Texas Fishing Forum

New to freshwater fishing

Posted By: BSully1983

New to freshwater fishing - 06/10/15 03:47 PM

Hey all. Been a saltwater fisherman for the majority of my life. I don't own a boat or a way to transport one. I feel that saltwater fishing is much better without access to a boat than freshwater is. That being said, I'm looking to get into freshwater fishing. Mainly bank/pond/private dock fishing. Wherever I can get to with my feet. Bass Pro Shops opens up here in Round Rock tonight (which I'm super excited about) so I'm planning on going to get all new gear for freshwater. Ironically enough, the 2 reels I'm looking at are saltwater rated. I'm looking at picking up a Stradic ci4+ 2500 and a Revo Inshore. Probably mating the Stradic to a St. Croix Legend Elite (ML-F) and the Revo to a Veritas (MH-F). Both 7ft. Should both of these suit my needs well for the locations I'll be fishing?

- Sully
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: New to freshwater fishing - 06/11/15 05:23 AM

It sound as if you've got the reels in mind that you begin your non-salt journey. I'm an H20 man myself, just picked up baitcasting last Autumn, and I like them, but any decent rod/reel combos will probably work for you. Salt or fresh, I'm sure it's still all in the wrist!

Addendum: Dock fishing, I admit, I'm still working on skipping!

...------
Posted By: jbarbier

Re: New to freshwater fishing - 06/18/15 09:57 PM

check out Outdoorsmanrentals.com. You can rent baitcasting and spinning reels by the week to see which ones you like. The rates are pretty reasonable.
Posted By: CajunPOG

Re: New to freshwater fishing - 06/23/15 10:22 PM

I was a long time Abu Garcia fan but I feel like their quality has dropped off. I would try a Lew's LFS reel on a Duckett Ghost or St Croix Mojo Bass.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum