Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing line coming off of spool?

Posted By: zsnow_92

Fishing line coming off of spool? - 03/08/15 02:31 AM

I bought a new pflueger president reel 6940 yesterday and strung it up with some 12lb stren original mono. The reel is rated for it and i didn't over spool it. I left about 1/4 inch of space. I casted it 2 times and did notice some line twisting I've never really seen before. My texas rig was doing barrel roles. The 3rd cast the line just started jumping off the spool like crazy.. What went wrong here? could the line have to much memory?
I have 12lb spider wire mono on my other reel and i had no problems at all with it. or the 8lb zebco line on my other reel.
Any advice would be appreciated. I want to enjoy my new reel next time out.
Posted By: David Parker

Re: Fishing line coming off of spool? - 03/08/15 02:59 AM

Tie a ball bearing swivel on the end of your line and fasten the swivel snap to a fence.Open the bail and unspool about 40 yards of line and prop up the rod and leave it tight unspooled and tied up for a day or two.Take a wet rag with line conditioner or reelmagic and keep wiping the unspooled line down.Its a little bit of trouble but this is why I went to using braid on spinning reels.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Fishing line coming off of spool? - 03/08/15 03:05 AM

You need to check for line twist while spooling the line on a spinning reel. If you see the line twist, then you need to flip the spool of line so that it is coming off in the other direction. It is hard to explain. I bet there is video on YouTube on how to properly spool a spinning reel.

If you fish from a boat, you can idle forward and let the line off the reel without and hooks or weights. The line will untwist as you idle forward. Then reel in the line and you are all set to tie a lure or hook on.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Fishing line coming off of spool? - 03/08/15 04:40 AM

Here you go, we've all done it wrong before!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rDbQwYv_65Y
Posted By: zsnow_92

Re: Fishing line coming off of spool? - 03/08/15 05:04 AM

Thank y'all for the advice! and the video
I will try it out and see how it goes.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Fishing line coming off of spool? - 03/09/15 11:12 PM

I have seen that video before. I like all of his vids; he does a great job.

Rule of Thumb:

Aaron Martens, the elite fisherman, has an easy rule: for most spinning reels, assuming you have the spool of line mounted vertically, pull it off the bottom of the spool; for bait casters, pull it off the top.

You want it to lie on the reel spool with the same bias and it is opposite for a spinning versus bait casters.

I wanted to add that I have had great luck with Sufix Elite mono. I normally use 8 lbs. test on my Shimano Stradic CI4+ and it is both supple and super strong. I couldn't find 6 the other day but I have no doubt it would work very well, too. I'll try that next.

Brad
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Fishing line coming off of spool? - 04/11/15 05:10 PM

Next time out put your boat in gear and let out all the line with nothing tied to the end (just a raw end). Once all of the line is out, drag it for a minute, then reel it all back in. This will allow the line to relax all the twists out, then it will lay correctly on the spool as you reel it back in. The tension will also insure the line is spooled tight and even.

I have tried all the tricks in the book while spooling spinning reels, and the one foolproof way to get rid of line twists is to use the method I describe above. Braid will not act as bad with line twisting, but I still do this just so I know it's laying on the spool as best it can. I'll also do this a couple of times between respooling too.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum