Texas Fishing Forum

pontoon boat with transducer beam hitting the motor

Posted By: Madatu

pontoon boat with transducer beam hitting the motor - 09/25/17 06:25 PM

hay everyone,

I was attempting to pay a guide for an electronics class today but I have an issue that i need to work through. With Side imaging turned on i cant see the left side due to the bean hitting the motor and screwing up the signal. the transducer it mounted on the bottom of the right side pontoon by the drain plug. My pontoon is an 1986 Lowe Fish and Fun 20'. He suggested some type of extension to get the transducer further behind the boat. Can any of you professionals that have ran into this make a goiod suggestion on this matter ?
Posted By: sae

Re: pontoon boat with transducer beam hitting the motor - 09/25/17 06:33 PM

I trim my motor up a little at slow speed searching to make my s.i. work.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: pontoon boat with transducer beam hitting the motor - 09/25/17 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Madatu
hay everyone,

I was attempting to pay a guide for an electronics class today but I have an issue that i need to work through. With Side imaging turned on i cant see the left side due to the bean hitting the motor and screwing up the signal. the transducer it mounted on the bottom of the right side pontoon by the drain plug. My pontoon is an 1986 Lowe Fish and Fun 20'. He suggested some type of extension to get the transducer further behind the boat. Can any of you professionals that have ran into this make a goiod suggestion on this matter ?

You need an additional SI transducer attached to the left pontoon and a LR Y cable to have clear SI on both sides.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: pontoon boat with transducer beam hitting the motor - 09/25/17 07:25 PM

what brand fish finder do you have?

Re: pontoon boat with transducer beam hitting the motor - 09/25/17 08:00 PM

Humminbird helix 9 Si with high def transducer
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: pontoon boat with transducer beam hitting the motor - 09/25/17 08:47 PM

I'd give David Goodson a call at Shut Up and Fish. He can get you fixed up with what you need.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: pontoon boat with transducer beam hitting the motor - 09/25/17 08:51 PM

What Wayne said.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: pontoon boat with transducer beam hitting the motor - 09/25/17 09:28 PM

gonna need 1 transducer on each side along with this splitter cable. It will allow you to use the left side of the left mounted transducer and the right side imaging of the right side mounted transducer.

https://www.humminbird.com/Products/MSILR-Y/

Re: pontoon boat with transducer beam hitting the motor - 09/27/17 04:16 PM

well adding another high def transducer is going to run about 300 bucks. is there some type of extension i can put on the back of the pontoon to extend the transducer backwards to clear the motor (safely without risking the transducer.) i saw extensions but worried about possibly damaging the transducer it would be line one foot behind the pontoon,

Re: pontoon boat with transducer beam hitting the motor - 09/27/17 05:18 PM

well adding another high def transducer is going to run about 300 bucks. is there some type of extension i can put on the back of the pontoon to extend the transducer backwards to clear the motor (safely without risking the transducer.) i saw extensions but worried about possibly damaging the transducer it would be line one foot behind the pontoon,

If you do a web search for XHS 9 HDSI 180 T, you will find them for less than $200.

Hodges Marine Electronics has them for $185.77

$269.99 is MSRP regardless of the "sale" you may see advertised.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: pontoon boat with transducer beam hitting the motor - 09/28/17 02:15 AM

A boat is a funnel you pour money into.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: pontoon boat with transducer beam hitting the motor - 09/28/17 04:02 AM

Look at ebay. You can find the XHS 9 HDSI 180T. There's one new for $100 and one used for $102. you can post on the trading section and find someone that has one that they dont need. I've bought them used for as little as $60. I've seen an extender before but I don't know how safe it will be when you start moving it further away.

Here's something to look at. You could make it yourself pretty easily. They also make a rod that the transducer mounts to that you can fold into the water and raise or lower it in the water column but again depending on where you fish that may not last long.

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=1536

Re: pontoon boat with transducer beam hitting the motor - 09/28/17 11:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
Look at ebay. You can find the XHS 9 HDSI 180T. There's one new for $100 and one used for $102. you can post on the trading section and find someone that has one that they dont need. I've bought them used for as little as $60. I've seen an extender before but I don't know how safe it will be when you start moving it further away.

Here's something to look at. You could make it yourself pretty easily. They also make a rod that the transducer mounts to that you can fold into the water and raise or lower it in the water column but again depending on where you fish that may not last long.

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=1536

You would need one of those long enough to be below the outboard motor skeg for a Side Imaging transducer.

Re: pontoon boat with transducer beam hitting the motor - 09/29/17 12:58 PM

OK i gave in and ordered another HD transducer and the y cable for it. i think a bracket extending the transducer back is a mistake. thanks for everyone's input. I talked to hummingbird yesterday and they said the same. Since i bought the high def transducer after buying the unit i asked them if i can use an high def and the normal transducer and they said i can but would have to change the setting in the unit to compact transducer, so that would have been a waste to me.

Re: pontoon boat with transducer beam hitting the motor - 09/29/17 02:12 PM

OK i gave in and ordered another HD transducer and the y cable for it. i think a bracket extending the transducer back is a mistake. thanks for everyone's input. I talked to hummingbird yesterday and they said the same. Since i bought the high def transducer after buying the unit i asked them if i can use an high def and the normal transducer and they said i can but would have to change the setting in the unit to compact transducer, so that would have been a waste to me.

PM sent
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum