Texas Fishing Forum

Side Plate Removal on Lew's Speed Spool J5

Posted By: Phototex

Side Plate Removal on Lew's Speed Spool J5 - 04/11/18 01:38 AM

I know how to pull the little pin on the handle side and then rotate the side plate up from the front, but all that does is expose a small Phillips screw. I though I could just lift off the side plate at that point, but cannot. Must I remove that little screw to remove the side plate and access the magnets and spool? I need to oil the bearings on that side. Help ASAP, please.
Posted By: 03svtsnakevert

Re: Side Plate Removal on Lew's Speed Spool J5 - 04/11/18 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Phototex
I know how to pull the little pin on the handle side and then rotate the side plate up from the front, but all that does is expose a small Phillips screw. I though I could just lift off the side plate at that point, but cannot. Must I remove that little screw to remove the side plate and access the magnets and spool? I need to oil the bearings on that side. Help ASAP, please.

Can you post a picture of what you are talking about?

Re: Side Plate Removal on Lew's Speed Spool J5 - 04/11/18 03:11 PM

Thank you very much for your reply. Here are a few photos that show the reel after I rotated the palming side plate up. This is as far as it goes, and illustrates why I'm wondering if the visible screw must be removed before taking the side plate off. I have three identical reels to lube.

Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Side Plate Removal on Lew's Speed Spool J5 - 04/12/18 01:39 AM

Should just pull off to the left now.

Re: Side Plate Removal on Lew's Speed Spool J5 - 04/12/18 01:46 AM

I know that it should, but it won't....not on any of the 3 reels.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Side Plate Removal on Lew's Speed Spool J5 - 04/12/18 03:29 AM

Odd, I pull the pin, swivel up and give it a wiggle/twist pull and off they come. I wonder if your sliding pins (brakes) are sticking out and didn’t retract.

Re: Side Plate Removal on Lew's Speed Spool J5 - 04/12/18 02:08 PM

I finally got them to come off by wiggling the thumb bar end while wiggling. Now all cleaned and lubed up and ready for a big girl - thanks for your help!
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: Side Plate Removal on Lew's Speed Spool J5 - 04/12/18 02:08 PM

Salt is probably the reason it won't come off. When saltwater dries, salt crystals "grow" and fill any available space. You'll probably have to force it off and then clean out the crystals. I let my Shimano Chronarch C14+ sit with saltwater(just from splashing, not submersion) in it, and I had to beat the parts so hard, I cracked the reel frame and the side plate. Lesson learned: Always take your reels apart after a fishing trip, if you're in saltwater, and even if fresh, it's a good practice. IslandJim
Posted By: 03svtsnakevert

Re: Side Plate Removal on Lew's Speed Spool J5 - 04/13/18 01:18 PM

Glad to see that you were able to get them off...islandjim is accurate in what he’s saying about the salt...can’t tell you how many reels have been sent to me for cleaning that have had salt left in them. Very difficult at times.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum