Texas Fishing Forum

rain gear

Posted By: Ethanheadfishing1995

rain gear - 05/27/16 02:36 AM

im looking for good rain gear I've tried gore_tex,frog togs I was thinking about trying the under armor suit or the huk suit just looking for some input before I go spend $500 on a new rain suit thanks
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: rain gear - 05/27/16 02:46 AM

do you need also to be warm?
Artic Armor and love it, nothing compares to it I have found
not for warm weather
Posted By: TCK73

Re: rain gear - 05/28/16 03:14 AM

[quote=lenahorse]do you need also to be warm?
Artic Armor and love it, nothing compares to it I have found
not for warm weather [/quote

Solid advice, AA is good gear. I keep a set of the h20 X press gear for warmer weather. It's not top of the line, but it will keep you dry if you spray it with water proofer twice a year.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: rain gear - 05/28/16 06:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Ethanheadfishing1995
im looking for good rain gear I've tried gore_tex,frog togs I was thinking about trying the under armor suit or the huk suit just looking for some input before I go spend $500 on a new rain suit thanks

"Gore-tex" is not a clothing brand that makes rainsuits, but you appear to be speaking of it as though it is. It is actually a fabric material/technology used in rainsuits made by probably hundreds of outdoor apparel manufacturers. It is a very good membrane with great features, though it's typically sandwiched inside the fabric of a rainsuit where you never see it. While you may have tried a rainsuit with gore-tex fabric, you apparently did not try a good rainsuit made with gore-tex fabric. Many consider Gore-tex to be the premier membrane for inclement weather clothing - It's what actually makes a garment waterproof, not a coating sprayed on.

Gore-tex definitely works, and it is used in the manufacture of some of the best rainsuits offered to consumers. Most manufacturers who use Gore-tex will promote the fact that they do because of the good reputation. Some of the better known ones are a bit heavy (warm) for mild-to-hot weather in Texas, so getting one suitable for all year can be challenging.

The Bass Pro 100mph suit is good, but a bit heavy and warm here much of the year. The Pro Qualifier rainsuit model may be lighter. (I haven't compared them recently.) Cabela's Guidewear rainsuit is excellent, except too heavy for much of our mild/hot weather. Their Bass Guidewear has quite popular from what I understand. It's lightweight compared to many of the other choices, and is my favorite so far. All of these use Gore-tex, but I'm betting that whatever "gore-tex rainsuit" you used wasn't of their caliber.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: rain gear - 05/31/16 03:59 PM

I bought the HUK suit last fall and am very happy with it.
Word of warning,buy a size bigger than you think you need.
Posted By: californiabass22

Re: rain gear - 06/07/16 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: forkduc
I bought the HUK suit last fall and am very happy with it.
Word of warning,buy a size bigger than you think you need.

+1 but only if you are buying (if i remember correctly) the "Krptic" series. Which is the grey/black camo w/ yellow <-----this runs smaller. I am 6'5" 220 and got XL which fit me good in the waste, but are a tad to short.

I have heard that the new Huk gear fits more true to size. But this is only hearsay. All in all, good stuff. You will not be let down!
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: rain gear - 06/12/16 11:19 AM

I use Cabela's Guide Wear Gore Tex in the warmer months and Arctic Armor in the colder months.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum