Texas Fishing Forum

Anti Reverse Bearing?

Posted By: The Rodfather

Anti Reverse Bearing? - 07/02/16 03:04 AM

Do you use oil or grease on this bearing when cleaning reels?
Posted By: msg_f91

Re: Anti Reverse Bearing? - 07/02/16 03:30 AM

The ones I've seen, like abu round reels and a few low profiles come from the factory greased. I flushed mine of the grease and use oil. But if you don't flush them I'd say a dab of grease. It's the same with most spool bearings. They mostly come packed with grease so if you don't flush them and you add oil your mixing oil and grease.
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: Anti Reverse Bearing? - 07/02/16 07:57 PM

You don't want to put oil or grease on the one way bearing it nesses them up I have replaced a bunch of them for customers who have oiled them.
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Anti Reverse Bearing? - 07/06/16 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: armadillo joe
You don't want to put oil or grease on the one way bearing it nesses them up I have replaced a bunch of them for customers who have oiled them.

Not entirely true. I use a very light coat of oil and have never had a problem. Ive actually heard opposite and that it is bad to grease them. But generally I think either works just don't over due either one. That's where you can have problems.

Forgot to add that most will come from the factory with grease but this doesnt necessarily mean grease is the best option. Most manufacturers will grease a majority of the components in the reel because they don't know how long it will set on the shelf and they also dont know if the customer buying the reel will ever have it serviced and since grease lasts longer they use grease.
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: Anti Reverse Bearing? - 07/08/16 11:46 PM

I just took 4 reels of mine apart and none had lube of any kind on the one way all of them came out of the box never used
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum