Texas Fishing Forum

I Pilot and Hum 859

Posted By: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.

I Pilot and Hum 859 - 08/16/16 09:40 PM

Installed a 859 .. when on anchor I get interference.. do the inline noise filters work ? It is hooked into the built in transducer ...
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: I Pilot and Hum 859 - 08/16/16 10:10 PM

Is your 859 wired straight to the starting battery or somewhere up in the bow area with the trolling motor?

Wire direct to the starting battery and contact Humminbird and they will send you a ferrite ring

1st option wire to starting battery
2nd option only after 1st option is ferrite ring.

Also I have seen where the Humminbird unit was moved away (to the right) from the trolling motor 4" and the unit cleared up.

Re: I Pilot and Hum 859 - 08/17/16 02:29 AM

David , it is wired straight to the starting battery .. And the head unit is on the dash and far away from the trolling motor ..
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: I Pilot and Hum 859 - 08/18/16 02:30 AM

I have not ever put a ferrite ring on the adpter cable for the US2 transducer. Not sure why you are getting interference. Seems you have everything connected correctly.

Try going into menu and switching 2D to the US2 transducer if there is an option on that unit. I can't recall...
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: I Pilot and Hum 859 - 08/18/16 02:52 AM

Interference can be caused by many things such as cable routing, worn brushes and water intrusion from the trolling motor, on board battery chargers. The ferrites are just one remedy that can work for some and not others. Its a process of elimination. One of the most common solutions is to separate the trolling motor power cables away from the transducer cable if possible

Re: I Pilot and Hum 859 - 08/18/16 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: 44 Diesel
Interference can be caused by many things such as cable routing, worn brushes and water intrusion from the trolling motor, on board battery chargers. The ferrites are just one remedy that can work for some and not others. Its a process of elimination. One of the most common solutions is to separate the trolling motor power cables away from the transducer cable if possible

They are not together.. trolling motor wires are on the right side from center console and transducer wire ( 30 ft ) is on the left .. now , they are close right in the center where they com into the console.. I cant help that.. when I say interference, better description is it fades .. like I lose some of the signal.. not like lines straight up and down interference, if that makes any sense .. and when I am on the anchor feature..

Re: I Pilot and Hum 859 - 08/19/16 12:15 AM

Which Minn Kota do you have? The late model minn kotas have a fuse in the head that is for thi issue.

Re: I Pilot and Hum 859 - 08/19/16 12:23 AM

This is a fuse

this is from a terrova

Re: I Pilot and Hum 859 - 08/20/16 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: 44 Diesel
Which Minn Kota do you have? The late model minn kotas have a fuse in the head that is for thi issue.

I have the Ternona .. It's about 3.5 yrs old .. Do I need to check to see if mine has the fuse ?

Re: I Pilot and Hum 859 - 08/20/16 08:45 PM

It will have the fuse, check and see if it is blown
Posted By: Allan W

Re: I Pilot and Hum 859 - 08/21/16 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.
David , it is wired straight to the starting battery .. And the head unit is on the dash and far away from the trolling motor ..

Humminbird makes a in line choke you run the TM power through as close to and before the TM. I have used it several times on several different boats to eliminate the problem you describe. They were also wired straight to the battery and the choke eliminated the interference.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: I Pilot and Hum 859 - 08/21/16 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Allan W

Humminbird makes a in line choke you run the TM power through as close to and before the TM. I have used it several times on several different boats to eliminate the problem you describe. They were also wired straight to the battery and the choke eliminated the interference.

TMC-1

Re: I Pilot and Hum 859 - 08/30/16 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Wayne P.
Originally Posted By: Allan W

TMC-1

That hooks to the trolling motor ? What gage wire is that ? My graph is not close to the trolling motor .. It's on my dash ..

Re: I Pilot and Hum 859 - 08/30/16 11:29 PM

correct it does connect to trolling motor to reduce the RFI, wire is 10 gauge
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum