Texas Fishing Forum

lead sheet

Posted By: BPKlein

lead sheet - 09/13/16 04:56 PM

Hello,

I wanting to buy a small piece of lead sheet. It will go between my trolling motor and transducer to see if that will fix some of the interference problems that I am having with my sonar.

Any idea where to buy a small piece of lead sheet in the North Dallas area?

Thank You,
Bryan
Posted By: plumbcrazy

Re: lead sheet - 09/13/16 06:31 PM

Get a lead flashing for plumbing vents
Posted By: Cast

Re: lead sheet - 09/13/16 06:46 PM

HD aluminum foil will suffice for a test. The unit will need complete shielding if suffering external interference. A sheet won't help. Can you relocate it?

Re: lead sheet - 09/13/16 06:55 PM

Flashing for a vent could probably be made to work. My local hardware store doesn't carry any lead flashing. I'll have to try somewhere else.

Not sure what you mean by relocate it. This is the transducer on the bottom of the trolling motor. I have moved the transducer forward and aft on the trolling motor, but with no luck. Trying to shield the transducer with lead is a last ditch effort. Unfortunately, I have tried all of the "normal" things to try and solve this interference problem.

Bryan

Re: lead sheet - 09/13/16 07:01 PM

Ok, so when you turn on the trolling motor it burns down the electronics display? That device is made to mount like that, so what does the dealer have to say?

What size lead sheet do you need? I make boolits.

Re: lead sheet - 09/13/16 07:09 PM

When the trolling motor is on, the sonar display "greys" out. When the TM is back off, the sonar display returns to normal.

7" x 10" x 1/16" thick is about what I am looking for. That should wrap most of the way around the motor housing on this TM. I am going to look at a plumbing supply store for flashing.

I relaod, but I have never tried casting my own stuff.

Re: lead sheet - 09/13/16 07:12 PM

In a nutshell, Lowrance told me it was a Minn Kota problem....and Minn Kota told me it was a Lowrance problem.

Re: lead sheet - 09/13/16 07:25 PM

Craig's list. I have a little if you strike out, but I have my doubts if it will be sufficient. Roofers use it too I think.

Re: lead sheet - 09/13/16 07:52 PM

Thank You for the help.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: lead sheet - 09/13/16 08:01 PM

All the normal stuff I guess, the skeg grounding, routing of cables,chokes,ferrite rings,removing onboard charger, make sure the tm brushes and seals are in good shape?

Re: lead sheet - 09/13/16 08:21 PM

All of the normal stuff has been done and/or tried....except removing the onboard charger. That is one I haven't heard before. Care to elaborate?

Re: lead sheet - 09/13/16 09:11 PM

and the blinker fluid!

Re: lead sheet - 09/13/16 10:24 PM

Always the blinker fluid....

Re: lead sheet - 09/13/16 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: BPKlein
All of the normal stuff has been done and/or tried....except removing the onboard charger. That is one I haven't heard before. Care to elaborate?

If you have a multi bank onboard charger that is connected to both cranking battery and trolling motor batteries can sometimes allow RFI to travel from cranking battery to trolling motor batteries through the charger. It is also best to make sure you test for rfi while boat is in water, if you are not currently doing so.

Re: lead sheet - 09/14/16 12:27 AM

Thank You. That is one I haven't considered.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: lead sheet - 09/14/16 02:09 PM

Hmm. Good tip I may try. I'm thinking instead of removing it I'll just disconnect leads from charger to cranking battery. That may be what your saying instead of totally removing the charger, but I'd DEFINATELY want those leads covered so I don't plug charger in forgetting they're NOT connected. I have just a slight interference on my electronics, especially if I use SI up front, when I hit the TM power. Maybe that'll clear it up totally. Makes sense to me. Thanks.
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: lead sheet - 09/16/16 07:42 PM

Hope this helps the OP and others. I was having a little interference on a MK as noted and tried all the suggested things to close but not cured. Then I took some 3/4" heater core hose about 12 inches long (trim to length as needed) and split it length ways. I wrapped the transducer cable with aluminum foil from the transducer to up and over the motor housing and then placed the heater hose over that and taped it closed with electrical tape. Zip tied the hose to the shaft and I haven't had a lick of interference since. When I switched to the Xi5 this was all I needed for a crystal clear front unit.

Re: lead sheet - 09/22/16 01:23 PM

BlueNitro... That will be my next project to try and clear up this problem. Will report back. Thank You.

Bryan

Re: lead sheet - 10/02/16 04:40 PM

Aluminum foil over the cable trick did not help. On to some other ideas.

Bryan

Re: lead sheet - 10/02/16 07:20 PM

This is what my last resort was and fixed mine. I hesitated to try it due to the cost and no guarantee to work but it did fix my issue. I was having rfi from 2 different transducers and this took care of it.

http://www.humminbird.com/Products/TMC-1/
Posted By: Allan W

Re: lead sheet - 10/03/16 07:46 PM

Try the choke 44 Diesel suggested. It has cleared up mine and several others. Place it as close to the TM as you can and pay attention when connecting it, it has a line side and load side.

Re: lead sheet - 10/03/16 07:57 PM

I didn't see the choke, link on phone no work. But a choke is an inductor and the classic fix for noise on a power line. Place it close to the load and wire in series so power passes thru it to get to the load. It will remove the power line interference if it's big enough.

Re: lead sheet - 10/03/16 09:01 PM

44, Ill take a look. Thank You.

Allan, Chokes did not help at all. Thank You though.

Cast, Thank You for the help, but chokes did not help at all.

Bryan
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum