Texas Fishing Forum

older transducer...

Posted By: i-Fish

older transducer... - 07/28/17 01:52 AM

So the seller currently has a sonar transducer epoxied in the hull for the console unit which is something like a Mark 5 and I'm assuming the ducer is 3 years old or so as well. He seems to think that that transducer doesn't need to be swapped out for my Sonar/chirp transducer that came with my HDS Gen 3 unit. I'm thinking there is no way that 3 or 4 year old transducer has the tech for CHIRP to relay to my HDS unit. Am I wrong here?
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: older transducer... - 07/28/17 02:15 AM

Yes, you are wrong. Now his transducer could be getting weak, but it will do lowrances version of chirp. If you want true chirp, you have to buy an airmar transducer.

Re: older transducer... - 07/28/17 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Yes, you are wrong. Now his transducer could be getting weak, but it will do lowrances version of chirp. If you want true chirp, you have to buy an airmar transducer.

Just when I think I'm starting to grasp things....

Please explain!
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: older transducer... - 07/28/17 01:01 PM

I don't really have the time to type it all out. Basically the lowrance transducer will broadcast a few frequencies and the airmar 150m will broadcast more.

If you look at the current lowrance transducers and scroll back 10 years, they are still the same model. (Yes there's a few new ones such as the hdi, totalscan, etc).

There's a few guys here that can explain the technical terms to you, maybe one will chime in or you can google chirp and read for days.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: older transducer... - 07/28/17 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: HookinToads
Originally Posted By: grout-scout

Just when I think I'm starting to grasp things....

Please explain!

A transducer does not CHIRP, the unit does. It will CHIRP whatever transducer is connected to it. A transducer is a combo speaker and microphone that transmits the sound and detects the return echoes.
There are CHIRP tuned transducers that do better with CHIRP than standard transducers tuned for single frequency or dual frequency.
Posted By: DonnyG

Re: older transducer... - 07/28/17 02:32 PM

Units only chirp

Re: older transducer... - 07/28/17 04:35 PM

Ok. That clears it up. With that said, this will ideally save me the hassle of having to take out the batteries and oil reservoir to get down there. I like it. Thanks fellas!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum