Texas Fishing Forum

Hint to repair my reels or repair shop north of Dallas?

Posted By: jippedgenes

Hint to repair my reels or repair shop north of Dallas? - 05/14/16 03:14 PM

I am familiar with SW parts. But I just don't have time to get down there as I live in Lewisville and work pretty much whenever they are ope. Let my kid take a couple of my rods to fish in the gulf with his friends and their family and he let the reels get wet with salt water while wading and did not rinse them. They are Curado 200 SF. I sprayed them with WD40 then rinsed em out and oiled them with proper reel oil and they work now but it has decreased my casting distance by 30%. I a surethi s not the right way to clean a reel but I figured I would try it.

Hints?
Posted By: 03svtsnakevert

Re: Hint to repair my reels or repair shop north of Dallas? - 05/14/16 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: jippedgenes
I am familiar with SW parts. But I just don't have time to get down there as I live in Lewisville and work pretty much whenever they are ope. Let my kid take a couple of my rods to fish in the gulf with his friends and their family and he let the reels get wet with salt water while wading and did not rinse them. They are Curado 200 SF. I sprayed them with WD40 then rinsed em out and oiled them with proper reel oil and they work now but it has decreased my casting distance by 30%. I a surethi s not the right way to clean a reel but I figured I would try it.

Hints?

Strip them completely down...remove all bearings and check them for smoothness...use simple green to clean them and regrease and oil
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Hint to repair my reels or repair shop north of Dallas? - 05/16/16 09:43 PM

Im assuming you don't know how to tear them down but it will need to be done. Soak the bearings in acetone or lighter fluid and then let them air dry and re oil. You can get to the spool bearings without having to completely disassemble.

And on a side note you can also ship them out to either myself or Steve (the gentleman who posted above me) and we could take care of them for you. Good luck!
Posted By: Frisco Kid

Re: Hint to repair my reels or repair shop north of Dallas? - 05/25/16 12:41 AM

I've always used acetone to clean the bearings. Simple Green is an acceptable alternative? Do you dilute?
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Hint to repair my reels or repair shop north of Dallas? - 05/25/16 09:20 PM

Dont use the simple green for the bearings! He was talking about cleaning the rest of the reel with simple green. I use a 50/50 mix with water
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum