Texas Fishing Forum

Solvent for Reel Cleaning

Posted By: Bob Landry

Solvent for Reel Cleaning - 10/27/16 10:26 PM

What is the general opinion on using aerosol brake parts cleaner for reel cleaning. I know it strips every bit of oil out of the metal, but that's going to be replaced when it gets oiled and reassembled. I've used it for years for cleaning firearms with no down side other than it really dries your skin if you don't wear gloves.
Posted By: 03svtsnakevert

Re: Solvent for Reel Cleaning - 10/28/16 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob Landry
What is the general opinion on using aerosol brake parts cleaner for reel cleaning. I know it strips every bit of oil out of the metal, but that's going to be replaced when it gets oiled and reassembled. I've used it for years for cleaning firearms with no down side other than it really dries your skin if you don't wear gloves.

I like simple green for cleaning...does a great job and def not as caustic
Posted By: Fisherdad58

Re: Solvent for Reel Cleaning - 10/28/16 11:08 PM

Does the brake cleaner discolor the plastic or carbon fiber parts?
I've been using alcohol and a tooth brush.

Re: Solvent for Reel Cleaning - 10/29/16 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Fisherdad58
Does the brake cleaner discolor the plastic or carbon fiber parts?
I've been using alcohol and a tooth brush.

I would say it def can given how caustic it is
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Solvent for Reel Cleaning - 10/29/16 03:31 PM

I'm starting to think more towards GunScrubber. I've used it for years and it has no adverse effect on polymer handguns.

Re: Solvent for Reel Cleaning - 10/29/16 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob Landry
I'm starting to think more towards GunScrubber. I've used it for years and it has no adverse effect on polymer handguns.

Kinda pricey for a small aerosol can...I can get a gallon of simple green for that price...not sure how far the gun scrubber will go
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Solvent for Reel Cleaning - 10/31/16 03:16 PM

I would use carb cleaner before brake cleaner. Carb cleaner is not nearly as aggressive, less likely to hurt finished or stain parts. Plain ol' mineral spirits works well at breaking down the grease for me, and is friendly to almost any parts you'd find in a reel.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Solvent for Reel Cleaning - 11/01/16 05:02 PM

I use denatured alcohol, works great. I did use Simple Green for a while, just seems like they changed the formula, and it's not as strong as it once was. Here is a great degreaser that blows away simple green. I run a auto repair shop in Lewisville and most shops around me are going to this product.

http://formula88.com/
Posted By: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)

Re: Solvent for Reel Cleaning - 11/01/16 05:19 PM

Varsol best there is!
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Solvent for Reel Cleaning - 11/09/16 07:47 PM

Simple green still works great for me. If you use it in a heated ultrasonic cleaner the parts come out looking brand new no scrubbing required. I'd recommend investing in an ultrasonic cleaner if you plan on servicing reels. Will pay for itself in no time. Can be had for close to $60 with a 20% off Harbor Freight coupon. I used to scrub with a toothbrush and all that mess. The ultrasonic has cut at least 30 mins (probably more) of my time off of servicing a reel and the parts come out looking way way better than any scrub job. Just my .02
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Solvent for Reel Cleaning - 11/25/16 04:05 AM

Dawn dish washing soap in warm water and a tooth brush......blow dry on low with a Hair Dryer.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Solvent for Reel Cleaning - 11/25/16 04:06 AM

Dawn dish washing soap in warm water and a tooth brush, rinse, and......blow dry on low with a Hair Dryer.
Posted By: K5RCD

Re: Solvent for Reel Cleaning - 11/25/16 03:44 PM

I've been using engine starting fluid for years with no adverse effects. Cleans well, dries quickly, does not damage plastic or nylon parts, and is inexpensive.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum