Texas Fishing Forum

Curado help

Posted By: KenTx1962

Curado help - 12/25/15 08:33 PM

I have a 200DHSV that the drag will simply not tighten down on, cranked all the way down I can stil pull drag with two fingers. I know SW can fix it, but I don't think I can get out of there for less than $75 which doesn't make sense on a reel when you can buy a perfectly functional new one for $125. I''ve always heard the term drag washers, is this something that could wear out and that I can replace myself?

Then secondary post I will likely have a disassembled 200DHSV in a box for sale soon.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Curado help - 12/26/15 01:02 AM

sounds like the flex washers are installed wrong or aren't in at all. has it been like this the whole time you've had it? never heard of drag washers wearing so much you couldn't snug them down. you can get a schematic on the shimano site, then tear it down and compare.

Re: Curado help - 12/26/15 03:28 AM

Ok, from this schematic nothing called flex washers, what are they called on here? And thanks for your help/

reel schematic
Posted By: 03svtsnakevert

Re: Curado help - 12/26/15 11:27 AM

When you take off your drag star wheel there are two concave washers underneath the shaft nut...they should oppose one another

In the diagram they are the drag spring washer

Re: Curado help - 12/26/15 07:07 PM

Excellent, I think you have diagnosed my problem, one of them is very slightly concave, the other is flat. So I am wondering if I have over tightened it to the point of making it flat. Another issue I see my star drag spacer has a concave face, is it supposed to? If yes should the concave piece be to the reel or to the handle. Last question, how tight do you tighten the star drag nut as you reassemble?

Thanks for all your help, I wish you were closer I'd just bring buy.

Ken
Posted By: 03svtsnakevert

Re: Curado help - 12/27/15 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: KenTx1962
Excellent, I think you have diagnosed my problem, one of them is very slightly concave, the other is flat. So I am wondering if I have over tightened it to the point of making it flat. Another issue I see my star drag spacer has a concave face, is it supposed to? If yes should the concave piece be to the reel or to the handle. Last question, how tight do you tighten the star drag nut as you reassemble?

Thanks for all your help, I wish you were closer I'd just bring buy.

Ken

You should have two drag spring washers and above those should be a flat washer...your drag star spacer should concave up to get the reel handle space between it and the drag star to allow for drag adjustment without binding...the drag spring washers should oppose one another

If you keep your drags tightened all the time while the reels are not being used you will crush the drag washers making them ineffective...I would replace them with carbontex drag washers...very inexpensive and a great upgrade...very smooth drag
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Curado help - 12/28/15 05:28 AM

Getting excessive oil from bearing into the drag system can do that. Probably needs a through cleaning.
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Curado help - 12/28/15 03:41 PM

I'd reccommend having someone look at it if you can't figure it out from the advice offered here. I can do it for $10 plus any parts you may need. Wont be any where near $75 though. Probably $20-25 depending on if you wanted to go the carbontex route or not.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Curado help - 12/29/15 06:39 PM

I have 4 of them. Had one that was just making a bad noise. Took it in and explained it to Southwest Parts and they fixed it for free and had it back to me by the next day. Bearing went bad.
Posted By: basspro99

Re: Curado help - 12/29/15 08:35 PM

Ken when you put the drag spring washers back on they should go like this ().
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum