Texas Fishing Forum

13 Fishing Inception?

Posted By: jaw116

13 Fishing Inception? - 05/24/16 05:00 PM

Does anyone out there have anything to say about these reels? I've fished Shimano my whole life and a buddy at work swears by the 13 Fishing Concept, but I don't feel like dropping that much coin on a new reel right now. The Inception has a lower price point.
Posted By: redmojo

Re: 13 Fishing Inception? - 05/26/16 03:15 AM

I have 4 of the "E"'s and a KP and I absolutely love them.
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: 13 Fishing Inception? - 05/26/16 11:20 AM

All of their reels are basically the same design. The major differences between the models are the materials used and the bearings. Basically lower end is aluminum frame with graphite side plates and basic stainless steel bearings. Upper end has magnesium components with ceramic bearings. With the original Concept reels the side cover came off to adjust the brakes on the spool. Of course you could drop the cover and lose it overboard. The newer Concepts have a "Beetle Wing" design where the cover springs open on a shaft and pivots out of the way. No more lost covers. This new feature raised the price about $10.
The Inception uses the original cover design, more brass components (cheaper material than Duralumin and heavier), and "lower" end stainless steel bearings. The design is the same with the same brake system and spool. It feels the same as the A, C, and E models. Their aftermarket parts also fit this reel if you want to customize.

So far I have an E and a C. I use the E for T-Rig and light flipping. It is the only reel I have used without a magnetic brake that I can adjust for flipping without overruns.

My personal opinion, if you only fish freshwater the E is over kill. I got a killer deal on an E but all my future purchases will be the C.
Posted By: Shaun Lowe

Re: 13 Fishing Inception? - 05/28/16 12:31 AM

I have the E's and KP's and I think they are great reels. Most of my reels are Daiwa's but, I usually find a KP in my hand.

Re: 13 Fishing Inception? - 05/28/16 02:04 AM

I don't see the KP listed on their site any me. Perhaps not a big seller? Then they went the other way with the Inception.
I wish they had a cheaper shallow spool than the KP spool. I do like their Trick Shop concept. Interesting combinations.
Posted By: Shaun Lowe

Re: 13 Fishing Inception? - 05/28/16 07:33 PM

I think the KP was a limited edition but, I also don't think it was a great seller due to price. There are just not a lot of people willing to drop $480 on a reel.

You can get the the KP for $255 this weekend at TW but, they are sold out of the 8.1.

Re: 13 Fishing Inception? - 05/28/16 10:03 PM

While I was tempted on the KP I ordered another C 8:1.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum