Texas Fishing Forum

Abu Garcia C3 Anti-Reverse Bearing

Posted By: Bob Landry

Abu Garcia C3 Anti-Reverse Bearing - 10/28/16 09:32 PM

I have two C3 6500s that when I manually spin the spool the anti-reverse catches at different places. Can these be rejuvenated by cleaning and oiling and if so what kind of oil, or should I simply replce them. These are two reels I picked upon flea bay and I want to go through them before I start fishing with them.
Posted By: 03svtsnakevert

Re: Abu Garcia C3 Anti-Reverse Bearing - 10/28/16 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob Landry
I have two C3 6500s that when I manually spin the spool the anti-reverse catches at different places. Can these be rejuvenated by cleaning and oiling and if so what kind of oil, or should I simply replce them. These are two reels I picked upon flea bay and I want to go through them before I start fishing with them.

Sometimes they can be if not too far gone...just clean the cages and rollers and I use hot sauce
Posted By: Cast

Re: Abu Garcia C3 Anti-Reverse Bearing - 10/28/16 11:33 PM

They are well worth rebuilding.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Abu Garcia C3 Anti-Reverse Bearing - 10/28/16 11:39 PM

These are older 2 speed reels. I'm not at all familiar with those or how it works, so maybe some internet research is in order. I talked to Dads Ole Tackle and they told me these use anti-reverse dogs instead of one way bearings, also a new animal to me.
Posted By: 03svtsnakevert

Re: Abu Garcia C3 Anti-Reverse Bearing - 10/29/16 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob Landry
These are older 2 speed reels. I'm not at all familiar with those or how it works, so maybe some internet research is in order. I talked to Dads Ole Tackle and they told me these use anti-reverse dogs instead of one way bearings, also a new animal to me.

If it just has the ar dog it is just an arm that rides on the star wheel that's on the handle shaft and bites when you try to roll the handle backwards
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Abu Garcia C3 Anti-Reverse Bearing - 11/09/16 07:50 PM

Yeah the older style have a lot more play in them than the ones with the bearings. I have read you can upgrade to the star wheel that has more teeth (forget what series has it) and there isnt as much play. Alantani.com is great resource.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Abu Garcia C3 Anti-Reverse Bearing - 11/10/16 09:09 AM

install one way bearing and the problem is solved, believe I paid around $13 for the last one I purchased.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum