Texas Fishing Forum

curados, speed spools, and chronarcs...

Posted By: serg1001

curados, speed spools, and chronarcs... - 04/20/15 03:26 AM

First of, I wanna start by saying that will be wanting to buy a new reel soon. The 3 listed in the title are the ones I am considering. The only thing is, I don't know anything about them. Some people say the older curados are the best. If that's the case which model is it? Also, what do the numbers mean at the end of the model name? For example, 200e7. What does the 7 mean and why do some have different letters like "e" and "g" etc? On the speed spool, why are there some that say pro and others that don't? How come some say bb1 and others bb2? How come others just say speed spool and nothing else. Last but not least, do the same lettering and numbering rules apply from the curado apply to the chronarc? Thanks...
Posted By: Nick From Minnesota

Re: curados, speed spools, and chronarcs... - 04/20/15 01:40 PM

For Shimano's it goes like this:

Letters = the series of the reels. The Curado B series is the oldest and the Curado I series is the newest. Same goes for Chronarchs. The E series is the best in my opinon and the G series is the worst for the Curado.

Numbers = usually means retrieve ratio. 7 = 7.1 and so on.

Re: curados, speed spools, and chronarcs... - 04/20/15 02:59 PM

Well that clears things up for me, thanks... cheers
Posted By: turtdogg

Re: curados, speed spools, and chronarcs... - 04/21/15 12:19 AM

As far as the lews reels, the lews line has the speed spool, tournament mg, tournament, tournament pro, bb1,bb2, bb1 pro, bb2 pro and so on. Lews also has some cheaper reels such as the laser, laser mg,tournament laser, etc. They have other models, cheaper and more expensive but for the money, the lews bb1 and bb1 pro are awesome reels. I fish with the curado I series and also have a team lews lite and like both of them about the same, with one being better than the other at certain techniques. The I series curado is an awesome reel,but the e series curado are probably more popular to some guys. It's all in how much u wanna spend and what feels the best in your hand. I am not necessarily brand loyal, but I do like having the best reel I can afford.
Posted By: turtdogg

Re: curados, speed spools, and chronarcs... - 04/21/15 12:22 AM

I will also say this, I still have a curado 200b, which is one of the first in the curado line. It's a little heavier and bigger than today's reels, but it is BULLETPROOF. Some parts are hard to find for it, but all in all I'd say I've caught more fish in some nasty cover with it than any other reel I've ever fished.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: curados, speed spools, and chronarcs... - 04/21/15 12:39 AM

i'm fishing with some curado sf's and chronarch sf's that are over 15 yrs old. untill i can't find parts, i'll continue fishing them.

Re: curados, speed spools, and chronarcs... - 04/21/15 02:24 AM

Okay awesome, just right now tacklewarehouse has curado I and Lews bb1 on sale. Since the curado is a newer version curado, I wasn't sure if that was one of there not so good curados but I guess the G series is the one I should avoid. And the bb1 did not say pro so I was not sure on that either. Thanks anyways, I have a better understanding now of what I want to look for.
Posted By: msg_f91

Re: curados, speed spools, and chronarcs... - 04/21/15 05:16 AM

If you go with Lew's check out the new LFS series. I have a Speed Spool LFS and so far it is a pretty nice reel for the price, they even have a new Tournament MG LFS which looks pretty nice. I haven't used the LFS much so far since I just got it but so far its been great.
Posted By: trapperben

Re: curados, speed spools, and chronarcs... - 04/21/15 11:13 AM

Academy had the Curado 200 lPG on sale and I bought one. I assume the "I" means it is the recommended one. what does the PG mean? Limited testing but casts a light crank bait fine.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: curados, speed spools, and chronarcs... - 04/30/15 12:36 AM

The PG stands for 5.5:1 ratio. The HG stands for 7.2:1 gear ratio. So you have a relatively good reel for crankbaiting or big spinnerbaits or something that you want to reel more slowly. BTW, the B series reels are probably the VERY best Curado made. I still have 14 on my rods and keep them fine tuned and fixed by shipping them to Connie and Tommie Kilpatrick of Lake Fork Tackle Repair (not affiliated, but love great service when I get it.). Hope this helps.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: trapperben

Re: curados, speed spools, and chronarcs... - 04/30/15 11:45 AM

Thanks Thad. Someone mentioned they were on sale online so I ordered the high speed also. I am in Austin this week and not seen it yet but think I am set for bait casters. Now if we could get enough rain to get some of the lakes back.
Posted By: jimritcholds481

Re: curados, speed spools, and chronarcs... - 05/12/15 08:05 PM

my dad throws nothing but shimano, I throw lews, both brands are fantastic. Lews handles braided line better. I have never had an issue with my lews, I throw 2 bb1's and 2 tournament lites and I absolutely love them. Cant go wrong with either brand, I recommend buying both
Posted By: Streetwalker

Re: curados, speed spools, and chronarcs... - 05/12/15 10:30 PM

I've got six or seven of the BB1 Pro reels. Every speed they make. I also have a Lew's Super Duty. All are awesome reels. I'll be getting another BB1 Pro in the next week or so.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum