Texas Fishing Forum

Spotlight Scan Transducer installation on Ultrex

Posted By: bobrfishes

Spotlight Scan Transducer installation on Ultrex - 07/07/17 02:51 PM

Any one have a solution to the lack of instructions on the
installation of the position sensor on the foot pedal of an Ultrex?
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Spotlight Scan Transducer installation on Ultrex - 07/08/17 01:31 AM

I am not aware of a modification yet for the Ultrex. Hopefully soon. I still use the transducer, just not the spotlight function.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Spotlight Scan Transducer installation on Ultrex - 07/08/17 03:40 AM

The spotlight feature won't work anyways with an ultrex or Terrova, the motor spins too fast for seeable images to be produced.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Spotlight Scan Transducer installation on Ultrex - 07/08/17 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
The spotlight feature won't work anyways with an ultrex or Terrova, the motor spins too fast for seeable images to be produced.

Since the Ultrex is foot control cable steer, it cannot spin faster than you move your foot if you are not using Spotlock. No different than a Fortrex.

Attachment of the position sensor would be the only difference.

Re: Spotlight Scan Transducer installation on Ultrex - 07/08/17 02:59 PM

Wayne, it's an electric foot cable steer. I've seen video of it turning and it's too fast. If there's a speed control adjustment then a person might be able to make it slow enough to work; but from all my viewing/reading the spotlight requires a slow steady sweep.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Spotlight Scan Transducer installation on Ultrex - 07/08/17 05:08 PM

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/Support/FAQs/FAQ-Details/Is-the-Ultrex-trolling-motor-a-cable-steer-driven-motor-like-the-Minn-Kota-Fortrex,-Maxxum-and-Edge-/

Re: Spotlight Scan Transducer installation on Ultrex - 07/08/17 08:34 PM

Go to YouTube and watch a video on the speed of it. I contemplated buying one but I didn't like hearing the turn motor on my Terrova and I don't want to listen to it on an ultrex. Beside it's all a moot point since there is no way to hook up the nmea sensor.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Spotlight Scan Transducer installation on Ultrex - 07/08/17 08:55 PM

Wayne, it's an electric foot cable steer. I've seen video of it turning and it's too fast. If there's a speed control adjustment then a person might be able to make it slow enough to work; but from all my viewing/reading the spotlight requires a slow steady sweep.

Not true. I have an Ultrex. It spins as fast I as want it to, same as my old Fortrex but with much less pressure.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Spotlight Scan Transducer installation on Ultrex - 07/08/17 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: horseplaydvm

Not true. I have an Ultrex. It spins as fast I as want it to, same as my old Fortrex but with much less pressure.

Exactly. The Ultrex is electric assisted cable driven. You can actually turn it just as slowly as a Fortrex and have complete control. It isn't any different, only easier. It feels like a regular old cable steer minus the torque and weight of the motor. Only tricky part might be routing the cable.

Re: Spotlight Scan Transducer installation on Ultrex - 07/09/17 02:46 AM

Well damn, in the video I watched they showed that sucker zipping and the guy said there was no way to make it turn slower. Guess you are right as usual Wayne, I should have know not to argue with him. hammer

So you guys can turn it in a 180 degree circle real slow and smoothly?

Also, how loud is it on a calm day? My Terrova was awfully loud.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Spotlight Scan Transducer installation on Ultrex - 07/13/17 02:09 AM

Well damn, in the video I watched they showed that sucker zipping and the guy said there was no way to make it turn slower. Guess you are right as usual Wayne, I should have know not to argue with him. hammer

So you guys can turn it in a 180 degree circle real slow and smoothly?

Also, how loud is it on a calm day? My Terrova was awfully loud.

Yes to turning it slowly.....and my Ultrex 80lb is LOUD! The motor is quiet and vibration free, the steering motor is loud.

Re: Spotlight Scan Transducer installation on Ultrex - 07/13/17 03:12 AM

Thanks sir.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum