Texas Fishing Forum

Beginner Baitcaster

Posted By: Patriot7Six

Beginner Baitcaster - 06/10/18 05:11 PM

I've exclusively used spinning reels my whole life. I've recently been looking into buying a baitcaster for bass fishing. Any suggestions on a good reel that is beginner friendly but also good value that will last? Budget is somewhere in the $200 or less range.
Posted By: sll

Re: Beginner Baitcaster - 06/10/18 07:07 PM

PM sent
Posted By: Darin Y

Re: Beginner Baitcaster - 06/10/18 07:45 PM

Just don’t go to cheap, I had issues trying to cut corners and got nothing but birdsnests after birdnests. But 200 is easy to do. You can even do a nice reel for say 150.00 and match it up with a cheap rod. Then up grade rod later or 100 on each.
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: Beginner Baitcaster - 06/11/18 02:11 AM

Curado K
Posted By: MinMirny

Re: Beginner Baitcaster - 06/11/18 05:10 PM

1) Listen to Darin Y;
2) Use this dial no reel's left side, set it high and decrease it's setting gradually;
3) begin with softer but thicker line, avoid hard lines like Ande or fluoro
Posted By: Patriot7Six

Re: Beginner Baitcaster - 06/11/18 08:54 PM

I ended up getting a Casitas paired with a Dobyns Fury at my budget. Looking forward to learning how to use it.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Beginner Baitcaster - 06/15/18 03:01 AM

Casitas is a great reel for the price! Good choice
Posted By: vanhagar

Re: Beginner Baitcaster - 06/29/18 10:01 AM

Yes you did good choosing the Casitas! Out distances my curados with just a flush and oil (rem oil/ardent oil) of the spool bearings!
Posted By: tugboattim

Re: Beginner Baitcaster - 07/24/18 02:07 AM

check this website out great buys on some reals only for another day or so

www.reels-express.com
Posted By: BassMan_2018

Re: Beginner Baitcaster - 07/28/18 02:53 PM

I have always had trust in the H20 mettle reels, they are fairly cheap and are great reels. I have been actively for about 5-6 years now and i still have the same reels that i got ever since I started and they still work perfectly with no problems!
Posted By: Bassfishing_Skeeter

Re: Beginner Baitcaster - 10/19/18 08:16 PM

Abu black max thats what i started my son on and he caught on pretty quick
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Beginner Baitcaster - 10/19/18 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: BassMan_2018
I have always had trust in the H20 mettle reels, they are fairly cheap and are great reels. I have been actively for about 5-6 years now and i still have the same reels that i got ever since I started and they still work perfectly with no problems!

Plus 1. I have 14 of them and all still working great.
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Beginner Baitcaster - 11/13/18 08:50 PM

I don't think there is such a thing as a "beginner" baitcaster.

They are "all" difficult to use for beginners, no matter how low or high the price.

...------
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Beginner Baitcaster - 11/13/18 09:06 PM

If you cast with your right hand, hopefully you bought a left handed reel or vise versa. Having to switch hands after a cast is dumb!
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Beginner Baitcaster - 11/14/18 05:54 AM

I guess there are lots of "dumb" anglers out there like myself who have been switching hands their whole life and think nothing of it.

Was on a guided trip once where all the spinning rods were setup to reel with left hand.
I switched mine back to what I was comfortable with despite the guides objections, everyone else left as is.
Really amusing to watch everyone else hold the handle still and crank the rod and reel.
If we were not hooking so many fish, would have had some really unhappy clients.

Acknowledge it would have been best to start out otherwise.
At our age, we are not going to change.
Posted By: 78Staff

Re: Beginner Baitcaster - 12/02/18 02:14 PM

Daiwa's SV and Shimano's DC are two technologies that really help the beginning angler, or any angler with casting difficulties - unfortunately, they tend to not be included in the entry level series of reels - however I think you can get into a Tatula SV fairly reasonably, at least under $200. DC will cost a bit more, around $250 I believe.

Really though, I believe that unless someone really just has a total lack of feel for whatever reason, it doesn't take much the become decently proficient with a baitcaster. As others have stated, don't start with stiff, unruly line like fluoro or stiff mono. Just grab some inexpensive 10 or 12lb mono, start with a med action rod, a 3/8 or 1/2 oz practice plug, and more spool tension and more brakes than you think start tossing in the backyard. As you get more comfortable start backing the tension and brakes off to increase distance. your goal isn't to get brakes down to zero, but to get to a median point that offers you both controllable as well as comfortable casting distance.
Posted By: Larry yank

Re: Beginner Baitcaster - 12/28/18 10:42 PM

The Lews Orange Crush retailing for $199.99 is a great value.
Posted By: Big Dawg

Re: Beginner Baitcaster - 01/19/19 02:23 AM

Diawa sv tws. Spool it with mono. Almost impossible to backlash and a dang fine reel!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum