Texas Fishing Forum

School Me on Rods and Reels

Posted By: Humannpower

School Me on Rods and Reels - 06/22/16 09:27 PM

So I own a cheap fiber glass rod and spinner reel from wal-mart and just about all I know about rods is that there made from different material. What's the difference between them and at what point do I need to use a different rod and reel.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: School Me on Rods and Reels - 06/22/16 10:53 PM

WOW, there's a lot to this topic! I would read some of Falcon Rods, St. Croix Rods, and such websites.

The prominent reel types are baitcasters and spinning reels.

Baitcasters typically come in low profile and round reels. Round reels are available in different sizes.

Spinning reels are available in different sizes as well.

Baitcasters cast best with slightly heavier lures which are needed to turn the spool to release line. Spinning reels are great at casting very light lures as the line pulls off the spool without the spool needing to turn.

Baitcasters are great at vertical jigging, while spinning reels do very well with topwater and suspending baits.

Depending on the skills of the user, a reel can be used effectively for multiple fishing methods well.
Posted By: danwill12

Re: School Me on Rods and Reels - 06/26/16 12:58 AM

What are you fishing for? Also, Where are you fishing, IE, Docks, the bank, a boat, along riprap at a dam? That would help us guild you more. Probably a Graphite spinning rod and reel in the 2500 class of reels.
Posted By: Humannpower

Re: School Me on Rods and Reels - 06/26/16 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: danwill12
What are you fishing for? Also, Where are you fishing, IE, Docks, the bank, a boat, along riprap at a dam? That would help us guild you more. Probably a Graphite spinning rod and reel in the 2500 class of reels.

Well right now I don't fish for anything specific. I just bait a hook, cast it out, reel in whatever I catch, and then let it go. I just fish to relax and get out of the house.

Right now I fish off the dock but I have a kayak coming.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: School Me on Rods and Reels - 06/26/16 10:18 PM

For kayaking, I would look at a spinning reel - Pflueger President 6930X (size 30) if you are fishing freshwater. Either with a mono or braid. Very versatile. As for the rod, Look at a Falcon Original 6'6" medium. Good starter rod and reel and won't break the bank. It can handle sandbass all the way up to hybrids and stripers.
Posted By: PiePuncher

Re: School Me on Rods and Reels - 07/02/16 08:41 PM

Way to much to this topic. Go borrow someone's high end equipment and braid set up. You won't use your cheap stuff again.
Don't listen to the this brand is better than that.. that's all [censored]. All manufacturers put out good rods. I have my preferences but you don't have to get what I have.. get what you like.
Posted By: jwcromer

Re: School Me on Rods and Reels - 07/07/16 09:28 PM

if you have a bud that fishes,see if he or she would go to the store with you,bring lots of money..............
Posted By: CCTX

Re: School Me on Rods and Reels - 07/08/16 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Humannpower
Originally Posted By: danwill12

Well right now I don't fish for anything specific. I just bait a hook, cast it out, reel in whatever I catch, and then let it go. I just fish to relax and get out of the house.

Right now I fish off the dock but I have a kayak coming.

Fiberglass rods (cost effective examples: Ugly stik, Berkley Lightning rod)
Tend to be heavier. Have a parabolic bend with a moderate action=not very sensitive, but the rod has a lot of give
excellent for topwaters, crankbaits, and other lures with treble hooks
A medium Ugly Stik is a great rod for most topwaters and crankbaits
A medium heavy Ugly Stik is good for large topwaters and large crankbaits/treble hook swimbaits.

Graphite rods (cost effective examples: Abu Garcia Vendetta Falcon Bucoo) Lighter, have a faster action at the tip and (in general) bend more at the tip.
Medium powered good for most middle water column singe hook lures--spinnerbaits, single hook topwaters and smaller single hook swimbaits
Medium heavy powered good for 1/4oz to 1/2 oz bottom contact single hook presentations--Texas Rig, smaller jigs
Heavy powered rod--good for >1/2 oz weight bottom contact presentations (heavier jigs, flipping thick cover) and also when fishing heavy grass/lily pads--ex: topwater frog
Posted By: Cast

Re: School Me on Rods and Reels - 07/08/16 02:56 PM

OK, rod and reel school is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon when we get back. I've got a bunch of them ready to school you on. I would say short rods are best for the yak.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum