Texas Fishing Forum

Rods on a plane

Posted By: gottafishtx

Rods on a plane - 08/14/07 04:31 PM

Flying to Alabama to see my Dad and do some fishing! fish thumb The only thing is I've always driven and never flown. I'm only taking 2 of my rods but I would like some opinions on the best and safest thing I can put them in so the airlines doesn't damage my rods. I plan on removing the reels and just checking the rods. They are both 6'6" rods. My first thought would be pvc pipe. I'm sure many of you have done this with success. Please let me know the best and if possible the cheapest way about it. Thanks. flag
Posted By: cantcatch5

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/14/07 04:35 PM

In my opinion the safest way is to buy one of the airline approved rod caddys available at most tackle stores or througt BPS or Cabelas
Posted By: FW_Tom_H

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/14/07 04:46 PM

I have a Plano Airliner that will telescope to hold 8 rods up to 7 feet. It cost $40 and I have used it many times. It works very well. You can get them at most retailers including Cabela's and Bass Pro. Just keep in mind that this counts as one of your two allowed checked bags.
Posted By: Poorboy

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/14/07 05:25 PM

What about building some cases out of PVC pipe??
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/14/07 05:31 PM

i went to the dominican and took 12 rods in one bazooka type tube. tube goes in the belly of the plane with luggage but has to be transported manually cause they risk jamming the luggage conyeyor belt with it. basically you gotta wait a little longer and pick them up from the special baggage claim area. make sure to buy a TSA lock which is a dial-combo lock w/ a TSA keyhole so the security can get in but the luggage handler's cant. wasnt a major inconvenience for me.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/14/07 05:31 PM

I have used PVC and I have a Plano one now. For just 2 rods I would use PVC. Stuff the ends with newspaper or old socks. and tie the two rods together so they don't bang against each other...make them one solid rod.

Not a big deal but if you aren't comfortable and depending on your other luggage you can always ship them to and from.

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/14/07 05:43 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I think the pvc is probably going to be the way to go since I rarely fly. Once every 6-7 yrs. I'll only need a few rods there anyway. We mostly crappie fish, but I like do some chunkin and windin when we are just trolling along.
Posted By: fishingwidow1979

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/14/07 06:21 PM

You can go to any Fabric Store and get these long Tubes that they ship Fabric in. Usually they will give them to You. They are very tough and serve the Purpose well. Sunbelt Fabrics in Downtown Dallas have a Bunch if anybody is needing them. Talk to Dean
Posted By: StreakBreaker�

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/14/07 06:24 PM

Check the rules again...

The last time I flew with rods they allowed ALL of your fishing gear as ONE item. For example (this is what they actually listed): a vest, 2 rods, a tackle box, a small net, a creel and a pair of waders.

I build my own tube and transported my rods safely to Georgia.

Posted By: Markk

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/14/07 07:27 PM

Its not a big deal and for a couple of rods, you dont even need a case. If you have several, I'd follow some of the above recommendations. As long as the rods break down, you can bring them on the plane with you. I've done this twice with 9' surf rods. They let you store them in the big coat closet you see on most planes when you first board. Never had a problem an usually generates a comment from the cute flight attendent!
Posted By: corycooper

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/14/07 08:23 PM

fed ex them there a few days before you leave and then fed ex them back it will be cheaper than a good airline approved rod caddy and they will get there on time almost always, and they dont go to chicago while your on the way to padre
Posted By: dr.mojo

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/14/07 08:29 PM

i work at ups, i would really pack it well if your going to ship with a freight company. They do not understand the word Fragile

Posted By: Shank 1

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/14/07 08:44 PM

Where do you get the TSA locks. Heading to Falcon this weekend
Posted By: CTA

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/14/07 09:17 PM

Depending on where you live I have a Plano rod tube you can borrow. Also, check the luggage regulations of the airline you will be flying. I got charged $100.00 for an oversized piece of luggage once.
Posted By: JazzHarmonicat

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/14/07 10:50 PM

I used one of those approved rod tubes for a trip to Florida, and the lady at the Air Tran counter flagged me as a terrorist, so I spent a long time in a special line where I got gone over real good, all my luggage gone through and messed up, my Garmin eTrex Legend hand-held GPS's screen broken (it was in the luggage with clothes packed around it, so i thought it would be safe). The rods didn't arrive until about a week later -- I had 3 surf rods packed in one tube, and I think they couldn't figure out how to get them back in. The counter person didn't bother to ask me what the tube was. I guess she figured I was trying to get a missile on board. Air Tran refused to replace or repair the GPS. I'll never fly Air Tran again.

Also I flew out to CA once on American Airlines, and the airline said i could take the tube free, but it turns out that they had me booked through another airline coming back, which didn't allow tubes (or charged $75 for one), so i had to pay Fed Ex to ship it back for me (for $20).

Ship the tube via Fed Ex and save yourself some hassle.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/15/07 01:05 AM

PVC Pipe or Cabela's rod tubes.
Posted By: ken a

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/15/07 02:30 AM

Gottafish, I fly once a year to mobile and found between broken tips and the cost of shipping you are better off going to one of the discount places and purchase a couple rods. Shipping costs are out of hand and rods are counted as one piece of luggage. However if you do decide to use a tube tape a dowel to the rods with the dowel slightly beyond the rod tip because they throw the tubes no matter how you ship it.

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/15/07 01:21 PM

CTA, thanks for the offer, but I'm in Midlothian. A bit of a haul to Wylie! Some of these horror stories are a little scary. Especially the terrorist one. I'm flying on Southwest. I'm going to there site to see if I can find any info. If not I'll call. I guess depending on the info I receive will determine if I take them aboard or ship them out. Thanks again guys! You've been a ton of help.
Posted By: Eric Gandy

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/15/07 01:32 PM

This will solve your delima

http://www.tvtopten.com/pocket-fisherman.html

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/15/07 01:33 PM

This is what the website said:

"Fishing rods and tackle boxes will be accepted as checked or carryon baggage provided the carryon rod fits securely in the overhead bin when enclosed in a cylindrical fishing rod container. A container may be purchased from Southwest Airlines for $10.00. When checking rods, containers may measure three inches in diameter and 72 inches in length. Fishing equipment includes a fishing rod and a fishing tackle box."

So I guess if I build a rod case out of pvc and pack it right I should be ok. I'll have to measure the rod handles to see if they can stay in 3" limit of the tube. If not, I guess UPS or FEDEX will have to do.

Posted By: FishingRich

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/15/07 04:21 PM

Sounds like you need an excuse to buy more stuff-------Just go and buy new gear when you get there!!!

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/15/07 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: FishingRich
Sounds like you need an excuse to buy more stuff-------Just go and buy new gear when you get there!!!

Wish I could. Wife would kill me, plus I'd still have to find a way to get it back to TX!!
Posted By: COFF

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/15/07 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: gottafishtx

So I guess if I build a rod case out of pvc and pack it right I should be ok. I'll have to measure the rod handles to see if they can stay in 3" limit of the tube. If not, I guess UPS or FEDEX will have to do.

Although I have never traveled with fishing gear, my experiences with Southwest have always been very accomidating with any luggage issues. It would be wise to talk to them before hand though. When packing your rods in the case, put them butt to tip, and then wrap a rubber band around each end. That will strengthen the two rods, protect the tips, and keep the diameter down.

If you end up going the pvc route, make sure one end is a screw-on cap. Don't try to get away with just sliding on the regular caps with no cement. They will slide off and your rod tips will be exposed.

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/15/07 05:49 PM

got our locks at wal mart but that was a couple of years ago.

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/15/07 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: COFF

Although I have never traveled with fishing gear, my experiences with Southwest have always been very accomidating with any luggage issues. It would be wise to talk to them before hand though. When packing your rods in the case, put them butt to tip, and then wrap a rubber band around each end. That will strengthen the two rods, protect the tips, and keep the diameter down.

If you end up going the pvc route, make sure one end is a screw-on cap. Don't try to get away with just sliding on the regular caps with no cement. They will slide off and your rod tips will be exposed.

Yeah, I already considered the screw on caps. Plus I'm hoping it fits, but I have some old pipe foam with the split down the middle to wrap around the center of the rods for extra cushion.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/15/07 05:55 PM

Yeah, I already considered the screw on caps. Plus I'm hoping it fits, but I have some old pipe foam with the split down the middle to wrap around the center of the rods for extra cushion.

That will be good. If it doesn't fit, someone above suggested wraping with underwear or socks. That would do well in the center also.

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/15/07 05:59 PM

I guess when I actually go to build the case and put the rods in it'll be a trial and error sort of thing. I hope the pipe foam works though. Put it around the rods last night and it holds them pretty snug. I just hope it fits in the pvc tube. That 3 inches seems rather small.
Posted By: fishingwidow1979

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/15/07 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Shank 1
Where do you get the TSA locks. Heading to Falcon this weekend

woot

Posted By: Wade

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/15/07 10:40 PM

When i go to GA to fish with my father, I just use one of his. This may not be feasable for you though. I have sent rods home with my kids when they spent the summer, in a tube, and they were always able to carry them on.

Wade
Posted By: Texas Sidewinder

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/16/07 12:11 AM

PVC pipe is the only way to go. I have shipped rods as far as Italy, Hawai, and Brazil and none have been damaged. That is the only thing I use. Take and wrap the rod as you are inserting it into the tube with news paper and make sure it is enough so that the rod is snug. This will protect the eyes tip and the entire rod. It is fairly in-expensive and worth the time and effort.

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/16/07 05:50 PM

Went to Home Depot today. Got some pvc and a full cap for one end and a screw cap for the other. All was just over $10. Not bad. Now all I have to do is go home and build it this afternoon. The pipe foam over the rods should fit pefectly but not long enuff to cover both rods. I have them tip to handle, so I'll tie the ends together for more support and probably put some sockes on each end for a little more cushion. I'm trying to think of a way to make a handle onto the pipe though. Should I not even worry about that?
Posted By: Chad Miller

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/16/07 06:03 PM

Getcha a piece of leather and tap it into the PVC. Works great. If you want to get tricky, figure out a way to put wheels on it, and a handle on the other endcap.

You could also hinge it lengthways (split it down the middle) and add a soft pick-n-pluck for inside padding, works well..

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/16/07 06:04 PM

couple of hose clamps and a coated hanger wire doubled up and ran through a bicycle grip?

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/16/07 06:20 PM

Those are good ideas. I'll have to rummage around the garage and see what I can come up with. I'm not very inventive when it comes to stuff like this. Glad I have some guys like ya'll that I can ask.
Posted By: Tracker Tim

Re: Rods on a plane - 08/16/07 06:30 PM

This is what the website said:

"Fishing rods and tackle boxes will be accepted as checked or carryon baggage provided the carryon rod fits securely in the overhead bin when enclosed in a cylindrical fishing rod container. A container may be purchased from Southwest Airlines for $10.00. When checking rods, containers may measure three inches in diameter and 72 inches in length. Fishing equipment includes a fishing rod and a fishing tackle box."

Last time I checked, 72 inches was 6 feet. His rods are 6'6" without the container.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum