Texas Fishing Forum

installing transducer on bow mount trolling motor

Posted By: texasAUtiger

installing transducer on bow mount trolling motor - 01/11/17 04:34 PM

There are several YouTube videos about installing the transducer for my Helix 5 SI/GPS on a bow mounted trolling motor (mine is a Minn Kota edge on a deployment rail).

The issue for me is that when the transducer is mounted to the bottom of the motor, that when I lower and raise the motor, the bottom third or so of the shaft of the motor rotates (due to the weight of the head), causing the transducer to slam into either the tip of the bow or the deployment on its way to being deployed or stowed. It doesn't matter whether I position the prop to face port or starboard when I bring the motor up/down, the transducer still hits and hits pretty hard.

Do any of you face this issue with a transducer mounted on the trolling motor? If so, how do you resolve it?

I can post pictures if my description is unclear.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: installing transducer on bow mount trolling motor - 01/11/17 06:44 PM

If you can, extend the motor shaft a little deeper in the H2o, or adjust your steering cables to add more tension.
Posted By: Jones Trolling Motor

Re: installing transducer on bow mount trolling motor - 01/11/17 11:12 PM

Having trouble picturing this. May need pics. When the motor is stowed or deployed, the prop or the top of the lower unit may hit if you have the bracket too far back. However, the transducer is on the bottom and shouldn't be hitting.
John
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: installing transducer on bow mount trolling motor - 01/12/17 01:33 AM

post pictures. It sounds like the trolling motor wasn't mounted in the proper location.
Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: installing transducer on bow mount trolling motor - 01/12/17 08:56 PM

I'll post some pics when I get home today. Thanks guys!
Posted By: JoMay1961

Re: installing transducer on bow mount trolling motor - 01/13/17 09:31 PM

tex I have this TM model and a humminbird also mounted on a transducer saver as you describe. The trick you have to learn is while you are deploying or stowing the motor put your foot on the pedal and control the weight of the motor as its being lifted or lowered. This will take some practice on the water. As I'm stowing mine I lift it enough with the foot control to where I can drain the water out of the back of the prop area... Never had any problems with this routine...
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: installing transducer on bow mount trolling motor - 01/18/17 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: JoMay1961
tex I have this TM model and a humminbird also mounted on a transducer saver as you describe. The trick you have to learn is while you are deploying or stowing the motor put your foot on the pedal and control the weight of the motor as its being lifted or lowered. This will take some practice on the water. As I'm stowing mine I lift it enough with the foot control to where I can drain the water out of the back of the prop area... Never had any problems with this routine...

<THIS>
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum