Texas Fishing Forum

Bait cast vs spin

Posted By: nick1

Bait cast vs spin - 05/08/16 09:58 PM

Hello all, I used to fish a lot as a kid and getting back into it. I remember trying the bait cast reels and getting frustrated with the backlashes. Leaning towards spinning reel but was wondering if the bait cast are better these days. Any advantage of one over other. I'll be using it for saltwater specks/ flounder/ reds in beachfront wading or off piers. Not looking to spend a fortune (150 max for whole setup) so if you know of a setup to get or stay away from id appreciate your input. Thanks so much.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Bait cast vs spin - 05/09/16 12:13 AM

For most saltwater fishing involving casting, I prefer a spinning reel. You can throw light baits and shrimp with just a circle hook or a jig head easily with a spin cast that you just can't do as well with a baitcaster.

Hanging rods of the sides while drifting, a baitcast round reel is fine. When it comes to jigging back and forth off the bottom, I prefer a round reel or low profile baitcaster.

For what you are wanting to do, I would recommend a 7' Med-Heavy to Heavy rod (I prefer Med-Heavy) and a Spinning reel. $150 is a pretty tight budget for a rod and reel. Take a look at the Penn Fierce II4000 $70 and for a rod look at Shakespeare Ugly Stick 1 piece rod $80.

Remember you get what you pay for. The reel's performance is important and at this price point, many rods are all going to perform about the same.
Posted By: nick1

Re: Bait cast vs spin - 05/09/16 01:24 AM

Thanks for the info. Very useful. I went to academy and there were so many options, my head was spinning. Trying to avoid mistakes.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum