Texas Fishing Forum

Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden?

Posted By: WisTex

Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden? - 08/25/08 01:45 PM

when did abu outsource their reels to china?

are there still some models made in sweden?

which ones?

for example are the new 7000's made in sweden or china ?
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden? - 08/25/08 02:00 PM

The one my buddy has was made in Korea.
Posted By: Pencil pusher

Re: Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden? - 08/25/08 02:59 PM

Revo S is now made in China, originally was made in Korea. All other Revos are made in Korea for now. The Black, Silver and Pro Max are all made in China. The round reels with the exception of the "BSX" (I think that is what they're called) series are made in Sweden. I have seen some of the larger salt water reels that were made in either China or Taiwan.
Posted By: aggiegolfer

Re: Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden? - 08/25/08 03:26 PM

I believe the Ambassaduer C3, C4, C5 and Record are still made in Sweden.

I have Revo S's that were made in Korea and one from China, and other than differences cosmetically under CLOSE inspection, there's no discernable difference.
Posted By: TheRiverRat

Re: Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden? - 08/26/08 12:52 AM

The Revo SX is a korea made reel.
thats all I know on the subject.
Posted By: kelkay

Re: Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden? - 09/02/08 02:47 PM

I don't want an Abu Garcia reel made in China. I wish they would pull them out of there. I prefer them to be Sweden made. My reel of their's I bought last December was in Korea...which is a little better than China to me, but not much. The quality is not quite what it used to be. But they are still a wonderful reel, regardless. I would rather buy Abu Garcia than most other reels. (especially if it is still made, high quality, from SWEDEN) I do have other reels I love, but I prefer US, if I can't buy that, Sweden will do. The rest I just grit my teeth and try to find the best I can without resorting to Chinese made products. China is not our friend folks. If I see a reel made in China, I will bypass that reel.
Posted By: merc250

Re: Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden? - 11/12/08 05:47 PM

none are made in sweden any more
Posted By: Kerry Dugan

Re: Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden? - 11/12/08 10:54 PM

Most of The C3 and C4 reels are still made in sweden, but be careful some of the lower grade stores sell the c made in china.
Posted By: The Fishing Physicist

Re: Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden? - 11/13/08 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: merc250
none are made in sweden any more

Buzzt! Not so!

There are still some Abu that are made in Sweden. The Revos are NOT among them.

TFP
Posted By: aggiegolfer

Re: Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden? - 11/13/08 11:36 AM

If wherever they make them they have to meet specifications designated by the parent company, why does it really matter?

I could see Made in USA mattering, but if it's foreign, why does the country of origin matter if they are all made to the same specs?
Posted By: XYZ

Re: Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden? - 11/13/08 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: aggiegolfer
If wherever they make them they have to meet specifications designated by the parent company, why does it really matter?

I could see Made in USA mattering, but if it's foreign, why does the country of origin matter if they are all made to the same specs?

I agree Aggie, I mean most of the stuff made in the U.S. is well not very good. A few of the lower Garica models lack in quality but the C3-C5's, Mag-Trax's, Ultra-Casts, Rockets, and Records are great if you ask me. Also they make a good number of reels for the Australian market that are excellent. Even the C4's and Rockets sold at Wal-Mart are great and say made in Sweden. Last year I bout an assortment of ABU's on clearance at Wal-Mart for 25.00 a pop.

I bought a US made Ardent X1000 and it is the worst reel I have ever had. So I will take my chances on China any day. I do not support outsorcing however be careful to critize outsourcing you may find yourself walking down the street unclothed.
Posted By: kissmybass52

Re: Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden? - 11/14/08 08:31 PM

i have a red 5000,when i cast ,and crank it ready to work ,it takes a whole turn to disengage.what is the problem.please help .
Posted By: PEZZ

Re: Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden? - 11/16/08 12:34 AM

I noticed some say "Engineered in Sweden" instead of "Made in Sweden". These might be the sweat shop reels.
Posted By: fool4fishing

Re: Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden? - 11/16/08 11:23 AM

I have some with the Swedish logo on the side and 1 don't. Does it make a difference?
Posted By: cudakilla

Re: Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden? - 11/26/08 06:41 PM

I only use classic styled Ambassadeurs and get them all directly from Sweden. CS, CS Rockets and Proshops in the Classic style are still the best reels for me. Especially in the cool new colors. The quality has only improved over the original ones.

The boxes are printed in China, but the reels are not.
Posted By: Mangoeater

Re: Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden? - 07/14/17 07:05 PM

Though this topic is old (I found it in 2017), it would appear to still be a current question on many people's minds.

The answer is that, as far as I can tell, only SOME (stressed enough? LOL) of the round reels are still both Made in Sweden and of the ORIGINAL design and using the original spec materials. The BCX, S, SX (and others in these lineups) are a highly modified design using VERY inferior materials. They only look like a classic Swedish Abu!

Look for the Made in Sweden logo when buying an Abu Round Reel. Anything else in the round reel line will be [censored]. Parts are not interchangeable and will not last as long as the classic Abu's. I can still buy parts for my 1970's reels, will I be able to buy parts for a BSX? Note: I did not say "My BSX". Here is an excellent video by a professional who Pimps Abu reels, who goes into a quite in depth assessment of the reel, stripping it down and comparing parts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rueo-ptwICY

As regards products made in Korea: Korea is the New Japan with a reputation for high quality products and engineering. This reputation has been around for about 20 years so some of you are a bit behind the times.

The Swedish Abu reels are worth every penny, the Chinese Abu's are not worth your time to investigate them!
Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden? - 07/27/17 03:19 AM

This is why you're an aggie. The difference is profound.
Posted By: Uncle Bill

Re: Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden? - 07/27/17 07:52 PM

If you want to see a top-quality Abu baitcaster made in Sweden, look at the Abu Morrum:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_Garcia_Ambassadeur_Morrum_ZX_Casting_Reels/descpage-AZX.html
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden? - 07/30/17 09:03 PM

Catfish Connection shows the country or manufacture for all of the round Abu reels they sell, which is probably just about all of them.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden? - 07/30/17 09:19 PM

Watch the YouTube video referenced by mangoeater then see if you still think they are all made to the same specs.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Abu Garcia Reels; made in China or Sweden? - 07/30/17 10:02 PM

Have a garage full of Swedish Abu's.. Recently got a new Revo ALX (Korea made) and took that piece of [censored] back the next day and got another Concept C. Biggest POS reel I've ever used
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum