Texas Fishing Forum

what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........

Posted By: bassing1

what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........ - 06/17/10 10:08 PM

for a shimano chronarch 50mg
Posted By: beezy

Re: what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........ - 06/18/10 04:11 AM

go with carbontex drag from smoooth drags. It will make your drag stronger and smoother and you'll say goodbye to a studdering drag.
Posted By: throwback

Re: what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........ - 06/18/10 02:48 PM

Check this link: http://www.biggreenfish.com/
Posted By: The Tacklesmith

Re: what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........ - 06/18/10 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: beezy
go with carbontex drag from smoooth drags. It will make your drag stronger and smoother and you'll say goodbye to a studdering drag.

+1

This is one of the best improvement you can make for very little money.
Posted By: aggiegolfer

Re: what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........ - 06/18/10 07:17 PM

according to a lot of shimano guys, the dartanium drag in the reel is the best on market already...

Re: what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........ - 06/22/10 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: aggiegolfer
according to a lot of shimano guys, the dartanium drag in the reel is the best on market already...

they must all be drinking heavily
Posted By: seaaggie

Re: what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........ - 06/22/10 10:05 PM

i really prefer the dartanium drag to the carbontex one. much smoother. i used to work on them at islander's custom tackle in galveston

Re: what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........ - 06/23/10 02:44 AM

I am not honestly looking for smooth, i want a drag that i can tighten all the way down and when i set the hook on a fish it does not slip
Posted By: beezy

Re: what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........ - 06/23/10 02:04 PM

yep go with carbontex, best $5-7 you will ever spend.
Posted By: FZ1

Re: what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........ - 06/23/10 02:27 PM

My MG 50 and 51's never slipped. Did you get oil in the drag? You can send 'em off to Shimano to be cleaned and mention the drag issue. They did really good work for me.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........ - 06/23/10 02:50 PM

www.smoothdrags.com

Re: what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........ - 06/23/10 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: FZ1
My MG 50 and 51's never slipped. Did you get oil in the drag? You can send 'em off to Shimano to be cleaned and mention the drag issue. They did really good work for me.

i have them serviced twice a year, I am not sure oil may have gotten on there (not by me though, I am afraid to work on my reels, i will end up with extra parts)
Posted By: tranchinh

Re: what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........ - 06/25/10 05:16 PM

Shimano MG50 is a small reel that use 12-14lbs test line.Max drag about 8lbs on this reel and it's good enough just thump it when setting hook (plastic worm)If you use braid line 20-30lbs test then you need to upgrade with carbontex,it should give you about 14lbs max drag just make sure your rod can handle that much

Re: what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........ - 06/25/10 05:20 PM

I use them to flip, and use 50-80 pound braid on it, it has handled it fine for years but my drag is slipping now

Re: what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........ - 06/25/10 06:11 PM

Well,that's it,then. The line is too heavy for the current condition of the drag. If it worked previously, then you just need new drag washers and/or get the oil off. Consider a flurocarbon line for a little stretch on the hook set.

Re: what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........ - 06/25/10 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Well,that's it,then. The line is too heavy for the current condition of the drag. If it worked previously, then you just need new drag washers and/or get the oil off. Consider a flurocarbon line for a little stretch on the hook set.

i have been waiting for you to say something about floro this whole time, yeah i plan on letting Late4Lake go through the reels for me, just have to find some exta cash, I want upgraded bearings too
Posted By: tranchinh

Re: what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........ - 06/25/10 06:52 PM

I normally set the drag about 50% of line test,for 50-80lbs test you need a better reel and I can't think of bass reel can handle that much .I just change my drag washers and bring the max drag to 14lbs test ,it's should be enough to handle King fish
Posted By: John175☮

Re: what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........ - 06/25/10 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Late4lake
Originally Posted By: beezy

+1

This is one of the best improvement you can make for very little money.
+2
Posted By: bassitup

Re: what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........ - 06/26/10 04:13 AM

Send them to Bikeman...never mind

Posted By: Dan Isaac

Re: what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........ - 07/11/10 05:15 AM

that reel has solid drag already. Sounds like they may be improperly lubed.

Dan Isaac

Re: what is the best and strongest drag upgrade........ - 07/11/10 06:26 PM

Easy to do light cleaning yourself. Rotate the side cover and gently pop the spool out. Clean the spool shaft and bearings with a reel specific oil and a Q Tip. Re oil with 1 small drop of oil on each bearing. Close it back up. Clean the level wind in place with a Q Tip and oil. That's it. I prefer to clean my own reels. If you let someone other than Shimano clean it,they will get oil on your drag. Lol.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum