Texas Fishing Forum

Cranking battery

Posted By: super fluke

Cranking battery - 12/31/16 05:46 PM

Looking for opinions for the best make and model for a cranking battery.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Cranking battery - 12/31/16 06:12 PM

I use deep cycles for everything so I can rotate them.
Posted By: Dayne

Re: Cranking battery - 01/01/17 11:53 AM

Check your motor recommendations for the amount of CCAs that you should be using. Then go for that or larger one. Brands don't mean much as there are few battery mfgs and lots of labels. Personally, I like AGM batteries.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Cranking battery - 01/01/17 02:09 PM

I've used Delco Voyagers since back in my sailboat days and have had great service from them. Every A-1 Auto parts store sells them. I have one in my trolling motor/house battery bank that is going on 5 years and still accepts and holds a charge. My starting battery that was installed when I bought the boat is at 2 years and seems to be OK, although I don't have much experience with them. You are probably good with almost anything except Exide, Interstate, and Continental.
I've seen lots of vote for Walmart batteries, but they aren't true deep cycle. I call them 11 month and 29 day batteries. You keep your receipt and take them in the day before the warranty expires and tell them it went bad. Wally replaces it and you are good for another year.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Cranking battery - 01/01/17 03:46 PM

Interstate Batteries...
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Cranking battery - 01/01/17 03:50 PM

I got mine at a Firestone Store. Some Firestone stores do not carry them..Just the car batteries $100-$125..1000MCA or better
Posted By: LittleGazoo

Re: Cranking battery - 01/01/17 04:08 PM

Here's best recommended batteries from Mercury Forum:
http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=20671&highlight=batteries+meet
Posted By: super fluke

Re: Cranking battery - 01/06/17 06:05 PM

Thanks for the information guys.
Posted By: Corey Stanley

Re: Cranking battery - 01/06/17 07:50 PM

I am running interstate now, with 2 Helix 10s and a helix 12 without any problems...couple years ago I can a Diehard AGM from Sears....battery was huge and ran about 300, but you could fish all night without moving much and that battery never ran low or had any issues.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum