Texas Fishing Forum

New rod and reel

Posted By: wburke2010

New rod and reel - 06/04/15 11:58 AM

Picked up a new spinning rod an Abu Garcia revo s and a duckett rod to go with it. So that I can throw smaller jigs and etc since I am not that good with a bait caster. Which is my next question right now I have two Abu Garcia black max reels and would like to get better with them. Question is if I spend more money on a new bait aster is a nicer reel going to be easier to use and make learning easier than the cheap one I have now.
Posted By: CRAPPIEJIGN

Re: New rod and reel - 06/04/15 06:24 PM

In my opinion the answer is 'no'.

Reason: anglers have learned to cast on less expensive gear and it's proper casting technique that wins - regardless of the price of your reel.

That's my two cents.
Posted By: "Old School"

Re: New rod and reel - 06/04/15 11:45 PM

Practice, practice, practice before you go to the lake or pond. Make sure to match the rod to the reel and to the size line.
Posted By: J.StoneRepairs

Re: New rod and reel - 06/05/15 01:47 AM

I agree with Bass...practice. Learn how to adjust your spool tension and if equipped on the reel of choice the magnetic brake.
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: New rod and reel - 06/05/15 03:08 AM

Yep, $ or $$$ for a baitcast reel matters not, it's all in the thumb, wrist, practice and the patience!
Here are my favorites that helped me!

Addendum:
Video 1, fight through a bit of wind noise, but worth the lesson!
Video 2, spit three times!
Video 3, shave your head so your hair won't add to backlash.

...wisdom

Posted By: msg_f91

Re: New rod and reel - 06/05/15 02:06 PM

Another thing you'll learn with practice is that each reel is different and requires a different amount of adjustments to get them to that sweet spot with each lure. I can grab my Shimano Calisto and adjust it real quick and be lobbing lures in seconds. While I can grab my Lew's LFS and still be adjusting it after I've cast a few times. Also magnet brakes and centrifugal brakes act a little different. So if you picked up that Revo S and started casting like a champ but you are still getting birds nests with the Black Max reels that might be why. Ones magnet and ones centrifugal.
Posted By: wburke2010

Re: New rod and reel - 06/07/15 02:09 AM

Thanks guys, will watch the videos when I am at work as the internet isnt' that great at home. Will work on the reels a little and see if I can get them tuned in and do a bunch more practice with them.

Walter
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum