Texas Fishing Forum

Swimbait Rod Recommendations…

Posted By: StreakBreaker�

Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 04:13 AM

Here’s the scoop guys,

I’m in the process of scaling down one of my reels to a 5 gear ratio in order to make it a good quality swimbait reel. However, I’m kinda on the fence as to what rod I should match it up with.

Most folks I talk to prefer a broom stick or baseball bat type approach but I’m not totally sure that’s for me. For example: Many folks I know use a medium heavy with spinnerbaits while I use a medium. I like a rod that “loads up” with the resistance allowing a fish to almost hook themselves…that’s my style.

But, when it comes to swimbaits, I’m not sure if I should keep that same approach. I don’t use the HUGE swimbaits…there’s just no use for me to throw one. I stick with the smaller Huddleston’s, Jackalls, Matt Lures, etc. So, I don’t need anything that would launch a rainbow trout into orbit.

I also have a size restriction. I can’t fit over a 6’10’’ in the vehicle without having an “accident”.

So given the size baits I use and my personal “style” what would be your advice as to a good swimbait rod I should try?

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Streak

Posted By: muggler

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 05:32 AM

so, like 4-5" swimbaits?
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 10:34 AM

Allpo rods makes a 71/2 foot with a colapisable handle terrific rod. www.allprorods.com. If they don't have it on their website give Billy a call.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 10:38 AM

Steez is making a new 8' rod that would be great for your application because the handle detaches from the blank making it about 6 feet. The only problem is it retails for $700.
Posted By: mhood

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 11:37 AM

Just a suggestion but a two piece JDM rod that I have is great for SWB8s up to 3.25 oz. (Kong, Lunker Punker, Matt's, Shellcracker, etc.). It's a Major Craft DC-732X. I have a Calcutta DC250 on mine and it's a very sweet SWB8 combo for the middle to light SWB8s. Being a two piece, you can ship it from Japan for $25 instead of $125.
Posted By: Rusty.S

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 11:37 AM

hey check out the 904 series from hendrix. mike is a great guy, and makes a great product. check his site out.
Posted By: Tim Cook

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 11:46 AM

http://www.dobynsrods.com/tip.htm

Read this info. Dobyns swim bait rods were developed by guys who developed swimbait techniques and are experts with these lures.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 11:50 AM

i agree with tim

Posted By: LWB070103

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 12:25 PM

Check out Powertackle.com they have a 7ft 6in rod that has a med/fast tip and med heavy/heavy action that loads up real good it is the PG104-76 these rods are Developed by guys who guide on Amistad.

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 12:43 PM

Muggler, Yes, 4-5'' baits max is what I'll be throwing on it.

The only problem is I'm not too keen on telescopic or two piece rods...it's just a personal thing.

It'd be awesome if I could find something in the 6'6'' to 6'10'' range...

Any ideas?

Posted By: Rock River

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 01:19 PM

pistol grip ugly stick!

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 02:34 PM

Tim & David, Doesn't look like Dobyns has a swimbait rod under 8' long...nothing I'd want.

Rock River, grab your hat!!! grin
Posted By: ChrisWiggins

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 02:37 PM

Check out the Kistler 6'9" All Purpose Rod. It has a great backbone for hook sets, but enough tip for casting the smaller swim baits and using trebles if needed. Works very well with a normal size swimbait and meets your size requirement.

http://www.kistlerrods.com/p/KR/c-h1-specialty-fishing-rods/HE69MHC.html

Posted By: Anglers Lodge

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 02:51 PM

Use a rod such as a medium heavy crankbait rod with a fast action tip. Is what I use for the small Huddleston etc. No need for a super big rod if the small baits are your thing. It will "load up" like you want and still have the power to handle a big fish. Whatever brand you have confidence in should be fine. Just make sure it is not too much of a buggy whip or you will have backlashes you really don't want. LOL Hope this helps.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 02:54 PM

Hey Streak,
I have a couple of 6'10" Falcon rods that I think will work real good for you. Are you going to be fishing Brandy Branch? If so I will let you use one and you can test it out.

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: TBassYates
Hey Streak,
I have a couple of 6'10" Falcon rods that I think will work real good for you. Are you going to be fishing Brandy Branch? If so I will let you use one and you can test it out.

Not sure on Brandy yet but I will be at the meeting! If you'll be there, I'll hook up with you then! cheers
Posted By: muggler

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 03:08 PM

You arent gonna find a rod designed for swimbaits under 7'6" however, since you are fishing tiny swimbaits, you dont really need all that rod.

That being said, Lamiglas made a rod called "The Delta Frog Special" or something like that. Its a 6'10" fairly stout rod made for fishing frogs, it has a little tip on it as well. I think this rod would do well for you if you could find one.
Posted By: jfdawson

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 03:25 PM

I use a Kistler Helium LTA Medium 7' paired with Diawa Fuego reel. It's the lightest set up I have. Normally fish weightless senko, flukes, type baits and this is my go to set up.

http://www.kistlerrods.com/p/KR/c-/He70MC.html

Here's the 6'6" version

http://www.kistlerrods.com/p/KR/c-h1-crankbait-fishing-rods/HE66MC.html

- JD

Posted By: Topher5999

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 03:58 PM

I agree with Tim, Dobyns swimbait rods were designed by Mike Long and they are sweet. Dobyns has a 7'9 inch Swimbait rod designed by Mike Long.

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Topher5999
I agree with Tim, Dobyns swimbait rods were designed by Mike Long and they are sweet. Dobyns has a 7'9 inch Swimbait rod designed by Mike Long.

...be that as it may, I have a length restriction. I asked for recommendations based upon my fishing style and specific restrictions and received a few commercials.

Many thanks to those who actually READ the original post and offered some great feedback! It was nice talking to the folks who were eager to help out today! Thanks for the offer Tommy, I might just take you up on it! thumb
cheers
Posted By: Bit Man

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 08:39 PM

6'10" Falcon Lowrider,its a heavy action rod with a good tip. You can get one at Academy for 109, but if you watch the rod riots you can get it for 79 i think smile I threw them on it all last year, but went to a telescopic for this season. Hopefully Ill like it smile
Danny
Posted By: Alec Cochran

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 08:45 PM

I would suggest a medium-action cranking rod. My favorite is the
Duraflex Cranking by Castaway.
http://www.castawayrods.com/Merchant2/me...roduct_Count=10
They also mae these in 7' & 7'6" length, but I think you said those are too long.

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 08:52 PM

I never thought about throwing them on a med rod...but that is tempting. I think this will take some further research before I decide once and for all between the med and the med-hvy. eeks
Posted By: The Fishing Physicist

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: StreakBreaker
Here’s the scoop guys,

I’m in the process of scaling down one of my reels to a 5 gear ratio in order to make it a good quality swimbait reel. However, I’m kinda on the fence as to what rod I should match it up with.

Most folks I talk to prefer a broom stick or baseball bat type approach but I’m not totally sure that’s for me. For example: Many folks I know use a medium heavy with spinnerbaits while I use a medium. I like a rod that “loads up” with the resistance allowing a fish to almost hook themselves…that’s my style.

But, when it comes to swimbaits, I’m not sure if I should keep that same approach. I don’t use the HUGE swimbaits…there’s just no use for me to throw one. I stick with the smaller Huddleston’s, Jackalls, Matt Lures, etc. So, I don’t need anything that would launch a rainbow trout into orbit.

I also have a size restriction. I can’t fit over a 6’10’’ in the vehicle without having an “accident”.

So given the size baits I use and my personal “style” what would be your advice as to a good swimbait rod I should try?

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Streak

Streaky,

We've got a St. Croix Avid AVC710HMF here at Mack's.

It is of the telescoping type, so even though it's 7'10" when fully extended it's only 6'6" when collapsed.

It's a HEAVY POWER rod, with a MODERATE-FAST ACTION. It is designed to handle 14-30 pound line, and 1/2 to 2 ounce baits.

It sells for $200.00 plus tax.

Your 6'10" limit really puts a damper on your choices. The telescoping varity of rod is really going to be your best option, IMO.

Andy Caldwell recently dropped by Mack's and left a Dobyns catalog, and showed me several Dobyns Swimbait Rods. Very nice, and not priced in the stratosphere.

TFP

TFP
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 09:28 PM

streak, you really should specify length and weight of what you are throwing as it seems you are looking for a finesse swimbait rod and will need to realize that for your choice. might eliminate your so called commercials. great site when so many try to help...

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/15/08 10:46 PM

I thought I heard you describing swimb8s that could go as heavy as 3 oz. I don't think a medium anything is going to be too happy with 2-3oz. stuff. I've been pestering folks for a two piece swimb8 stick for over a year now with no joy...I have had several recommend a muskie stick. I think you need to re-examine telescopic and two piece sticks...they've come a long way baby.

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/16/08 03:38 AM

David,

Sorry, I thought I was doing the post justice by naming the baits I used...lol. When I say small Huddlestons, that's what I mean...like the Huddleston Shad. The Matt's I use don't break 2oz. grin wink

You're right about one thing...the TFF has some very knowledgeable folks with a ton of experience! I'm thankful for all of ya and hope I can return the favor once in a while as well! Even for you Davy! grin cheers

MHood,

Yeah, I was also pointed towards what I believe is the very same Muskie rod! wink It's a beaut for sure!!! I'm so on the fence it aint even funny! LOL grin

Posted By: Topher5999

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/16/08 12:27 PM

StreakBreaker,

I have several of the Huddleston's Swim Shads and i would not throw them on anything shorter than a 7'3 they are pretty heavy. I would not throw them on a Med. rod for sure. That is just me everyone else could be different. If you make a long cast you will not get good hook penatration with a Med rod of any kind. Sorry I did not see the Max of 6'10, I saw everyone else suggesting longer rods so I did as well should have read your post better.
Posted By: cob

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/16/08 12:55 PM

Try G Loomis SWB904C. It is lightest of three new swimbait rods.It is 7'6"for 12-25 lb line and lure wt. 1/2 to3 oz. Also decently priced for G Loomis.
Crusty Old Basser
Posted By: Brandon Shook

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/16/08 02:32 PM

In order to match your current setup, I'd recommend this, Streak:

grin
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/16/08 02:34 PM

I have a full length swimbait rod but like you sometimes I need to keep what I take down to a few choices and all under 7 feet.

The 6'9" LTA Medium-heavy Kistler may be the best overall rod in the Kistler lineup but I feel like it is a litle soft for the swimbaits you described. I use the 6'9" LTA Heavy and it has worked well for me.

• Action: fast
  • Power: heavy
  • Lure Wt: 1/2 - 1 oz
  • Line Wt: 14 - 25 lb
  • Handle: 9 inch with soft foam butt cap
  • Length: 6 ft 9 in

They have upgraded the LTA rods with the new Fuji grip and guides and they are sweet.

I am not sure if the 1 oz upper rating is stout enough for your needs but if it is then this is one sweet rod that you can use for several different applications.

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/16/08 03:07 PM

Topher,

I think you're thinking of a different shad...the one I'm using is the SMALL 4.5'' one. It's not heavy at all! eeks

SlideR,

I like that idea...I'll take that one under advisement as well! Thanks man!!! cheers

Shookie,

Leave it up to you to banter with me using a picture link that’s broken….Ahh, what comedic relief you are! grin

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/16/08 03:52 PM

Topher,

I think you're thinking of a different shad...the one I'm using is the SMALL 4.5'' one. It's not heavy at all! eeks

SlideR,

I like that idea...I'll take that one under advisement as well! Thanks man!!! cheers

Shookie,

Leave it up to you to banter with me using a picture link that’s broken….Ahh, what comedic relief you are! grin

It works for me...

You just need a better computer... whatever happened to that mega-machine that broke a year ago? grin
Posted By: Dinkmaster

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/16/08 03:59 PM

For throwing swimbaits 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz, I have had good luck with using a Falcon Cara 6'10'' Grass Rod. Rod has the power to hook and turn good fish but doesn't act like a pool cue. This rod is nice because you can also use it to pitch a 1/2 oz jig and throw some frogs as well.

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/16/08 04:21 PM

Dink,

Thanks man, that's also a darn good idea! One of the back-up uses I need this rod for is topwaters...so that'll work wonders! thumb

Shookie,

The old puter still doesn't have a pulse. Remember, the one I'm viewing it on now is YOURS! LOL!!!

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/16/08 04:29 PM

Shookie,

The old puter still doesn't have a pulse. Remember, the one I'm viewing it on now is YOURS! LOL!!!

I know, enjoy it...

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/16/08 07:13 PM

Let us know which one you go with. Good luck choosing. The medium action is capable of setting the hook on a long cast especially when using trebles. It wil also load up like you want because I like the same when throwing swimbaits. Also capable of throwing topwaters, but for frogs you may need a heavier action rod. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Anglers Lodge

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/16/08 08:19 PM

Enjoyed our conversation SB, feel free to contact me anytime you want sir !. Good luck !

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/16/08 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Anglers Lodge
Enjoyed our conversation SB, feel free to contact me anytime you want sir !. Good luck !

Same here Carl, it was a pleasure! I've put that little secret trick you gave me to work...I think it'll be the key this weekend! thumb cheers
Posted By: GoArmy

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/17/08 02:04 AM

Falcon Lowrider LFC-5-17MH 7ft. Excellent for LFT swimbaits, 5 to 6 inch Money Lures, Matt Lures. Sorry I know you said 6'10" but I think you'll like the way this feels.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/17/08 02:42 AM

Have the 70M MH Blank scaled to what you want, custom made with Hendrix Rods. Interested, let me know.

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/17/08 03:13 PM

Evv,

Yeah, I do like that rod...I've thought about it for other uses in the past. I just can't get it in the car without closing the door on it! LOL!!
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/17/08 05:29 PM

Streak,

You may want to look at the old Castaway 6'10" Grass Rake. It is an old standby for several anglers that are limited on length.

http://www.castawayrods.com/Merchant2/me...;Category_Code=

I had one, but gave it to a friend that had originally given it to me. He wanted to pay me, but heck, he gave it to me, so why? Heavy rod, but it does have some tip and ated for lures as light as 3/4. If you can find an OLD Grass Rake, they were rated to 1/2 oz., I think. They do have a little tip to them. But that miht work.

Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/17/08 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Thad Rains
Streak,

You may want to look at the old Castaway 6'10" Grass Rake. It is an old standby for several anglers that are limited on length.

http://www.castawayrods.com/Merchant2/me...;Category_Code=

I had one, but gave it to a friend that had originally given it to me. He wanted to pay me, but heck, he gave it to me, so why? Heavy rod, but it does have some tip and ated for lures as light as 3/4. If you can find an OLD Grass Rake, they were rated to 1/2 oz., I think. They do have a little tip to them. But that miht work.

Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

I also own one of these and it is a great rod as well. It is a heavier action rod, but would be better for frogs. Just another option to tangle your mind with. I have found that it is very hard to choose and it is often easier to just buy them all. LOL

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/17/08 09:39 PM

BB,

Yeah, thanks! LOL!!! I find it's always nice to have a couple of thousand opinions even if I know which direction I'm leaning.

Fishing is a learning sport...you can never have "too much" information! thumb
Posted By: Dennis N

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/19/08 01:53 PM

For the 3 to 5" swimbaits we used the KISTLER 6ft-6" and 7ft Medium Crank Bait Composite Glass/Graphite Rods.
If you are ever in the North East Texas area and would like to get your hand on one we could make a trip to Caddo Lake for a hour or two.

Until Next Time Catch as many as you can, but only keep what you need.
GOD BLESS & good fishing

www.fishingwithdennis.com
Guide Service
on Caddo lake
903 930-5460
www.crawclicker.com

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/20/08 05:32 PM

Which one did you go with or are you still thinking?

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/20/08 06:04 PM

I've been looking for a swimb8 stick that would double as a frog and heavy jig rod. I've almost settled on the Megabass F7-69DG Super Destroyer Mephisto (Medium Fast, 3/8-4 oz., 12-32 lbs.). I've got a Calais DC7 and some PowerPro 60# braid to put on it.
Posted By: Bit Man

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/21/08 01:23 AM

dang thats a nice set up, thats worth more than my whole aresnal smile SOunds sweet
Posted By: Mark Hembree

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/21/08 02:13 AM

Falcon has a T7 Cara MH that's 6'10" that might fit the bill nicely. I have one and like it a lot, but haven't tried to throw the smaller swimbaits with it yet. But, it's the rod I will use when I do. At $159 it might be a good one to try. Just my .02

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/21/08 02:54 AM

I'm still mulling over my choices...

All I know is I'm (bleeping) tired of fish tossing the hooks out of those Huddleston Shads!!!!!!!

I've tried everything!! I've added lube, I've tweaked the hooks...I've changed rods, NOTHING WORKS!!!!!

Their (bleep) poor low profile hook design cost me a tournament this weekend and I'm not happy about it. bang
Posted By: Grant2

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/21/08 03:20 AM

StreakBreaker check out the Hendrix line we make a 904 but we also make a 70M that can handle those swimbaits and the rods are light they will not wear you out all day. If you want you can call me at 281-446-3836 or send me a PM with your number and I will be more than happy to go over the rods with you.

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/21/08 03:23 AM

I just might do that Grant, thanks! I know one thing for sure...the long handle on the 6'10'' I tried this weekend wore me smooth out! It's too much handle for my short arms, lol!!

A 6'10'' may be a must for the hook set, but I want it in tip...not in the handle.

Posted By: Grant2

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 01/21/08 03:30 AM

The good thing about our rods are we make it how YOU want it give me a call anytime. My cell number is 713-201-4753 .
Posted By: Keith Bryan

Re: Swimbait Rod Recommendations… - 02/01/08 04:27 AM

Hi Streak,

Hope all is well.

Every once in a while I like to get out and talk to folks via the boards and see if I can help answer a question. I like to answer specific questions and not do infomercials, if you think this appears to be that, then please advise, my number is 1-888-635-9763. Typically, I try and answer questions from time to time about rods and I try and answer to the best of my ability to the actual question asked and I don’t participate in any hyperbole, I just try to answer your specific question on rod action for the application, etc.
With respect to a smaller swimbait rod to throw smaller baits, etc. I would recommend the following rod models from us.

1. 684 CEf ex fast heavy action will work okay and would allow you to throw baits heavier than these other 6’8 rods below, but maybe a little too stiff for your style you describe overall.
2. The 683 CEF is another great rod and just might be your stick. Tip loads up with plenty of reserve power but doesn’t bend in a moderate way.
3. The 686 CB will work great for the smaller baits and will really load up with a moderate fast action, and still have enough Reserve Power to handle big fish with no problem at all.
4. Now if you go outside the box then you may want to consider a longer 734 C Fast, 765 CB/SBR Mod Fast, or the 764 M fast, all of these rods work great for the Bass Trix, River 2 Sea bottom Walker, and many of the mid range swimbaits, and they are great utility rods for many other applications because in the end, you may want versatility because the dollar only goes so far.
5. If you end up getting a new truck to carry the load please remember, I didn’t do it if your better half comes down on you!

A swimbait rod can be in many different forms as you know, and all need to conform to your style of fishing and the type of bait you are throwing and the size of your vehicle. You can see our products at www.powellco.com and you can find a few Texas stores that are carrying our rods with more stores on the way. We have been making and designing rods bass and fly for 98 years and don’t know all but we are always on the cutting edge, backed by service and are here to serve you, the consumer to the best of our ability.

I have been on and off of this board for a while now and like to interject when appropriate and hope that you now have more to consider because there are many great choices out there.

Out of town for the Super Bowl,

Call us anytime,

Best Regards,

Keith Bryan
President
Powell rods

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum