Texas Fishing Forum

Abu Garcia REVO Rocket 9.0:1

Posted By: 1Cast 1Fish

Abu Garcia REVO Rocket 9.0:1 - 03/18/18 01:51 PM

I ordered the Abu Garcia REVO Rocket from BSP during the Spring Sale, it was originally $300 marked down to $130 or so for the sale. I did not have the need for a new reel, but was intrigued by the 9.0:1 gear ratio, which equals 37" of line return per handle revolution. I do not have any high speed reels, and was wanting to get others opinions on the reel and what it has excelled at for you.
I am looking at using it as a niche type reel for topwater or jig fishing...since those are the techniques where I believe the fast retrieve will be a benefit...Opinion?

Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Abu Garcia REVO Rocket 9.0:1 - 03/19/18 02:13 PM

I like it. I have had mine for a year. I find that I have to be careful to slow the handle down some. When casting a jig out and reeling it back, I find myself cranking too fast and the bait rips back to the boat when I wanted it to stay just off the bottom. Took a little getting used to for me. Other than that, it's just another reel.
Posted By: Walls

Re: Abu Garcia REVO Rocket 9.0:1 - 03/19/18 05:16 PM

Have mine rigged with 65# braid and a broomstick specifically for flipping grass and trash.
Posted By: 1Cast 1Fish

Re: Abu Garcia REVO Rocket 9.0:1 - 03/20/18 10:50 PM

I had the chance to try it out on Sunday for a few hours...I used it with a jig and with a blade bait...It is definitely fast. The slack disappears in no time, and if you are out of the target zone on a long cast or you mess your cast up...you can really get the bait back to the boat ASAP. The reel casted perfectly smooth with 12lb Suffix Mono, and the brake systems seemed to work flawlessly. I think this reel will definitely be playing a role in my future fishing...can't wait to try topwater. The only regret I have is not getting 2 for $130 each.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum