Texas Fishing Forum

Helix series G2 vs G2N

Posted By: joho5

Helix series G2 vs G2N - 09/05/17 02:04 PM

Can the Helix G2 not network with each other with an ethernet cable? Are the G2N the only ones that can network?

thanks
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Helix series G2 vs G2N - 09/05/17 02:29 PM

I believe they must be G2N units. There might be a couple of the large units 10,12 and possibly 9 that might not be designated G2N. I know on the G1 units my 12 is networked
Posted By: javelin150

Re: Helix series G2 vs G2N - 09/05/17 02:33 PM

The Helix 9, 10, or 12 "first generation" will have ethernet capabilities. G2 Helix graphs do not have ethernet. All G2N Helix will network via ethernet. Any Helix graph that can network will require a ethernet dongle.

Re: Helix series G2 vs G2N - 09/05/17 03:23 PM

so g2 graphs dont have any ethernet capabilities? Why would they do that?

The 698, 798, 898, etc...those series had ethernet right?

I want to buy the cheapest unit I can buy with a 7" screen that has networking capabilities...so does that mean either finding gen 1 unit or g2n unit?

thanks for the info guys
Posted By: Diezel_Rocker

Re: Helix series G2 vs G2N - 09/05/17 04:01 PM

If I understand this correctly the only unit available in G2 and G2N is the Helix 7. On this one only the G2N is ethernet networkable. Anything above the 7- Helix 9, 10 and 12 are only available in G2N which are all networkable. The Helix 5 is not network capable.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Helix series G2 vs G2N - 09/05/17 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: joho5

Because many people only buy one unit or just don't want to network. They are giving them a low cost option. If you want a 7 and to network it then you'll have to go to a G2N. Gen 1 helix 7 wasn't networkable.

Re: Helix series G2 vs G2N - 09/05/17 05:50 PM

The earlier model humminbirds were networkable right? LIke the 898 998 etc?
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Helix series G2 vs G2N - 09/05/17 06:15 PM

Yes. What kinda of setup are you wanting. I may be wrong, but I think there are limitations to how far you can go back to network. From what I can remember the new units can read the older units but the older can't read the newer. But I am not sure were the cut off is. I wanna believe it was started with the gen 1 helix and the xx8 core units. The helix could read the xx8 but the xx8 had limitations reading the Helix.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Helix series G2 vs G2N - 09/05/17 06:51 PM

The earlier model humminbirds were networkable right? LIke the 898 998 etc?

Humminbird used an accessory called INTERLINK before there was Ethernet. INTERLINK shared waypoints and a GPS antenna. INTERLINK was discontinued when the XX9 models came out.

The 1197 was the first unit with an Ethernet port, but was not usable until Ethernet was activated with the XX8 units in the 800, 900, and 1100 series plus the HD version in the 700 series. Those units did not have Ethernet either until the software was released to have Ethernet (Ethernet menus and function). That happened on March 5, 2011. After Ethernet was activated you had the choice of INTERLINK or Ethernet with the XX8 models but could not use both.

Cross-sharing sonar technologies did not start until the XX9 (999ci HD SI Combo) Ethernet models (software update)and along with that some functions of the XX8 series could be shared, but the XX8 series will not cross-share.
Cross-share as an example is a Sonar model displaying Side Imaging from a Side Imaging unit.

The Helix units replaced the XX9 models, just uses a name instead of a number for the model.
No different than Lowrance going from the 300 series to 500 series to HDS and now Carbon.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Helix series G2 vs G2N - 09/05/17 06:55 PM

The 698, 798, 898, etc...those series had ethernet right?

I want to buy the cheapest unit I can buy with a 7" screen that has networking capabilities...so does that mean either finding gen 1 unit or g2n unit?

thanks for the info guys

No the 600 series was not networkable. That series replaced both the 500 and 700 series and combined some features of each.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum