Texas Fishing Forum

HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot

Posted By: NUG

HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/07/16 11:25 PM

I have power, volt reader reads 24 volts when I go to start it I press any button on the remote all icons show up for a few seconds then turn off. How do you get the trolling motor to turn. WHen you hold down the learn button nothing beeps like it said it should. Just cant seem to power up the unit. Any help would be great thanks. this is a new unit.

Bo
817-233-6423
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/07/16 11:31 PM

Is the remote fully charged

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/07/16 11:34 PM

Went and bought a brand new battery.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/08/16 12:08 AM

Is the "new battery" fully charged?

If it is take the battery out and the put it in again.

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/08/16 12:15 AM

Did that same thing still happens the remote takes a 2450 3 volt battery. Remote is not rechargeable.

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/08/16 12:42 AM

The trolling motor says its fully charged, problem is I cant seem to get the green system ready light to come on even though it is plugged in and has power. The owners manual says it will come on when it has power. Ideas?
Posted By: 9094

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/08/16 12:57 AM

Is it in the down and locked position? If not nothing will work.
Also check and make sure the cord is not in a bind or stretched too tight.

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/08/16 01:14 AM

Just tried that out to double check no good guess I will call Minn kota tec help.

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/08/16 01:23 AM

the trolling motor has to be deployed for anything to happen, is this what you checked?

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/08/16 01:57 AM

Yes it was deployed and locked yet the green ready light still no go, I even tried to pull it up with out pushing the release button again to make sure it was locked down.

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/08/16 02:02 AM

you are getting the 4 red battery lights to come on when you push the yellow button

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/08/16 02:31 AM

correct 4 red lights come on when you hit the test button.

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/08/16 02:32 AM

Just not sure if there is a sensor messing up or what.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/08/16 02:39 AM

Did you try the foot pedal to see if it responds?

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/08/16 02:46 AM

I could not the foot pedal to do anything. I thought their might be a way to turn it on that way but guess not. Guess you cant do anything until the read green light is.

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/08/16 03:27 AM

It seems as if the controller is not acknowledging that the motor is deployed. Could be a loose or disconnected wire or circuit board. Minn Kota customer service will fix you up. They are usually real good to deal with
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/08/16 03:28 AM

If it is new, call Minn Kota and let them tell you where to take it. If it isn't new, you might try taking the head off, there are just 6 small screws underneath. Then check and make sure that the wires are all connected. Even without the remote, the foot control should be working. I'd also try disconnecting from the battery and then reconnecting.

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/08/16 02:43 PM

Called Minn Kota there is a reed switch which is a clear cylinder that lets the motor know when its deployed or stow I will have to check this out when I get off work in case this happens to anyone. This is a new unit also they said you should this problem that it is an easy fix just have to take the side panel off and verify its in place.
Posted By: Jones Trolling Motor

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/08/16 07:28 PM

You are loosing a connection between the trolling motor and batteries when you load the system (attempt to turn the trolling motor on). Just pressing the battery gauge does not load the system. Check all the connections at the battery, the breaker(s), plug if it has one and any other connections between the trolling motor and battery. Also, a bad battery will cause this same problem.
John

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/09/16 03:07 PM

Battery charge and volt meter both said 24 volts fully charged. Went had the batteries test no go guess the batteries could not handle the load to start up. Is there a tool you can buy that measure amps on a battery?
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/09/16 03:40 PM

Harbor Freight sells a resistive battery tester for around $12. It will tell you if the battery is holding up under a load..
Posted By: Jones Trolling Motor

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/09/16 07:08 PM

Your looking to see the amp draw of the trollingmotor and measure it. That number has already been determined by MinnKota to be apx 56A on an 80# motor. When you turn the motor on (load the system) that is what the motor is asking for. If the wiring/connections cannot deliver, it will not turn the Terrova on. A single strand wire will return a voltage number, but will not handle an amp load. If the batteries checked good, then start looking for a bad connection in the wiring. Still sounds like something is causing the resistance for a voltage drop. BTW, if you want to measure DC amps, you will need a DC amp meter capable of measuring at least 75A. A good clamp on meter is going to cost $100.00, give or take.
John

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/09/16 07:36 PM

Yeah the batteries checked out bad so hopefully when I replace them tonight the system will load and start up, I never got the system to turn on (the ready green light). Thanks to all who gave advice for different things.

Bo

Re: HELP Minnkota Terrova 80lb I-Pilot - 06/11/16 01:39 AM

Love this thing works great. banana
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum