Texas Fishing Forum

Rod selection help

Posted By: Pescado

Rod selection help - 06/20/15 09:36 PM

I just picked up a new rod, it's a Falcon BuCoo Micro 7' medium. I assumed...ha, that it was going to be good for wacky rigging some Senkos.
The reel is a Bass Pro Johnny Morris signature with green 30 lb power pro braided.

I was running a 2' leader of 8 lb flouro but the knot kept getting stuck in the micro eyelets. First question is about the braided line, is it wise to use it without the FC leader? I would assume for heavy cover with top water it wouldn't matter but a presentation type lure like a worm I would think I need the FC.

Should I be running just flouro carbon?

Sorry for any misspellings.

Thanks,
Tim
Posted By: Streetwalker

Re: Rod selection help - 06/20/15 09:45 PM

What knot did you use to join the two lines?

Re: Rod selection help - 06/20/15 11:02 PM

Modified Albright or Alberto.

I just made some cast in the front yard...wow, what a combo, sweet!

The mistake I made was to try it with just a weight...the neighborhood kids learned some new words after that fiasco.

Once I hooked up the wacky style worm it works awesome. Every cast was were I wanted it and I was able to control the bait caster to stop it without what would be a clunk.
Now that it's correctly rigged the knot slipped through the eyes without a problem...I am stoked!

I still would like to know about using straight braided. My gut says it's a bad idea.

Tim
Posted By: IdRaTherBeCasting

Re: Rod selection help - 06/22/15 02:56 PM

if the water is real clear I think it makes a big difference to use just fluro... if its stained don't think it will matter much.. if u got an extra rod.. i'd rig one up with fluro and do a comparison..
Posted By: brandon f.

Re: Rod selection help - 06/24/15 04:59 AM

I have the same rod. I use it with 12 or 15 fluorocarbon for wacky worm. I like it pretty well. I wouldn't consider using it for braid. Just my opinion though. I don't throw much braid anyways.

Re: Rod selection help - 06/26/15 04:50 AM

Thanks for all the responses.

I got about 3 hours on this combo last weekend and it is sweet!

I settled on 30 lb braided with a 2' flourocarbon leader. The knot slips through the eyelets perfect. I couldn't be happier...especially since I was guessing when I purchased it.

If you're looking for something, for casting, to put the soft plastics where you want its a great combo.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum