Texas Fishing Forum

Need help re fish finder/sonar

Posted By: SlowDown

Need help re fish finder/sonar - 10/21/17 06:05 PM

I’m rigging up a Pelican Bass Raider 10e, a 10 foot mini pontoon boat. Want to select a fish finger costing under $200. Academy has a Garman Striker 4 Chirp Somar/GPS Fishfinder Combo for $119.99. Lowrance Hook 3X $89.99. Hummingbird Pirana Max 197e DI Fishfinder $149.99.

I will be fishing a highland lake with deep structure and a small power plant lake with mostly shallow water and grass.

I do not know anything about these units and am looking for help from someone that does.
Thanks.
Posted By: retdbasser

Re: Need help re fish finder/sonar - 10/21/17 07:07 PM

If you decide on a Garmin Striker 4 take a look on-line at Bass Pro Shop $104.99 with $10 Promo card with Ship to Store or get one at the store for $104.99. I just bought one but returning because I don't like the mounts for my install. So can't recommend or not. I like Academy, just a dollar saving tip.

Re: Need help re fish finder/sonar - 10/21/17 10:11 PM

Thanks very much retbasser..
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Need help re fish finder/sonar - 10/22/17 05:52 AM

I would go with Garmin simply because it has the GPS so you'd be able to mark your spots. The DI would be nice but I don't know how beneficial it would be on such a small screen.

Re: Need help re fish finder/sonar - 10/22/17 02:05 PM

Thanks for the reply Bobby. The Garman unit has nice features and also sounds pretty user friendly, which is important to a non-techie like myself. At this point, still not being well informed, I’ve about decided it is the one I should get.
Posted By: ring fry

Re: Need help re fish finder/sonar - 10/22/17 04:21 PM

The Garmin is simple to use. Just be sure you know there are no maps on this unit. As you said it has GPS so you can mark way points and tracks. I've got a Striker 5 and really like it.

SE Kansas grass grower
Posted By: retdbasser

Re: Need help re fish finder/sonar - 10/23/17 11:47 AM

There's a lot of info on "Pond Boats" forum.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Need help re fish finder/sonar - 10/23/17 02:45 PM

If you can wait till after Thanksgiving, that's when the new product cycles start and the previous models go on clearance.

Of the ones you mentioned, the Striker has the most features.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum