Texas Fishing Forum

Acid Wrap/Spiral Wrap Rods whos used them?

Posted By: AKMike

Acid Wrap/Spiral Wrap Rods whos used them? - 11/10/17 06:07 PM

Been trying to decide if I want to get a Duce Rod or some similar Spiral guide rod. I went to a supposed dealer for Duce and they looked at me like I was a moron and tried showed me some Walmart rods. I know all of the pros/cons, but I've only cast one once years ago. I like the idea behind the rods being set up this way and I'm not worried about if it looks funny.

What's your experience with them? I normally hear a lot of positive from those who have used them for a while(not that I've heard from too many folks about it)
Posted By: jig_n_pig80

Re: Acid Wrap/Spiral Wrap Rods whos used them? - 11/11/17 02:34 PM

I have 14 rods with the spiral/acid wrap and I absolutely love mine, especially for cranking,jig,and c-rig. Their are a couple of techniques where I still prefer the standard wrap though. But all of my rods are made by Dave,Custom Angle Rods. What I especially like about Daves' rods is that the customer can get each rod custom made to his/her likening. Ex. Lenght,handle length,foam or cork handle,full or split grip.

Re: Acid Wrap/Spiral Wrap Rods whos used them? - 11/13/17 06:05 PM

I'll have to check them out, thanks.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Acid Wrap/Spiral Wrap Rods whos used them? - 11/27/17 02:37 AM

I have 2 spiral wrapped rods and LOVE them, especially for CBs. For some reason, they seem to cast a little right of where I am trying to cast and I just aim a little left of where I want the lure to land now, problem solved. Mine are built on Shikari blanks. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Re: Acid Wrap/Spiral Wrap Rods whos used them? - 11/27/17 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Thad Rains
I have 2 spiral wrapped rods and LOVE them, especially for CBs. For some reason, they seem to cast a little right of where I am trying to cast and I just aim a little left of where I want the lure to land now, problem solved. Mine are built on Shikari blanks. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Thanks.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Acid Wrap/Spiral Wrap Rods whos used them? - 11/29/17 10:34 PM

I don't own one but fished with some. Really didn't notice any significant difference in them. There was nothing that made me think I needed it anyway. There was nothing bad about them either though.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Acid Wrap/Spiral Wrap Rods whos used them? - 12/17/17 05:57 PM

After many years of not owning or using any baitcast setups (since I quit bass fishing about 20yrs ago), I broke down and built me a spiral wrapped rod just to say I have one. It has renewed my interest in using something other than spinning gear. Admittedly, I don't see much of a difference in "fishing" it, but I do notice a difference in the way it handles when fighting a decent size fish. It acts more like a spinning rod under a decent load, which tends to be more natural since the line wants to be on the bottom of the blank to begin with. I won't make any claims that all rods need to be spiral wrapped or anything like that, but I sure like the layout, and will be building more this year for my own use.
Posted By: squib

Re: Acid Wrap/Spiral Wrap Rods whos used them? - 12/18/17 11:14 PM

Less torque on the blank should also result in less blank failure. I spiral wrap most of my builds simply because I am more comfortable warrantying the rod. I see no downside other than they seem to tangle more when laid next to other rods on the deck of the boat.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum