Texas Fishing Forum

When to use oil? When to use grease?

Posted By: Tory

When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/19/09 04:59 PM

I am cleaning some reels, and I am curious as to when you're supposed to use oil as opposed to grease.....

I've used grease on most everything for some time now. When do ya'll use oil instead of grease?
Posted By: jwcromer

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/19/09 07:07 PM

grease on gears
Posted By: conniek

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/20/09 04:04 AM

well, there's an old saying, not sure where it came from, but it is"Grease the gears, oil the bearings". It seems to work quite well and easy to remember.
Posted By: Bandit03

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/23/09 10:27 PM

How do you take the Revo STX's apart and get to the gears?
Posted By: alantani

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/24/09 06:42 AM

There a four different lubricants that I use in fishing reels. A “one size fits all” approach will work in some situations, but not this one. This continues to be a work in progress. As of this writing, April 2009, here are the four lubes that I’ve settled on.

Blue Grease – There are several different manufacturers that market blue greases for fishing reels. These products are all hydrocarbon based, salt water resistant, they never harden, (important to a service center) they stay blue forever and cost only $5 to 15 per pound. You can service a reel, open it up 10 years later and know that you’ve worked on it before. These blue greases can be packed into non-spool bearings, applied to all screws, gears and other non-exposed metal surfaces, and provide a lifetime of corrosion resistance. The product that I use is the $5 per pound Yamaha All Purpose Engine Grease. Don’t use these blue greases on drag washers.

Drag Grease – There are currently three drag greases on the market, available from Shimano, Cal Sheets and Xtreme Lubricants. These products are Teflon-based and cost from $25 to 50 per pound. One way to separate these products is by melting temperature. Shimano’s drag grease melts at 300 degrees Fahrenheit, Cal’s drag grease melts at 500 degrees F, and the Xtreme drag grease melts at 1000 degrees F. Water, of course, boils at 212 degrees F at sea level. Unless you see steam coming from you fishing reel, you are nowhere near the melting temperature for any of these products. Under the heaviest drag settings with several hundred yard runs, there is a phenomenon called “high speed runout.” Cal Sheets describes a decrease in drag pressure when a big fish is running long, hard and fast with lower melting temperature Teflon greases. This would not be a concern in the vast majority of situations. The product that I am currently using is the $25 per pound Cal’s Drag, although the Shimano and Xtreme products perform equally well in the light tackle applications that I am commonly faced with.

Oils – For years, WD-40 had been a popular lubricant in fishing reels, but it turns to varnish over time and has generally fallen out of favor. Many other light hydrocarbon-based oils are available and provide excellent lubricant properties without turning to varnish over time. The product that I have used for the last ten years is Corrosion X. The polar molecular bonding that Corrosion X, Reel X and Speed X offer will give these products excellent lubricating properties and long life. I use these products on any parts of a reel that need a lighter lubricant that a heavy grease. Handles, levers, level wind assemblies, bearings and bushing are the most common places in a reel that are oiled rather than greased. Corrosion X sprayed into an old rag, after a fresh water rinse and towel dry, is also an excellent way of wiping down your reel after a day of fishing.

Dry Teflon Lubricants – For the last 2 months, I have been using a dry Teflon lubricant from Xtreme Lubricants on spool bearings. After cleaning out spool bearings and lubricating them with hydrocarbon based oils, freespool times of 30 to 60 seconds are typical. Lubricating these same spool bearings with one of these dry Teflon lubricants will increase the freespool times from seconds to minutes. Larger spools with a great deal of rotational inertia can spin for up to 5 minutes when the bearings are lubed with these newer dry Teflon lubes. Hydrocarbon-based oils can form can actually form a hydrodynamic wedge (like a standing wave on a very small scale) in front of the balls of the bearings that will actually slow your spin rate. The improvement in freespool time is dramatic! Another reel tech and I had independently tried this product, saw the improvement, and decided in a microsecond that we were going to use this product in our own personal reels. At issue is what to do for a customer. Corrosion resistance is still a concern, but even my tried and true Corrosion x does not last forever. So how good (or bad) is the corrosion protection from these dry Teflon lubes? I will have a final answer for you next year. For me personally, I know that better freespool will give me longer casting distances, and longer casting distances will catch me more fish.

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/24/09 06:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Bandit03

this one is close..... http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16.0
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/24/09 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: alantani
There a four different lubricants that I use in fishing reels. A “one size fits all” approach will work in some situations, but not this one. This continues to be a work in progress. As of this writing, April 2009, here are the four lubes that I’ve settled on.

Blue Grease – There are several different manufacturers that market blue greases for fishing reels. These products are all hydrocarbon based, salt water resistant, they never harden, (important to a service center) they stay blue forever and cost only $5 to 15 per pound. You can service a reel, open it up 10 years later and know that you’ve worked on it before. These blue greases can be packed into non-spool bearings, applied to all screws, gears and other non-exposed metal surfaces, and provide a lifetime of corrosion resistance. The product that I use is the $5 per pound Yamaha All Purpose Engine Grease. Don’t use these blue greases on drag washers.

Drag Grease – There are currently three drag greases on the market, available from Shimano, Cal Sheets and Xtreme Lubricants. These products are Teflon-based and cost from $25 to 50 per pound. One way to separate these products is by melting temperature. Shimano’s drag grease melts at 300 degrees Fahrenheit, Cal’s drag grease melts at 500 degrees F, and the Xtreme drag grease melts at 1000 degrees F. Water, of course, boils at 212 degrees F at sea level. Unless you see steam coming from you fishing reel, you are nowhere near the melting temperature for any of these products. Under the heaviest drag settings with several hundred yard runs, there is a phenomenon called “high speed runout.” Cal Sheets describes a decrease in drag pressure when a big fish is running long, hard and fast with lower melting temperature Teflon greases. This would not be a concern in the vast majority of situations. The product that I am currently using is the $25 per pound Cal’s Drag, although the Shimano and Xtreme products perform equally well in the light tackle applications that I am commonly faced with.

Oils – For years, WD-40 had been a popular lubricant in fishing reels, but it turns to varnish over time and has generally fallen out of favor. Many other light hydrocarbon-based oils are available and provide excellent lubricant properties without turning to varnish over time. The product that I have used for the last ten years is Corrosion X. The polar molecular bonding that Corrosion X, Reel X and Speed X offer will give these products excellent lubricating properties and long life. I use these products on any parts of a reel that need a lighter lubricant that a heavy grease. Handles, levers, level wind assemblies, bearings and bushing are the most common places in a reel that are oiled rather than greased. Corrosion X sprayed into an old rag, after a fresh water rinse and towel dry, is also an excellent way of wiping down your reel after a day of fishing.

Dry Teflon Lubricants – For the last 2 months, I have been using a dry Teflon lubricant from Xtreme Lubricants on spool bearings. After cleaning out spool bearings and lubricating them with hydrocarbon based oils, freespool times of 30 to 60 seconds are typical. Lubricating these same spool bearings with one of these dry Teflon lubricants will increase the freespool times from seconds to minutes. Larger spools with a great deal of rotational inertia can spin for up to 5 minutes when the bearings are lubed with these newer dry Teflon lubes. Hydrocarbon-based oils can form can actually form a hydrodynamic wedge (like a standing wave on a very small scale) in front of the balls of the bearings that will actually slow your spin rate. The improvement in freespool time is dramatic! Another reel tech and I had independently tried this product, saw the improvement, and decided in a microsecond that we were going to use this product in our own personal reels. At issue is what to do for a customer. Corrosion resistance is still a concern, but even my tried and true Corrosion x does not last forever. So how good (or bad) is the corrosion protection from these dry Teflon lubes? I will have a final answer for you next year. For me personally, I know that better freespool will give me longer casting distances, and longer casting distances will catch me more fish.

Excellent information and read!!!

Now can somone post a Picture(s) of all the various parts that is talked about???
Posted By: MattK

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/27/09 01:46 AM

Here's a little more extensive pics.

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/27/09 01:47 AM

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/27/09 01:57 AM

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/27/09 01:58 AM

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/27/09 05:19 AM

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/27/09 05:20 AM

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/27/09 05:21 AM

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/27/09 05:21 AM

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/27/09 05:22 AM

Hope these help someone.
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/27/09 01:22 PM

That is freakin awesome. Thanks Matt

So, I think I can answer my own question know.

Bearings get Oil
Gears Get Grease (3 G's)
Posted By: LRG

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/27/09 04:44 PM

I have a feeling that if I start on this, that Late4Lake will receive a box of parts like the last pic.

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/27/09 07:43 PM

matt, that is beautiful work!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: The Tacklesmith

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/28/09 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: LRG
I have a feeling that if I start on this, that Late4Lake will receive a box of parts like the last pic.

lol rolfmao

It wouldnt be the first one or the last one.

Great job Matt flehan
Posted By: The Tacklesmith

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/28/09 01:52 AM

alantani welcome to TFF cheers

You also have some great work out on the web. flehan
Posted By: pinesjunkie

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/28/09 03:06 AM

man that is sweet post!!!

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/28/09 08:25 AM

Don't mention it guys. I have a pretty extensive archive of complete dis-assembly pics. Most are Shimano's, Daiwa's, and Penn's but I do have some oddballs like Fin-Nor's and Ardent's. I had posted a lot of them, with comments, on another message board but they have since gone away. I spent a great deal of time writing up descriptions and directions but I couldn't save them before they took the website down. Maybe one of these days I will get caught up on work so I can write them again.
Posted By: bucsfan69

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 05/19/09 03:42 AM

i think i have few extra pieces here..........quantum hot sauce grease on gears, hot sauce lubricant on everthing else

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 05/19/09 05:27 AM

Grease goes on the gears, drag washers, on the frame where the clutch cam or anything else rubs, worm bushings (optional), and a few other spots if you're using it in saltwater.

Oil is for ball bearings, anti-reverse bearing, spool shaft (only on reel that have a disconnected spool shaft like on the STX), brake case if you have centrifugal brakes, pinion yoke posts, and a few other spots I know I'm forgetting.
Posted By: Parker

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 09/12/09 01:34 AM

good thread. thanks for the info folks.

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 09/18/09 02:42 PM

or you might try this video. It takes the big mystery out of cleaning and servicing reels for anglers who are hesitant to try this on their own. Lots of details to help. Greaseing, oiling, cleaning, taking reel apart and putting it back together. A must have for the do-it-yourselvers.:)
Posted By: snagola

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 09/29/09 12:21 AM

For me, putting that reel back together would have me asking one question when I am done: "What is the left over screw for?"
smile

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 10/01/09 01:57 AM

snagola, years ago when i first began my business. i would have a part left over and if reel felt half way decent, i would think part not needed. LOL. didn't take me long to change my mind. LOL
Posted By: bomberboat

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 10/04/09 03:36 AM

outstanding post thank you. i guess i need to start greasing my drags most are put back in dry. im confused on one thing. in the pic's you posted there are two washers? with a bath tub hole in them. have them on my old lew's bbing the washers go back to back
(( or )) or )( or ( )its un clear in my papers for that reel.

you need to print up a how to book on some of the older and newer reels. i know there are so many no way can you come close to all them. the book would be three foot thick if not more .
thanks again

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 10/04/09 04:57 PM

I always put them () but )( is also acceptable.
Posted By: Grant bell

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 10/21/09 10:09 PM

that is cool matt
Posted By: FL-Fishlady

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 10/28/09 12:32 AM

WOW!! I am impressed!! Just never know what you are going to learn when you turn on this forum. Thanks!!
Posted By: way2slickrick

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 11/04/09 01:25 PM

now that doesnt look halfway bad, i thought it woulda been worse than that and or more parts,, ima practice on some old reels,, thanks Matt
Posted By: WingNutt

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 11/11/09 11:22 PM

I have a question, regarding the spacers in the spool tension knob, or actally the lack there of. On the website here:
http://www.abugarcia.com/view_schematic.php?s_id=1719&id=239.240.1716#

note part #s 57 and 58.

I never saw them in my Revo STX, and figured I had lost them, and was fixing to order replacements, but now I notice in your breakdown of the reel, they are not present in your STX either.

So, do I need them, or not? I STRONGLY believe my reel DID NOT come with these spacers, I do all my cleaning on a card table, and the reel does not move from the card table till it is fully reassembled, I would have noticed these parts.

I am having an issue with the spool tension knob. In order to get enough tension out of it to keep a 1/4 lure from pulling line out, I have to tighten it all the way down to just 3 or 4 clicks from being all the way tight. 2 clicks less and the lure will almost free fall and cause a sizable backlash when it hits the ground.

This started after a routine cleaning, at first I figured I over lubed it, so I removed all the lube and redid everything, same result.
Posted By: chuckwagon

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 11/14/09 09:33 AM

That is some nice closeup shots of a reel!

I'm gonna try to get some shots of my reel like that. A Zebco.

Maybe not. grin

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 11/17/09 11:06 PM

WingNutt, actually they are in the picture, I didn't remove them from the clicker. If you look at the picture where the tension knob is broken down you will see them covered in grease.

You do need them. They provide the proper spacing for the spool and increase the range of tension adjustments. If you need some and you happen to be in the San Antonio area stop by.
Posted By: Skeeterbrain

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 05/21/10 01:21 PM

Matt do you have pic's like this for a Daiwa TDA153-HSTA? If you do cna you email them to me. rekost@sbcglobal.net
Posted By: ran_d

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 05/21/10 04:07 PM

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: Lani Ordone

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 07/06/10 09:01 PM

Awesome pics Matt!! Thanks for sharing the info. I noticed after looking at your pics that I have been assembling my reels with the roller bearing bushing and spacer in reverse order - I am wondering if that is why some of my stx reels grind. There is a part (93) on the revo stx schematic that is not actually in any of my stx reels that i have been wondering about. It is not shown in your pics either so I guess it is an error in the schematic or a revision to the reel. What grease do you recommend for the stx? I have been using ardent reel butter, but it does not seem to lube the gears very well.
Posted By: h4rdcore

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 11/07/10 11:11 PM

Ok so i know i could not complete this task and must give you major props on the pictures. My question is. I have cheap 30-50$ reels what would you recommend in maintenace, its not worth that crazy of a rebuild it would be cheaper to buy a new one
Posted By: Baylor_Guy�

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 11/07/10 11:28 PM

what kind of reel is it?

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 11/07/10 11:40 PM

A pflueger baitcast, a shakespear baitcast, a shakespear spinning reel, and the other says south bend xtc 35 its a small spinning reel my dad gave me awhile back

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 11/08/10 05:06 AM

Well thats good to know. I figured it would be more. But really i was wondering on preventative maintenace. All i have been doing is soaking them in freshwater after a trip in the salt but i have had some sqeaking as of late
Posted By: Baylor_Guy�

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 11/08/10 06:05 AM

Thats just my price, some places will charge anywhere from 10-25 bucks.

The best thing I know to do is get some Reel Magic and spray it down after a salt water trip

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 11/08/10 01:01 PM

thanks I will go try and find some
Posted By: Greg J

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 12/09/10 03:53 PM

Great photos of the process - no wonder some of these reels are costly for all the parts and pieces involved. One thing for sure - do it in a non-windy area and lay it all out so the put back process follows good order!

Thanks for the extensive process! thumb
Posted By: Fat Cat

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 01/11/11 03:40 AM

With a hammer! laugh
Posted By: Coast Tackle Service

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 01/16/11 04:54 PM

Blue Grease

I had to throw this in here to just argue a point about excessive Grease and the fact that with very little use it migrates.

This is a Calcutta 700 that came to me from Florida (Serviced by a well know shop). Some Yahoo used this blue [censored] in the reel. It is still nicely brushed in the frame but as you can see it has done nothing else but splattered everywhere else. There was virtually no grease left on the gears except what had leached out from the over greasing of the dartanium drags. What a mess. It takes a lot of time to get all this gunk out to service the reel correctly. There is no way these drags were functioning correctly but I bet they were SMOOOOOOTH!

Click on the images for larger sizes!

This reel is greased believe it or not with the proper amount of grease. The drag has not been greased but the proper amount would not show up much more than this. A light Fingerprint film is all that is required.

Too much oil and grease attracts dirt and contaminants, throws off tolerances, and diminishes reel performance.

By the way, Compare the Stainless Steel clutch mechanism in this Shimano to the Revo above plastic components.

Posted By: Mo

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 01/27/11 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: conniek
well, there's an old saying, not sure where it came from, but it is"Grease the gears, oil the bearings". It seems to work quite well and easy to remember.

+1
Exactly what I was going to say.

MO
Posted By: TonyH.

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 02/11/11 04:50 PM

Great pics Matt, Iam sure all of us on here who have reel repair services constantly find that when we get a reel for service, the most common problems we find is "someone" has been there before us and 'Forgot" a few parts -

Keeps us in business

Thats the second most common problem - over-lubrication, definitely too much of a good thing.
Posted By: bassfishingrod

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 02/12/11 12:20 AM

Thanks for that info. The pictures were helpful
Posted By: Impulse

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 02/12/11 02:29 AM

Dry Teflon Lubricants – For the last 2 months, I have been using a dry Teflon lubricant from Xtreme Lubricants on spool bearings.

You got me itching to try some. Where would I buy these?
Posted By: Txduckgunner

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 05/03/11 02:39 AM

Thank you for taking the time to do that post.
Posted By: MinnesotaFats

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 05/10/11 01:59 AM

I was checking out various reel oil and grease, and , ran across Reel Schematic/Badfish Tungsten Disulfide(ws2) Lubricants....They claim their products are superior to others because of the ws2 and should be used instead of graphite,titanium. and molydisulfide because of superior qualities.....A lot of data on the site about Tungsten disulfide and it's uses,such as NASA's use of it,race cars,etc.........Anybody else know anything about this or maybe have used it?.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 05/19/11 09:23 PM

Very educational....I have learned something.
Posted By: Bug-e

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 06/27/11 01:00 AM

OMG, those photos made right eye twitch and a knot to form in my stomach. I do not have the patience and nerves to break down a reel!
Posted By: Skeeterag99

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 07/28/11 04:01 PM

those pictures are why I send mine to tacklesmith-forget that!
Posted By: Kens3313

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 08/24/11 01:10 AM

Curados are much easier to work on from seeing all the parts from the revo.
Posted By: CrankBait1007

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 09/28/11 09:18 PM

You know there are some many different oils and grease and when people ask what is the best lube for your reel don’t you have to take into consideration how they use their reel. I When I was working on reels I would always ask the angler how they fish and how much attention are they willing to pay to their reel. Me I love a slick reel and being able to heave that crank bait! But I always had a little bottle of out Xtreme reel+ and had no problem reaching for a bottle. I also put a four digit number on the bottom foot and don’t have a problem checking when the last time I oiled and what oil was used (a little nerdy I know) I also am a fanatic about cleaning and flushing my bearings and do this more probably than most……But every angler is different. As much as I love Oust and Xtreme oil if the angler doesn’t want to oil his reels more frequently than if using brand A you have to take that into consideration. This is also why I stress labeling your reels because if you don’t pick up all your reels every time you’re on the water than maybe you just use the super slick oil on your reels you most commonly use.

Posted By: chased125

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 10/16/11 07:02 PM

dang matt, thats pretty good, i cant ever..... GET CAMERA THAT FOCUSED. ha.

Posted By: chased125

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 10/16/11 07:04 PM

but really if you dont got thoes patients like me, and you always give up and break something, just take it to like a bass pro, acadamy, cabelas and outfitter and they will hook you up with the right stuff!

Posted By: gonesurffishin

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 10/20/11 07:14 PM

i know he's got his answer already but ..... it's not WHEN to use oil or WHEN to use grease but WHERE to use grease and WHERE to use oil. good info on this thread ..... thankz, ray

Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 01/24/12 05:18 AM

Do you grease the levelwind? I see it as a gear thus it should be greased. When I got my new MGX the book says to oil the crazy thing. Which is correct?

Posted By: Iron Man

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 01/28/12 02:26 AM

Would gun oil work for bearings?

Posted By: P Lloyd

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 02/04/12 11:58 AM

Ask and ye shall receive! THis is a great thread!

Patrick Lloyd

Posted By: chuckwagon

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 02/10/12 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Iron Man
Would gun oil work for bearings?

Gun oil......3-in-1 oil.....works great for bearings.

Grease for gears.....sparingly

Oil for bearings......sparingly

Oil on level wind.....sparingly

thumb

Posted By: txdan

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 03/08/12 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: rxkid2001
Do you grease the levelwind? I see it as a gear thus it should be greased. When I got my new MGX the book says to oil the crazy thing. Which is correct?
Good question. I noticed that too in the manual. I've always put some grease on mine but did try the oil on it one time and didn't notice much of a difference. who_knows

Posted By: LexyFishing

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/25/12 12:36 PM

There a four different lubricants that I use in fishing reels.

I'm very interested about this DRY Teflon Lubricant.
Anyone here on TFF used it and proved that it worked?
My Calais 100A is tuned and lubed and free spool can only lasts about 45-50 seconds (which is long time).
I have not seen any reel that can free spool more than a minute cuz I always tested the free spool on every reel I get my hands on.

Posted By: ga65693

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 05/02/12 03:38 PM

One of the most informative and useful threads on the forum! Thanks!!!!

Posted By: LexyFishing

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 05/15/12 12:03 AM

Does anyone know about the "DRY Silicon Lubricant"?
Does anyone here who have reel that can free spin more than one minute?
I'm very curious to know.

Posted By: horton5303

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 08/13/12 12:39 AM

Matt, I think you pretty much summed it up.. cheers

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 08/13/12 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Kens3313
Curados are much easier to work on from seeing all the parts from the revo.

I love my Curado 200E7's.

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 08/13/12 01:20 AM

My Calcutta 200 is the longest lasting reel i have ever owned and i have never serviced it except for a little oil after a Saltwater Venture.

Posted By: CENTEX Toad Hunter

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 08/15/12 07:25 PM

Great break down post!

Posted By: Kat-man-do

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 11/11/12 05:12 PM

I understand wanting the longer casting freer spools, but the large majority of us use the spool brake anyhow. That defeats all the performance upgrades that allow free spool enhancement. So is this free spool test a useful gauge or just something that makes you feel that you have a better setup? I realize some people do not use the brake and prefer to thumb the spool. That takes some experience and skill to perfect.

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 11/26/12 03:55 PM

Anyone have a breakdown of a spinning reel? More specifically a Shimano Sienna FD 2500? Anythin remotely close would be helpful at least. I need to clean this thing, been over a year since its been cleaned with all saltwater use. It is getting a bit rough to reel.
Posted By: gotreal formerly known as getreal

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 11/28/12 01:13 AM

http://www.southwesternparts.com/code/viewschematics.php3

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 12/03/12 05:42 PM

hmmmm, looks complicated. I guess I will just wait untill I get some money and get it serviced. Thanks thoguh.
Posted By: bigstickfishing1

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 01/03/13 04:09 PM

Go see or give Matt a call from Matthew's Rod and Reel. I got some of the Rocket Fuel oil that he sells there and it is great stuff. I am pretty sure he has forgotten more about rods and reels than most people will ever know. He also did some custom work on a few rods that looks as good if not better than factory.
Posted By: Aggie Angler 93

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 01/07/13 03:02 PM

nice pics Matt!
Posted By: Lake Austin Fishing

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 01/27/13 09:33 PM

I might have missed something in the thread but using ceramic bearings (dry) makes a massive difference in attracting and/or holding dirt in the bearings PLUS the added performance is remarkable. Boca Bearings has 2 types, ABEC #5 and the ABEC #7 ceramic, which are phenomenal.
Posted By: Streetwalker

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 03/22/13 06:43 PM

If it slides grease it. If it rotates oil it.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 03/28/13 03:14 PM

I use oil for deep frying and grease for baking.
Posted By: 23wyatt

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/27/13 02:08 AM

Has anyone tried WD-40's new lubricants? They have a dry teflon coating one, and a few other varieties.
Posted By: Johnny Neumonic

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 07/12/13 04:32 PM

I use reel butter oil for my bearings and a grease from a hobby store I used for my Nitro powered R/C car and buggy that have actual differentials in them.
Posted By: Extraneck

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 07/26/13 09:35 PM

Cool
Posted By: sam2900

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 09/16/13 05:53 PM

I’m only using baitcast reels. I use Super Lube grease on the gears and Penn Reel oil (same oil as X-1R) on all bearings. On the worm gear, I usually use Super Lube oil since it has a higher viscosity than the Penn oil. I’d rather keep oil on the worm gear and am not concerned with whatever minimal effect this oil might have on retrieve. I’ve also used Hoppe’s oil on the worm gear, since it also has a high viscosity. I never use grease on the worm gear, since it tends to attract and hold sand and grit. For drag washers, I’ve been using Shimano Ace RB #2 drag grease. I have two Daiwa baitcast reels that came with special light oil for use only the spool bearings and I’ll use it on those reels until it runs out. All I know about it is that it is light oil and it works. I’ve never used WD-40 on a reel, however. Isn’t it a solvent that loosens and washes out grease?

But I found the comment by LexyFishing, referencing alantani, extremely interesting and informative. Great comment. I am going to give it some thought and check it out.
Posted By: Fishin' Freak

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 10/16/13 12:57 AM

Don't use either, I always use reel magic for everything from line, to gears, to even the rod.
Posted By: Fishin' Freak

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 10/16/13 12:57 AM

Don't use either, I always use reel magic for everything from line, to gears, to even the rod.
Posted By: gtrplr71

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 11/20/13 02:12 PM

I recently bought two revos and the manual says to oil the gears in the quick lube port and grease the worm gear. Are they wrong?
Posted By: AverageBass

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 12/10/13 01:01 AM

Do all reels have the pin on the worm gear, and is it necessary to remove it to upgrade the bushings to bearings?
Posted By: jnogreen

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 07/16/14 03:38 PM

And once you get this far with it Throw it away and buy a new one.
Posted By: Streetwalker

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 07/30/14 06:39 PM

I see a common misconception here.

Grease/oil doesn't attract dirt. A magnet will attract iron. If you take a gob of grease on your finger and wave it over dirt the dirt doesn't move.

Grease/oil will HOLD dirt, not attract dirt.
Posted By: bassgrabber13

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 12/17/14 07:21 PM

I just took my stx apart for the first time and the best advice I can offer you from my experience is take pictures of each step and it wouldn't hurt to label each part by number during the process. Even though you may have the reel schematic from abu its not always clear about the direction of each part. Luckily when I did it during the rebuild process I broke down revo winch to help me with the order. I did the same thing as far as oil and grease go as well. All my bearings I used quantum hot sauce oil and hot sauce grease on the gears and worm drive. It seams to have worked pretty well for me so far except the first day I took my reel out to use I was fishing in heavy rain and I had to reapply oil on the bearings. There are a few websites that can help you with all of this and I used an article on bass resource about supertuning my reel which involves fine polishing my bearing washers, worm gear pawl and a few other places inside your reel and it is noticeably smoother. I have now done it to my winch and I'm in the process of doing it to my revo mgx although there are not very many metal parts inside that reel to polish. If you have any questions when you are doing this send me a message and I'll try to help if I can, I'm not sure why or if my search skills were not very thorough but for some reason there aren't very many help links on the interwebs explaining this process for the revo stx gen. III. Good luck.
Posted By: bassgrabber13

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 12/17/14 07:24 PM

I'm new to this forum thing and after I wrote all of that I just realized that the post I was responding to was over a year and a half old so I'm probably a little late.
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 02/26/15 05:34 AM

I watched a video demo about the Ardent Reel Care Kit, and the rep showed a good representation of which substance to use where and when. I'd surmise he knew what he was talking about.

Addendum: I also bought the Ardent Reel Care Kit!

...------

Posted By: Indianation65

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 02/26/15 05:48 AM

Addendum II: Video demos

...------

Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 02/28/15 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: MattK

Here's a little more extensive pics.

Matt....you are the OoberReelTech rockon Outstanding post thumb
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 09/06/15 08:34 PM

Look up TSI 301 and 321. Great products and the only oils I use now. I also use Yamaha red grease.
Posted By: FishTJ552

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 02/01/16 11:46 AM

WOW!!! And that's why one pays a professional. OMG

Well done.
Posted By: GearJunkie

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 02/28/16 02:29 AM

I'm not sure if you guys have ever tried using Tungsten WS2 lubricants but we have a great write up on the qualities and benefits:

Tungsten Disulfide is rated better than Titanium, Teflon, Graphite and MolyB lubricants! Rated by scientists as the most lubricious material on the planet, offering a lubricity that no other substance can match! As “super lubrication agents”, Tungsten WS2 Lubricants have proven their capacity to reduce wear by up to 30% , depending on the base oil and working conditions.

Complete Tungsten WS2 Lubricants Information
Posted By: rlivia

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 10/13/16 10:36 PM

The info on TSI 301 and 321 is great. Nice to read about different products out on the market and how they work
Posted By: ScottCook

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 01/29/17 12:51 PM

Those internals look an awful lot like the Curado Bantam I cleaned yesterday. Wish I had seen this post before that.

Scott
Posted By: snagola

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 06/28/17 08:51 PM

I never used grease. I use sewing machine oil on all parts.
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 07/27/17 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: snagola
I never used grease. I use sewing machine oil on all parts.

That's scary. You do know that the oil will just end up eventually running off of everything you put it on and then eventually you will lose any and all protection. There's a reason why grease is used in combination with oil in reels.
Posted By: stapler101

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 02/11/18 05:48 PM

MattK,

thanks to photobucket changing their picture hosting rules I can't see any of your pictures.
Any chance of reposting?
Posted By: LMG

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 08/09/18 06:00 PM

Oil on bearings, grease on everything else.
Posted By: BassColonel

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 04/07/19 08:29 PM

I have a couple of reels that screech when I cast them. I've cleaned and oiled the bearings but both reels still have a screeching sound. One is a Revo and one is a Lews reel. Is there something I'm missing that needs to be oiled or greased?
Posted By: Shakey-Head

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 07/04/19 09:49 PM

Go to spoolspeed.com they have your bearing oil......
Posted By: Gungle

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 03/04/20 02:47 AM

I always use the oil that comes with the reel. Never had an issue.
Posted By: thrashfish

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 08/20/20 08:49 PM

I use Vaseline petroleum jelly instead of grease.
Posted By: atx_ben

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 09/08/20 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by thrashfish
I use Vaseline petroleum jelly instead of grease.

Interesting! I've never heard of that. I would imagine this would work if you're mostly in fresh water, and aren't too hard on your reels.

On all my reels, I use the Yamaha marine grease for gears, Cal's for the drags, and Interflon spray lube for everything else. I've replaced most of the bearings in my reels with Boca/ceramic sealed bearings. I feel like the Interflon spray does a good job of penetrating the bearings. It also dries and doesn't leave a sticky film. Downside is that it's expensive, but I only buy once a year or so.

GP/Marine Grease: Anywhere things move against other things. Gears (as has been mentioned). Also I use grease as a top coat over a lot of other stuff, to serve as a general protective layer. I've never tested this to know if it's necessary or not.
Drag Grease: Carbon and SS washers in the drag. This also works as a general grease, but it's super expensive (like, 10x the price of the yamaha marine grease).
Interflon/Oil: Pawls, bearings.
Posted By: NTX Angler

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 03/05/22 06:33 PM

Another happy customer! If your not sure how to do your reels send them to me. Never had an unhappy customer. This Curado looked like it had been at the bottom of the lake. Would not even turn when I got it. Feels like new now.

[video:youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/7f9GkSSXbiE?feature=share[/video]
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 03/07/22 08:33 PM

I guess just swishing it around in the water isn’t popular anymore?
Posted By: 5-0Bowhunter

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 07/29/22 12:48 PM

Well worth the cost of a professional cleaning after seeing all those pics.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 07/29/22 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mudshark
I guess just swishing it around in the water isn’t popular anymore?

Had to swish mine in the water last weekend. 105 temps make them too hot to grab.
Posted By: Ruark

Re: When to use oil? When to use grease? - 06/04/23 05:02 PM

I lube everything with Sprinco Machine Gun Lube.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum