Texas Fishing Forum

Line spooling frustration

Posted By: cyclefish

Line spooling frustration - 01/07/16 03:03 AM

Line spooling frustration! I'm trying to re spool my spinning reels. I keep getting a twist on the line. I have tried the spool on it's side and with the spool horizontal like you would do a bait cast. Both are producing the twist. What am I doing wrong. It happened with both my 4lb crappie maxx and 10lb Cajun line.
Help please
Posted By: Streetwalker

Re: Line spooling frustration - 01/07/16 03:53 PM

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/American_Premier_Ultimate_Line_Winding_System/descpage-AMPULSP.html

Get this. Problem solved.

It's a great tool and it works. I have two. One for the shop and one for the boat.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Line spooling frustration - 01/10/16 12:59 AM

What pound test are you using? I use 10lb invisx on my stradics and have never had a problem with line twist ever! Also some reels have better line management systems to keep this from happening.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Line spooling frustration - 01/11/16 08:24 PM

I've fished spinning gear almost exclusively for going on 35yrs now, and I have found no one fool-proof way of getting line to lay on one without some amount of line twist.

My solution, and one that I have found to work in every single circumstance, is to spool the reel shortly before a fishing trip, and then once I get to the lake I let the end of the line out (just the end of the line, no knots, nothing tied to it) behind the boat while idling. I do this until all but the last few wraps are left on the spool, then reel it all back in. This will remove all twist and let the line lay on the spool they way it wants to. I also do this ever so often to re-lay the line on the spool, especially if fishing baits that are prone to producing line twist.

I can open the bail on all my reels and the line will just lay there.

This can also be done at home, you just need enough room to empty the spool and reel it back in, for this though, I use a damp wash cloth (I use line conditioner for this) and pinch the line lightly in it to remove the twist and pack the line tighter on the spool.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Line spooling frustration - 01/11/16 09:24 PM

Fill your sink up with water, throw the spool of line in and start cranking. No twist.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Line spooling frustration - 01/15/16 06:54 PM

One fact we have discussed here on the TF Forum before is that a spinning reel is spooled with new line by having the line come off the bottom of a vertical line spool supply. So, I guess it looks like a softball's underhanded pitch. Bait casters are the opposite: the line should be spooled off the supply from the top, so using the ball analogy, like an overhand pitch.

This isn't as important with braid because braid has no bias from sitting on a supply spool on the shelf; but, it makes a big difference on the more elastic monofilaments and fluorocarbons because they'll pick up the directional curved bias of the supply spool they sit on.

For drop shots, I have been using Gamakatsu and Rivera Tackle swivel hooks. They spin around on the line so they help eliminate twist. And, they make drop shot sinkers with a swivel attachment and they also help keep that twisting to a minimum. Beware, though, that some of these sinkers bury the swivel in the lead effectively eliminating any advantage.

I'm not sure you mentioned what presentations you are developing the twists, or if it is just when you are spooling up.

Brad
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Line spooling frustration - 01/16/16 03:21 PM

Yep baitcasters top of spool and spinning off bottom and you will be good.
Posted By: ebl

Re: Line spooling frustration - 01/16/16 09:59 PM

turn the supply spool over.
Posted By: "Old School"

Re: Line spooling frustration - 01/17/16 01:00 PM

YouTube is your answer.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Line spooling frustration - 01/17/16 05:18 PM

I lay the spool with line flat and run the line through a fly-fishing leader straightener when winding it on. Never a problem.
Posted By: msg_f91

Re: Line spooling frustration - 01/18/16 05:06 AM

You have your son stick a screwdriver or a pencil threw the axis of the spool and hold it and keep tension on it while you wind it up. Or at least thats what my dad always had me do and we didn't have any problems, bait caster or spinning reel lol
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum