depends what you want to spend but for my money if I were to buy another rod and reel today it would be a Lews Custom Speed Spool and a Lews Custom Rod. ($325+-) As with anything you get what you pay for!
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Calling all baitcaster "know-it-all"s! - 06/13/17 11:44 PM

I have several Abu Garcia reels ranging from $50-$200 but I got them all on sale and they are all outstanding reels. Abu makes quality products all the way around. Lew's is VERY popular as well. Shimano is a huge name too. You can get a great reel on sale for under $100 that has some higher end materials and added features. Rods are very much the same in terms of quality and low price. If you want to spend $400 on a G Loomis or Dobyn's rod go for it - any semi-experienced angler can tell they are of the highest quality but you can find many rods on sale for around $100 that can be just as light and feel great.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Calling all baitcaster "know-it-all"s! - 06/14/17 08:07 PM

For a really GOOD reel, for the money, I would probably buy a Shimano Curado I reel. GREAT durability with teh Shimano reels and almost everyone works on them, if you have a problem with them. Hope this helps. OH, they run around $150 at Tacklewarehouse. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Pair that with a Dobyns Fury rod and you are at $250, plus ta, unless you order it over the internet.

tr
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Calling all baitcaster "know-it-all"s! - 06/15/17 12:53 AM

Get him a Team Lews Pro. As good, or better, than some of my $600 reels. Well made, easy to use, and pretty. Haha
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum