Texas Fishing Forum

question on livewells

Posted By: medic5930

question on livewells - 10/31/16 04:43 PM

How many people run their recirculate all day long during a tournament or do you put them on a timer. I have been having problems with them draining my battery which will turn my graphs off during the day. I have a blue top optima cranking battery (which is brand new). I dont want my battery to drain down but I dont want to have fish die on me either. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: question on livewells - 10/31/16 05:21 PM

I don't run them while on water, no need, fresh water in old out all day. I run the recirculate pump on timer when I get off. May put a little ice prior depending on water temp.
Posted By: 9094

Re: question on livewells - 11/01/16 01:52 AM

All day. Seldom lose a fish.
Posted By: varnoldi

Re: question on livewells - 11/03/16 06:14 PM

Do you have more then one battery? I run a deep cycle for trolling , live well and radio. a second cranking battery for the motor .
If not , what size cranking battery
Posted By: T Bird

Re: question on livewells - 11/04/16 02:05 PM

Summer, all day. This time of year, auto.
Posted By: Terry5357

Re: question on livewells - 11/30/16 04:11 PM

When I bought my "new to me" boat, there were a couple of 2 litter bottles in the livewell, I can only assume the former owner froze them and put them in the livewell during the summer to keep temps down.
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: question on livewells - 01/09/17 05:59 PM

I have Oxygenator system installed which pulls much less power than a typical recirc pump. On the hottest days I will still turn on the recirc pump occasionally. I have never lost a fish with this system (knock on Wood).
Posted By: Anderson Guide Service

Re: question on livewells - 01/12/17 03:57 PM

Don't put just Ice inn your livewell. The chemicals in the water and the fish don't get along
Posted By: forkduc

Re: question on livewells - 01/12/17 04:20 PM

All day
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: question on livewells - 01/14/17 05:45 PM

Recirculate all day
Posted By: HappyNest

Re: question on livewells - 01/21/17 12:13 AM

Recirculation with timer, water treatment and I add frozen water bottles to manage water temperature anytime lake water is above 80f.
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: question on livewells - 01/24/17 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Anderson Guide Service
Don't put just Ice inn your livewell. The chemicals in the water and the fish don't get along

Most ice contains a small amount of chlorine which kills algae. Yes a fishes slim coat is a form of algae and is detrimental to their health!!!
Posted By: TXMako2201

Re: question on livewells - 01/25/17 06:29 PM

Saltwater fisherman here.. I pretty much only use live wells for bait so if I have any at the end of the day I keep the recirc on all night. in the water I run the fresh water pump all day. all 4 motors are powered by the cranking battery and I have never had a problem starting the next day. Might look into a separate power system for your live wells with a solar charger.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum