Texas Fishing Forum

HDS 9 Gen 3

Posted By: FISH_JUNKY

HDS 9 Gen 3 - 11/16/16 06:19 PM

I just purchased the Gen3 HDS9 and HDS7 insight boat in a box package from the Lowrance factory outlet store online. I've tried to research different units but need to be educated what each one actually does. They can all be HDS9 Gen 3 but have different items listed. Any how I was looking after I ordered and did not notice it could side scan. Will I have to purchase the Lss-2 module. It does not come with this. Advise and thanks in advance.
Posted By: Jones Trolling Motor

Re: HDS 9 Gen 3 - 11/16/16 07:44 PM

Yes, if you didn't by the Bundle, you will need the LSS2 transducer/module. Also, you need to make sure (for inland waters) you got the 83/200 and not the 50khz transducer. You will also be able to connect the to with NMEA and they will share waypoints.
John
BTW, just for information purposes, the "Factory Outlet" online stores are not affiliated with the product they represent Ie: MinnKota Factory Outlet is not affilated with MinnKota, etc.

Posted By: MAK747

Re: HDS 9 Gen 3 - 11/17/16 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: FISH_JUNKY
I just purchased the Gen3 HDS9 and HDS7 insight boat in a box package from the Lowrance factory outlet store online. I've tried to research different units but need to be educated what each one actually does. They can all be HDS9 Gen 3 but have different items listed. Any how I was looking after I ordered and did not notice it could side scan. Will I have to purchase the Lss-2 module. It does not come with this. Advise and thanks in advance.

Check to see what "Boat in the Box" bundle you purchased. I believe that they include everything that you you need for side/down scan. Also included is the Point-1 GPS/heading sensor and the NMEA-2000 network to connect both units to it. It should also include the Ethernet cable to connect the two unit together to share sonar, waypoints and mapping cards. Did you purchase the following; UPC: 9420024163283 ? These appear to be a great bundle price.
Posted By: Baylor1970

Re: HDS 9 Gen 3 - 11/17/16 01:49 AM

I believe the GEN 3 units do not require LSS modules.
Posted By: Rick Collis

Re: HDS 9 Gen 3 - 11/18/16 10:40 AM

^^^^ Yes, the gen 3 units have the module built in . All you need for down scan and side scan is the LSS 2 transducer. As stated above you also will need a 83/200 transducer for 2D sonar.
Posted By: FISH_JUNKY

Re: HDS 9 Gen 3 - 11/18/16 05:02 PM

The boat in box product that I purchased was product #000-13935-001 and after reeding the above replays and looking at the product information again I'm starting to understand. The transducers are the spotlight scan and the total scan transducers. Product information states it has built-in structure scan HD sonar imaging and built-in broadband sounder, so hopefully that means side imaging without having to purchase the Lss-2 module. Had a friend suggest that I carry the boat to a man down at Lake Fork in order to have him install the Gen 3s. He could not recall his name but referenced him as the trolling motor guy. Thanks for all the responses it was very informative.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: HDS 9 Gen 3 - 11/18/16 05:20 PM

I would check with David at Shut Up and Fish for installation.

Re: HDS 9 Gen 3 - 11/22/16 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: FISH_JUNKY
The boat in box product that I purchased was product #000-13935-001 and after reeding the above replays and looking at the product information again I'm starting to understand. The transducers are the spotlight scan and the total scan transducers. Product information states it has built-in structure scan HD sonar imaging and built-in broadband sounder, so hopefully that means side imaging without having to purchase the Lss-2 module. Had a friend suggest that I carry the boat to a man down at Lake Fork in order to have him install the Gen 3s. He could not recall his name but referenced him as the trolling motor guy. Thanks for all the responses it was very informative.
The totalscan transducer will give you 2D, down imaging and side imaging. The spotlight scan transducer will give you 2D, down imaging and the spotlight if you have a standard cable steer foot controlled trolling motor.

Posted By: Lance Eitel

Re: HDS 9 Gen 3 - 11/23/16 04:41 PM

sorry for a stupid question, but with the Totalscan transducer will you still need the 83/200 transducer.....or does the CHIRP cover that?
Thanks

Re: HDS 9 Gen 3 - 11/23/16 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Lance Eitel
sorry for a stupid question, but with the Totalscan transducer will you still need the 83/200 transducer.....or does the CHIRP cover that?
Thanks

The Totalscan transducer has the 83/200 built in. No need for any other transducers.
Posted By: Jones Trolling Motor

Re: HDS 9 Gen 3 - 11/23/16 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Lance Eitel
Thanks

Depends. If you're satisfied with not reading sonar while running, then you don't need another transducer. If you have the totalscan mounted on the transom, it will not read while you're on plane (the transducer is out of the water).
Posted By: Lance Eitel

Re: HDS 9 Gen 3 - 11/24/16 01:56 AM

thanks
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum